1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon EOS R5

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by EvilGenius, Jan 29, 2020.

1. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

If it's so much cheaper than a 1Dx3, then how do they justify the specs being so close? Unless, dare I say it, the cripple hammer is unleashed on the R5 in somewhere not yet clear.

What spec of the R5 is clearly below the 1Dx3?

2. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Weather sealing, build quality, battery size and life, rated shutter life, external connectivity... This isn't the tank masquerading as a camera that the 1DX series are. It's a 5d replacement. A replacement on steroids maybe, but replacement none the less.

Keep in mind too, there are plans for more R series cameras ABOVE the R5. Next in line after the R6 should be an RS, or now perhaps, R3..? with a speculated 75mp+ sensor to replace the 5DS.

3. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

This duty was removed a while ago. And why (I think) all Sony bodies released since the A6400 do not have a recording limit. Canon are now just being Canon and crippling it unnecessarily.

If anyone believes the R5's 8K video will be remotely usable, then you are dreaming. It's purely marketing hype. If there wasn't a substantial drawback, then they would have released all the specs. Can guarantee there will be no autofocus and I bet the recording limit will be something laughable like 1 minute. There are going to be so many disappointed Canon fanboys when the full specs are released.

Otherwise, it is really nice to see Canon match a 4 year old Sony finally.

4. Hater

Hater Member

Even 4K is a mugs game yet I see Samsung et all pushing it on their new phones. Yeah awesome. I guess 4x “zoom” on any prime lens is kind of cool

5. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

The main concern I think at the moment apart from no autofocus is if they use that ridiculous motion jpeg format. They've sort of hinted at that possibility by spruiking the ability to 'extract high quality stills from 8k footage'. Ok great, except if it's mjpeg, the only way to keep up with the bitrate will be cfast or cfexpress cards, and who can afford enough cards large enough to record footage at what.. ~16gb per minute? Hell no.

6. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Well I'm a Canon user, wouldn't call myself a fanboy.

They could drop the video function altogether and it wouldn't concern me in the slightest. I really don't know what ratio of buyers of such a camera care about video these days, I know both of my DSLRs shoot video but all I did when I bought them was test it out in the backyard twice and then never looked at it again.

Of far more concern to me is the price and EVF performance. I won't jump systems at this point though - it's either an affordable RF body with adapted EF glass or stick with EF for a while yet. I want a great sensor with lots of MP, awesome AF, super responsive EVF and 5D/7D-like controls, yet video to me is as important as scene modes.

7. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

A lot of people are expecting canon to come along and ruin this camera with the cripple hammer. Given past efforts it wouldn't be surprising. I read an interesting article on PetaPixel today that went some way to describing why that probably was in the past though.

https://petapixel.com/2020/02/13/why-did-canon-just-now-decide-to-wake-up/

The TL;DR of the article is that Canon have had shitty processors up until now. They simply didn't have the processing horsepower required to keep up with the competition.

The example is the 1DX2, which needed 2 processors to manage 4k120, and that was the pinnacle of what they could achieve. Even then it was cropped and with that crappy mjpeg format. When the 5d4 came out with only one processor to the 1dx2's two, it simply didn't have the balls to handle anything more than 4k30. That seems to have changed, Canon seem to have taken the time needed to let their processor division catch up. So the question now becomes, are Canon willing to put it all on the table, release a camera that is the best they can do, possibly cannibalising sales from elsewhere and basically doing everything that people have accused them of using the cripple hammer to avoid doing in the past? I think if the theory of them being held back by a lack of processing horsepower is accurate, and they are serious about getting back to being proper market leaders, then they have no choice. They have to give us everything. Sony already are and it's working out pretty damned well for them.

8. Hater

Hater Member

they need to appeal to as many people as possible and heaps of people are comparing this to the A7 series so y'know

9. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Most of the indepth reviews and analysis are done by youtube reviewers, who naturally rate the video performance as important.

While there are no doubt users who make use of the video abilities and desire 8K, the bulk of the rest of us don't care.

10. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I didn't realise my DX2 could shoot 4k@120fps..

11. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Shush you. I meant 1080@120 :Paranoid: :o

Main argument I've heard for it so far is customers of professionals wanting more 'mixed content' and preferring one photographer to do both rather than hiring a 'tog and videographer for the same gig. Meh.

I'm with phreeky82 on the video specs, I don't care. Can count on one hand the number of times I've shot video in the last couple of years, and even then most of the time it was only because I was covering a subject I'd covered every other day that week and wanted to do something different.

My main concern is autofocus performance at the promised frame rates. 12/20fps is bloody useless if they can only shoot at 5fps ala EOS R with AI Servo autofocus.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  12. Hater

Hater Member

98.99% of people who make use of the video abilities also don't care about 8K

the other 1.01% being the specs fanboys who don't actually use the item, just brag about what it can do

that doesn't make sense, totally different skill sets

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  13. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

That might be a fun conversation to watch you have with Bridezilla™ lol. Wedding photographer is the obvious thought that comes to my mind. Customer just wanting to hire someone to 'do it all'.

14. Xang

Xang Member

I don't know anyone who shoots stills and video on the same day, that seems ridiculous. There are plenty of studios who use a shared gear pool though, or individuals who shoot both on different jobs. So, there's definitely value in a good hybrid body.

Doubt anyone actually wants 8K but looks great on a spec sheet.

herzeg likes this.
  15. mtma

mtma Member

I would think it would be more useful for freelance journo kinda work. Only really can be equipped with one piece of kit (either due to financing or load), needs to travel to the shot a lot in whatever method is available at the time.

8K and be there.

ED- but then again a decent snap is probably worth more than a short 8K cap of supershakycam footage

16. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Media want a photo always, video if it's interesting, and drone footage for guaranteed clicks/subscriptions. Of course at the same time that they want these things they're making full time photographers redundant and putting iphones in the hands of wet behind the ears journos because they can do just as good a job, right?

8k in this regard is entirely useless. Any footage being uploaded to a news site is already being crushed down to 720p if it's lucky and compressed to within an inch of its life before finally being wrapped inside some 3rd party supplied video player like brightcove that's blocked by any adblocker/anti-tracker worth its salt.

On the bright side, this thing will have IBIS, so supershakycam footage shouldn't be an issue!

17. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Only with RF glass tho no? Unless I read that part wrong ...

18. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I read it as combined IBIS + lens IS only with RF glass. I assume with EF glass it's one or the other.

19. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Something that has just occurred to me is that the new RF 100-500 F/4.5-7.1, @ 500mm has an f-stop that is essentially already going beyond the diffraction limit of a ~50MP FF sensor (which is also more or less the same pixel density of a 7D2). Even on the older Canon 18MP APS-C sensors - with strong AA filters - going beyond F/7.1 shows degradation.

They've given the 100-500 an L designation. Does that mean that Canon are going to stick to somewhere between 50MP and 60MP for some time? Or are they going to deem it acceptable for a brand new L lens to show diffraction softness at the long end? And that's assuming that it's razor sharp @ 500mm wide open - if it needs any stopping down then things only get worse.

20. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Nah so it's supposed to be 5 stops with IBIS alone, then a further 2-3 stops additional, 7-8 total, working in conjunction with lens IS. That part I'm assuming will only work correctly with RF glass. What happens with EF mount IS lenses + IBIS? No idea. I imagine with a lot of lenses if the combination doesn't work you'd probably be better off turning off lens IS and letting the body handle it.

I'm really disappointed with the 100-500. I can see their goal was to get a super zoom into a small body, but it feels like they've paid too heavily in aperture to buy that extra 100mm over the 100-400. I'm left wondering what this lens is really for. I'm not going to travel with a 500mm lens, and I can get a better range with wider aperture out of a sigma or tamron, especially with the 60-600.. Yes I pay in size, but if I'm not travelling I don't care. So I guess the only compelling reason left to buy this is for the combined 7-8 stops of IS and bank on Canons new found low light focusing ability. Really not convinced.