1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon EOS R5

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by EvilGenius, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Xang

Xang Member

An iPhone XS has a sensor around 41mm².

A full frame sensor is around 860mm².

Also, Apple make the fastest ARM chips in the world, and they don't sell them to anyone else.

The 8K recording is an incredibly impressive spec. I'm interested to see how it performs in the real world, especially considering Canon's past limitations in processing speed.

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yeah, I specifically said Apple was an example and not the only fast arm SoC available.

All I’m saying it’s perfectly reasonable to expect this is a solved problem.

3. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Canon won't want it cutting out on users with an overheat warning. That's something phones can sometimes do, whereas Canon will be making it work to spec in all expected environments.

That is a very different design brief and engineering challenge.

I think they'll make it work though. It's a reasonable size body without a mirrorbox etc, there is room to play with.

4. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Neglected this thread for a bit, but there hasn't been all that much R5 related news anyway.

Release date is confirmed for July 9th, along with the R6 and a whole bunch of lenses.

• Canon EOS R5
    • Canon EOS R6
    • Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 IS STM
    • Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
    • Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM
    • Canon RF 100-500mm f/4-7.1L IS USM
    • Canon RF 600mm f/11 DO IS STM
    • Canon RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM
    • Teleconverter RF 1.4x
    • Teleconverter RF 2x

Not sure how I feel about F11 lenses, hell I wasn't all that happy about the F7.1 100-500. Just have to keep reminding myself the larger mount on these mirrorless bodies helps with the wide end, not the long.

I think the really interesting news lately has been about the R6. It's starting to look like a pretty attractive alternative to the R5.

• 20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
    • IBIS
    • 12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
    • Oversampled 5K Video
    • 4K @ 60p
    • FullHD @ 120p
    • Canon Log
    • 10-bit
    • Zebras
    • AF identical to the EOS R5
    • No RAW video mode
    • Dual SD UHS-II slots
    • Head detection AF
    • Animal detection AF
    • Identical 5 million dot EVF as the EOS R5
    • No top-down screen
    • Build quality not as good as the EOS R5
    • Bluetooth 4.2 (EOS R5 to get Bluetooth 5.0)
    • LP-E6NH Battery (Same as the EOS R5)
    • Announcement July 9, 2020
    • Under $2500 USD (Rumored)

There have been a few typo releases showing the R5 as a 26mp sensor, which is impossible. If instead the R6 is a 26mp, that I'd be pretty happy with. Rest of the specs are looking pretty good. Not quite sure about the 2x UHS2 SD slots.. We have the A9 and A92 to show us that SD cards can't keep up with that frame rate, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of difference in pricing between SD UHS2 cards and CFExpress cards, despite the gaping chasm that is the performance gap between them.

5. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I already avoid stopping down my longer lenses past around F/9 on my 6D2 and F/7.1 on my 7D as the diffraction starts to soften the image. I guess 20MP FF puts F/11 right at the point of where DLA starts to play a role.

Maybe Canon have done something magical and will prove me wrong however. If pushing for smaller/light long glass I would've preferred the approach of a 400 F/6.3 DO and matching TC for those that want to push it.

Those savings I'd been putting away for a holiday.......hmm, maybe they'll be spent elsewhere now as it doesn't look like I'll be going overseas anytime soon!

6. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

The only shots I regularly take where that high aperture won't bother me is aircraft landings. I usually shoot those on shutter priority down at 1/60th which in broad daylight means I'm at iso 100 and F22 or so. Doesn't take the sun going down much though before that F22 becomes F6.3, and then for the iso to start climbing through the roof. Starting at F11.. no thanks. But I guess we'll see what these new bodies can do with them.

7. Derfman

Derfman Member

I am actually pretty excited abot the launch now, as like others, my travel plans are on hold, and it looks like a great for wildlife, travel and Underwater.

Are any stores in Syd or oz doing launches?

8. CeeAyeEee

CeeAyeEee Member

Is this even a feature? what about tree detection AF? I prefer rock stack detection AF in my cameras
    But seriously, Will EYE detection be a future firmware update that early adopters sweat on?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020 at 6:28 AM
  9. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

EyeAF has been mentioned for the R5, along with body, face and animal tracking. I guess there's two ways to take this spec listed for the R6, either it won't have EyeAF, but will have the face tracking, or it's a crappy translation or incomplete data and they just haven't mentioned EyeAF. Estimate pricing has this about $1000-$1200 less than the R5, so they might just drop it.

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

at least canon are innovating nicely.

the F11 wildlife lenses will appeal to daylight wildlife photographers, as far as diffraction i'd think they are designing them optically to help in that regard.
    Personally I think nikon has got it right with their PF series, f5.6 500mm is good and you can use a 1.4x TC if you have the light and need the range.

They'll keep eye detection out of the R6 just to force people to the other more expensive bodies - thats the canon of old at least.

11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I hope they dont cripple it in that way. It is honestly what will lend itself to the R6 being the best well rounded camera for multiple markets -_-

12. Xang

Xang Member

Surely the R6 will have eye-detection, although it may be awkward if they plan to keep the EOS R around and put them both in the $2500-3500 range together.

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

its the sort of thing that manufacturers like to use to differentiate products - like also making one more video-centric and the other photo-centric.
    Will see come release time but yeah what reason would there be for anyone to buy an EOS-R, all that R+D money down the drain if the rumoured specs are true

14. mtma

mtma Member

Corrupt politician AF, would be a killer feature for any media pap.

15. Derfman

Derfman Member