1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon EOS R5

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by EvilGenius, Jan 29, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Jared Polin posted this vid up yesterday testing shooting the 1DX3 as a mirrorless camera:

My main concern has been the ability of the R5/6 autofocus to keep up with the promised frame rates. This vid pretty clearly demonstrates canon have that ability now. The only remaining question is how much of that are canon willing to put into the R5/6.

2. Hater

Hater Member

how much canon giveth, or how much the cripple hammer taketh away?

3. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Well this ability is clearly coming from their new digic X processor. Rumors are saying the R5 will have the Digic X, but a 'different version' than the 1DX3. Does that mean a different version that doesn't have to work in conjunction with a digic 8 for autofocus/metering or does it mean Digic X gimped edition for lesser models?

4. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I personally know pros who are also doing video to expand their services - they have the hardware already, so why not learn? However, I think most of their work is one or the other.

5. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

6. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

It's not pretty, but the grip looks solid.

7. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

8. Hater

Hater Member

9. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

It is pretty funny watching people complain about UHS-II SD cards being 'old tech' and too slow etc, meanwhile the Sony A9II has two of them only.

Personally this is exactly the combo I was hoping for.

Deftone2k likes this.
  10. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

The usual internet opinions based on hypothetical situations rather than real world use and implementation haha

11. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

They are the bottleneck in the A9ii system though. Sony really needs to move to CFExpress.

12. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah there's no denying that. Old mate Jared Polin put up another vid comparing the 1dx3 and a9-2, at one point they show the buffer clearing on the A9, it was staggeringly slow, considering the 1dx3 practically refreshes it's buffer the second you stop shooting, assuming you made a dent at all.

The R5 isn't supposed to be that camera though. Compare it to the camera it is replacing, the 5d4... One CF and one SD. Not exactly setting any pace records there. And what about the competition, the A7r4 or nikon Z7? The sony only has 2x SD uhs2, the nikon at least has an xqd card slot, but only one. The R5 has leapfrogged them both here. It's given you the fasted possible card solution as well as a 2nd card slot for the internet warriors who likely never shoot with two cards anyway. If that isn't the best of both worlds what is?

13. Xang

Xang Member

If you're shooting dual cards (as you should be for paid work), you're only as fast as your slowest card.

14. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

nisstrust likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

HUGE news from Canon Australia via Facebook:

8K video with no crop AND with autofocus. It's starting to sound like Canon may have misplaced their cripple hammer....

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  16. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Far out. Sounds like production will be slowed though (but hey, sounds like production of many things will be slowed as will peoples purchasing power).

I don't care too much about the video aspects. AF sounds like the goods though. Not sure I want to drop the $$ that this thing will cost - it's basically either a new camera body or a new mountain bike, no way the other half will allow both :)

17. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I think by July we'll all be in quarantine and won't be able to buy anything anyway lol. But yeah, production apparently running at 25% capacity.

I'm pretty much sold on this camera. There's enough info out there now to pretty much guarantee this camera will be able to deliver the stated specs and won't be hiding behind any marketing BS. I still have both my kidneys so I'll be getting this, one way or another.

18. Hater

Hater Member

Still don't understand why. I bought a C100 instead.

19. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Agreed. I just ive seen a few posts shared and things like that headline it makes me cringe.

It's like oh you finally came to the party..

The competition is good though, keen to seen the Sony responses!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  20. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Finally came to the party, ok.. but don't downplay this too much. Assuming the images out of this camera are any good - and this is the part where we all get to sit back and wait, canon haven't just come to the party, they've set the new standard. I know you commented earlier that the specs list looks like an a7r3.. Sorry but you're sadly mistaken there. The R5 has the potential to embarrass an A7R4. You know well enough that megapixels don't rule the world, and that's about the only area the a7r4 has the advantage. Comparisons of the autofocus and features like eyeAF between the 1dx3 and a9-2 are pretty are pretty favourable so far, we're approaching another of those 'if' moments again, but if the R5 is comparable... you might just find yourself wishing you still had your canon glass.

To be clear though, I'm on board with the 8k vid specs opinion. I don't care. It is a serious, serious jump in capability though, you can't ignore it, whether you need it or not.