1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon lens repair in Sydney

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by srey, Feb 3, 2022.

1. srey

srey Member

Hey all, in need of some help here. After basically not touching my camera gear in ages, my brother asked if I could setup an ad-hoc style photo booth arrangement for his wedding (cam on tripod, remote release, lights etc). Did it for another mate's wedding a while back and it was a bit of fun, so no troubles.

Except after doing some tests at home tonight to figure out lighting gear, my 24-70L started playing up.
    At first I noticed the zoom hitting a stop at around 30mm as I wound it out, and now it throws an error message on the body as soon as I try and take a shot.

There's still a few weeks before the wedding, but I don't have anything else in the kit that'll cover the length, and I have no idea what state the camera industry is in in a covid world.

Anybody got any suggestions for reliable repair shops in Sydney? Somewhere near to the inner west would be ideal for convenience.

Cheers!

2. pezzy

pezzy Member

my 24-70 is also throwing an error code and i plan to take it to sydney camera repairs in ashfield. i had used them once for a 430ex repair. not sure how i should rate them. when i got it back it worked for a few days then started playing up. but after a few weeks, it started working perfectly again lol. the turnaround was a couple of weeks iirc. but this was a long time ago.

there's another mob in the city iirc that are rated highly. they are more expensive i think.

3. OP
    OP
    srey

srey Member

Thanks mate, I had seen the guys in Ashfield, tried to call them this afternoon but couldn't get through, will try again tomorrow cause it looks like they're open Saturday.

I actually bought an ex-rental 5D3 today and had a chat to the guys there, they recommended Camera Service Centre in the city. Spoke to the bloke there and he seemed to know his stuff; said his best guess is a barrel guide screw has fallen out inside and jammed up the aperture blades as well. If that's what it is I'm looking at $395, and hopefully a week turnaround.

4. pezzy

pezzy Member

i think ill take mine to camera service centre as well. i did email the guys at ashfield a few weeks back about my problem and they only replied once. and reading the google reviews on camera service centre, seems like they are more attentive.

5. OP
    OP
    srey

srey Member

Yeah, I spoke to the Ashfield guys today, seemed reasonable enough, but the guy from CSC was very personable and sounded like he'd been around this sort of gear for yonks, old school sorta technician.

Hoping to get in to see him on Monday, will let you know how I go.

6. OP
    OP
    srey

srey Member

Got a call on Friday from Camera Service Centre, lens is good to go. Zoom key had come off apparently, and busted the flex cable so it needed a new flex and the key fixed. $420 all done and dusted.

Won't be able to pick it up for a few days yet as I'm still in iso with the spicy cough, but will update this against once I've got it back in my hands and tested.

pezzy likes this.
  7. pezzy

pezzy Member

damn. that's almost as much as a second hander. but i guess its reasonable considering the job.

8. OP
    OP
    srey

srey Member

Really? I had a quick look before I decided to go ahead with a repair to see what they were fetching second hand now, and even Mk1 copies still seemed to be $750+?

F4 version looks like it can be had closer to 400, but not much cheaper I saw in the 2.8. Did I just not look hard enough?

9. pezzy

pezzy Member

no youre right. i just referenced the first ebay result, which was 600 bucks. so i figured that would be the market rate approx.

10. pezzy

pezzy Member

i ended up taking it to the guy at ashfield again cause i have no time in the weekday to goto the city one. mine apparently needs a full replacement of the aperture module. a bit bummed about it cause they will probably use some cheap 3rd party part. got quoted $395+gst. so possibly $434.50 + the $50 deposit, makes that almost $500 bucks, yikes! though not confirmed yet cause i don't know what that $395 entails.

it looks like they have moved as well. i remember a different house last time i went there. their new diggs looks a bit sketchy. a quick look showed me that their dust control consists of a plastic sheet cover lol. ah well. at least the guys legit.

11. CD

CD Member

Must be a common problem with 24-70's, mine just did the same thing last weekend :( zoom ring being weird near 24mm, then started throwing comms errors

12. pezzy

pezzy Member

yeah i believe its a known problem with this lens. on the bright side, repairers probably work on one often. most should be able to do it blind folded hehe.

13. OP
    OP
    srey

srey Member

What I discovered is that as soon as the zoom starts being weird, stop fucking around with the lens! Repairer I saw said that the screw that typically comes out of the guide isn't a major issue itself but if numptys (like me) continue to fuck around with it then it inevitably gets jammed around the flex cable and messes it up which adds a couple hundred bucks to the repair.

Deftone2k likes this.
  14. CD

CD Member

Too late :Paranoid: