1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon IP5200 printer ink usage

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Stone2x, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Hey,

I couldn't find an appropriate hardware forum for this so i'm putting it in here. Anyway, I have a Canon IP5200 printer which takes 5 ink cartridges and i've got an annoying problem where if one ink cartridge is empty, it doesn't print... The printer software just doesn't let it print. So last time it happened I bought all 5 new cartridges and since then I have only printed in black (greyscale chosen in print setup) so that I wouldn't use the coloured ink and therefore only need to replace the black cartridges in future. BUT... All the colour cartridges are empty even though i've only printed black :confused:

Is there a way to make it ONLY use the black cartridges? Or to work with only black cartridges installed? Or some way to stop the software from preventing me printing?

There is still black ink left but it won't let me print because the coloured cartridges are empty.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  2. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Unfortunately this printer uses ink to clean its printhead... Even if you print only black, it will still eat colour ink. PC Authority ran a review a little while ago and said that only 48% of the ink actually ends up on the paper...

Just buy some cheap non genuine cartridges and it'll ease the pain..

I won't be buying any canon printers ever again...

3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

my epson c67 does this too :(

it has black + 3 colours, and the colours seem to be depleting when we don't even use them!

stupid epson

4. OP
    OP
    Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Thanks. I guess I will go for the non-Canon ink because last time it cost $100 for all 5 cartridges at a discount from eBay.

I'll be buying a non-colour printer next time :mad:

5. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

www.valueprint.com.au has all the 5 cartridges in a pack for $50.. the only concession is that you have to pull off the chip from the original cartridges and stick them onto the compatibles.. THat and it doesn't report the amount of ink in the cartridge, but you can clearly see if you've run out of ink.. my theory is that if the lack of ink destroys the printer head... i'll consider it a bonus and it'll give me reason to invest into something more 'affordable'..

6. keeni

keeni Member

I used to work in as a canon warranty agent.

Printing in greyscale uses the colour inks. It mixes the colours to get you the greys.
    And i would highly recommend against 3rd party inks unless you want to be up for $150 for a new printhead. And i for one am yet to see a 3rd party ink that gives you the same colours as canon ink

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  7. OP
    OP
    Stone2x

Stone2x Member

keeni... As you were a warranty agent, do you know of a way of not using the colour inks??? I only print text from webpages and want it in black and white, so I pick greyscale. I assumed greyscale would be made of black and reduced black, not colour.

Anyone know of a decent printer that doesn't do this stupid shit? Low ink price too would be good.

Cheers :)

8. bscampbell

bscampbell Member

This is happening with my parents IP4200...no colour images/text being printed, yet all the colour inks disappear.
    The printer is seldomly used, so the initial nozzle clean shouldn't use up that much ink!
    I rang Canon to complain, and they said they have not had complaints about this **cough**bullshit**cough**...
    They said to run it on black only...I argued that it should be smart enough to know when only black is required, particularly since it has a dedicated 'text' tank.
    What a load of marketing bull...I guess extra tanks mean extra money for them... :mad:

9. OP
    OP
    Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Yeah, I use mine about once a week on average and all that is is one page of text or printing black text onto a DVD. It's lasted about 6 months, it's not very efficient, i'd love to know where all the ink went.

10. taztassio

taztassio Member

just change the 1 ink then, and you can use all the rest?

i have this printer, i run out of black, i replace it. Or print in Blue

11. OP
    OP
    Stone2x

Stone2x Member

See this pic, I haven't printed one coloured document with these ink tanks:
    [​IMG]

I can just replace one, but then next week i'll need to replace 2 more then the week after 2 more. It's a joke, colour should not be used to print black and grey text. I'd be more than happy to change the black ones when they were empty, but having to change them all because the coloured ink vanishes is ridiculous.

12. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

With a printer costing $150.. and 5 ink cartridges costing $125.. the maths tell me that its all a huge joke.. If i am lucky enough for the printhead to become busted, i'll consider it a huge blessing and never invest in anything canon again.. If canon chooses to chip its cartridges to defeat compatibles, and then have the absurbity to say.. if you print black and white, it still uses colour, then their printers really do belong in the bin.. Its just an extremely poor effort on canons part. The reason why we buy cheap printers is to get cheap printing.. if canon can't understand this simple market space then hopefully their printers will fail.

Edit: Anyone using this printer for 6x4 prints is seriously throwing money down the drain.. Yes, it is handy to output a print straight away, but when you compare the cost of paper and ink, compared to a 29 cent print from big W.. it soon adds up... plus the print from Big W or wherever else is chemically treated

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  13. bscampbell

bscampbell Member

Especially since there is a dedicated text tank!!!

14. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

You are paying for the convenience. Ive got a 5200 also but just for photo printing the occasional photo, I have a laser printer for the general text type stuff and if I have a lot of photos I go to Harvey Norman

15. Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister Member

I also have the IP5200. You can just push the resume button on the printer to force it to print even when it (software) says it's run out. My colours are all empty and i just keep replacing the black. All is fine.

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Have a look at this mob:

http://www.aussieinks.com.au/product.htm

I use there inks to refill my own cartriges. The colour reproduction leaves a little to be desired, but if you arent actually printing any colour images.. Who cares?

It is a little messy, but considerably cheaper.

17. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

hey i think i taught you eveything you know! :p

I still work as a canon warranty agent

as already said they use colours to make up greyscales. In addition to this if you leave your printer turned on all the time, Canon inkjets will do what they call a "purge" every 3 days, or after a set amount of pages printed. This is NOT to scam you out of ink or to raise revenue for canon, it's so the nozzles don't clog up in the print head (they're much finer than human hairs) and cause your lovely prints to turn out looking like a $2 hooker after a rough day.

Yes genuine inks are expensive, but they do cost more for a reason. They're generally of a much higher quality than third party inks (no matter what your 3rd party supplier tells you). You won't be up for a $110+ print head (depending on model) every 6-12 months, or a $50+ purge unit when it clogs up with dried up inferior ink, and you'll get print results that actually look like they're supposed to. Many 3rd party inks bleed on the page too giving you very fuzzy edges & even poor looking text.

Yes there are people that don't have any problems with using 3rd party inks, but trust me when i say you get sick of hearing sob stories about people's printers dying that could've easily been avoided by spending another $10 on cartridges. I've seen aftermarket inks kill printers instantly ie first print after installation. about 85% of printers that come in for warranty have 3rd party inks in them. We hardly see machines that use genuine ink, except for the occasional hardware fault.

A way to try & avoid them purging so much ink is turn the machine off after use. DON'T turn them off at the wall, or every time you turn it back on it will do a purge and dump some more ink.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  18. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

The way I see it.. The printer costs $140 or there abouts.. (My friend just bought an IP4300 for $143).. The cartridges are $25 each, maybe $23 if you're lucky.. so having 5 cartridges thats $125 in ink.. Now if i was saving $10 on 5 cartridges, i really would buy genuine canon inks.. But.. Its not.. I buy 5 cartridges for $50.. so thats a $75 saving.. Even if i was to only ever replace the cartridges with compatible cartridges twice, I've already saved the cost of the printer compared to genuine canon ink.. You could also argue that 5 cartridges costs $125, a brand new printer costs $143.. so thats $18 price difference.. and you get another 1 year warranty out of it.. Whichever angle i look at it, this printer is the biggest turd I've ever (unfortunately) purchased (and i've bought a few).. YEs, there is the convenience of having a printer to print nice quality photos, but at what cost? The economics far outway the advantages..

19. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yes there is risk, but that risk can be substantially reduced by doing some homework.

Add to that from what I can see the ink is well filtered on its way through the cartridge.

In any case I've been using this ink for over 2yrs, no problems other than poor colour reproduction which does not bother me, and does not noticably effect greyscale prints. IMHO the risk of a quality 3rd party ink is substantially outweighed by the savings of using said ink. And if it does eventually kill my printer, I can take those savings and buy a new one.

20. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

This is why I threw out my color inkjet printers. 99% of the stuff I want to print is text… My cheap(ish) mono laser does a much better job and the toner is reasonably priced to boot.

Printer manufactures are creating landfill by producing printers that require cartridges that equal their initial cost. Why not get a new printer each time? If I want to print color I’ll either pick up whatever is on special @ office works or HN for $45, or if it’s a photograph, 29 cents at Big W or whatever.