1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon Powershot IXUS 400?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by MegaBaz, Jun 24, 2003.

1. MegaBaz

MegaBaz Member

Anyone know any details about this camera?

I have read the reviews at dpreview, imaging source and a few other places,

It seems to say *alot* about it, I was wondering if anyone has any of their own comments about the camera

Or if anyone has any other suggestions for a camera that suits these requirepments
    * at least 3mp.. 4mp is better
    * takes compact flash cards (512mb cards are only $170!)
    * long battery life
    * 3x + zoom lence
    * good movie mode.

and look how pretty they look!
    [​IMG]

Cheers guys!

I am about to purchase one of these beauts I here they retail for $1049 but i found $908.35 at dirtcheapcameras.com (unless anyone knows of a better deal for this camera?)
    I am also grabbing a 512mb card with it and then getting a extra battery when funds permit ;)

Also while i am at it

Does anyone know speed difference with the 30x speed compact flash cards (apparently they read Sustained at 7.62MB/second) is there any noticeable difference you can see when using the cards, compaired with slower cards)

Also i am planning of getting a Firewire flash card reader too for faster transfers than USB anyone know much about these (they go for $60 and i was wondering if it was worth it) I already have a firewire port dont worry about that i needed it for my Ipod :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2003
  2. Ch00k

Ch00k Member

Cant tell you anything about this one, but I have an IXUS 330, which is the same (but 2 MP and I think yours takes longer movies) and I have no complaints. Also, assuming it takes the same size batteries, they are only $60 for a non-canon one.

I really like this line of cameras and recommend it :)

3. BextaVaz

BextaVaz Member

[Agg edit: you need to be a member for 90 days before you can trade here]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2003
  4. gasman

gasman Member

I had one of the original IXUS V cameras which took brilliant photos, until I got the dreaded E18 error. Replaced it with the IXUS 400 which is much more sophisticated. My only criticism is that some reds seem to be oversaturated. There was a "Digital Camera Megatest!" in June PC Authority.

Cheers,

gm

5. tweetiebird1977

tweetiebird1977 Member

I have the same as you and I love it.. the only thing that annoys me is the shorter movie times the 2mp one takes vs the 3 or 4mp... other than that.. its sweet as!

The canon ixus cameras are so small and impressive looking too, I always get comments from ppl!!! :)

6. kangfu

kangfu Get Fit!

Nice camera. A friend of mine has one and i recommend it. :)

7. Simmo

Simmo Member

Yeah my friend brought his round today to play with theyre awesome cameras..

But im going to get an exilim cos theyre so damn thin and perfect to take to clubs!

8. Scratch2k

Scratch2k Member

Take a look at the IXUS II, it's $200 cheaper and almost the same camera (except that it takes SD memory, rather than CF, about the same price).

I'm going to be buying a IXUS in the next couple of days after comparing it to several other models, the Olympus mju300 and Sony CyberShot P92 among them. After comparing features, price, picture quality etc, the Canon came out on top.

The 400 is a fine camera, but I'm not too sure what you're paying the extra $200 for.

9. Ch00k

Ch00k Member

You're paying for 1 more megapixel and 1x more zoom, and personally I think its worth it.

10. Scratch2k

Scratch2k Member

Possibly, depends on the budget, as usual .. I'm only looking to spend about $1000, and with that I need to be able to get the camera, a memory card of a decent size and a 20gig digital wallet.

I can manage that for about $1200, can't really stretch the budget further than that.

11. OP
    OP
    MegaBaz

MegaBaz Member

Compair image quality of the ixus 3 and the ixus 400 and you will see it well worth $200 even more, and the added zoom and megapixels are just a added bonus in my thoughts.

It ixus 400 produces much much clearer and shaper images because its the next gen camera from canon.

SD memory is more expensive and is limited to 128mb sizes at almost every shop i have looked at while compact flash it very cheap and goes all the way up to 1gb

12. Scratch2k

Scratch2k Member

yeah yeah, and spend another $200 and you'll get an even better picture, and more features, then spend another $200 and BETTER pictures and more features and then another $200 and you'll get more features and better pictures.

You have to set a budget and draw a line somewhere, you can ALWAYS argue that it's worth spending another $XX for a better quality product, people set a budget for a reason, if you can break your budget, that's great, spend the extra $200.

13. OP
    OP
    MegaBaz

MegaBaz Member

Well you can't get better than this camera. its top of the line..

The best ultra compact camera on the market! :)

which is why i am getting it because i need somthing that will sit in my pocket and i wont notice it!

14. BextaVaz

BextaVaz Member

I used to be looking at buying one of these, but then this tickled my fancy:

[​IMG]

Click on the camera to see specs...

It has a wopping 12x Optical and 3x Digital.... And an RRP of $989.00

Now what do you think of that???

:p :D :p

To0 see pics head across here and have a look through the misc cruise pics, anything signed in the bottom right by "JustDave" is a photo taken with this camera....

-BV

15. LoCuTuS

LoCuTuS Member

my brother was thinking about getting either that canon or a sony DSCP10.

i've noticed that canon cameras have a better quality picture than sonys, but he's going to buy the sony since you get 25% more pixels (5MP) for about a 10% increase price.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2003
  16. Scratch2k

Scratch2k Member

Sticking to my budget was very important so I went with the IXUS II, it arrived this morning ;)

First impressions are that it's SMALL, and SOLID, feels much nicer than my current Sony Cybershot.

Gotta wait for the battery to charge and I'll give you some more impressions.

EDIT: spellink

Last edited: Jun 27, 2003
  17. BextaVaz

BextaVaz Member

Yeh I currently use a V2...

Lovely little camera, not quite enough zoom for me...

:D

-BV

18. Scratch2k

Scratch2k Member

All these are taken with the Canon IXUS II (fresh out of the box!).

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few comments I have from playing with it for about an hour.

:thumbdn: I have a Sony Cybershot at the moment, it has the ability to run from DC power directly into the camera, the IXUS doesn't, you need to buy a $100 DC adapater to be able to do this. I suppose you sacrifice some things to size. (the Sony is twice the size of the IXUS)

:thumbup: Downloading pictures is easy, in windows XP. In anything else you need to install software, this may be a problem for people travelling (net cafe etc).

:thumbup: Picture quality is certainly better than my old 2.1megapixel Sony, but I that 4th shot (the long office picture) took me a few attempts to get good, the size of the IXUS lends itself to taking shaky out of focus pictures even though it does feel very solid (and heavy for the size, compared to the Sony)

:thumbup: Saving pictures to the SD memory card is WAY faster than the memory stick on the Sony, I've never used a SF or xD card so I can't compare them.

:thumbup: Lots and lots of options, from ISO speed to shutter time, lighting condition, macro mode, la la la , look up the canon page.

:thumbup: Also has a fully automatic mode for people who just want to point and shoot

Still playing, but that's enough for now eh.

19. BextaVaz

BextaVaz Member

Dude, this IXUS V2 uses compacft flash not SD! :p

Get use to it... I only just found all the manual functions about 3 weeks ago... I can take so much better photos now that I can up the shutter speed etc etc...

Its great...

I'm still going to get the Panasonic though...

-BV

20. Scratch2k

Scratch2k Member

What? The v2 and the II must be 2 different cameras, the one I hold in my hand right now uses SD not CF.