1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon Powershot IXUS 400?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by MegaBaz, Jun 24, 2003.

1. tangcla

tangcla Member

I'd love to send you more photos, but that's about the best one I have at full res :)
    You might want to check out http://ctang.iscute.net/temp/eXclusive -- they're photos, originally 4mpx max res, but downscaled to 640x480, and optimized for web (lower quality). But you can see the colour there, I used the "Vivid" filter on the camera :)

I'll see what I can do :) but what I'm telling you is the price from one of the importer of Canon goods into Australia.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  2. Xizor

Xizor Member

Thanks. Please do what you can. :D

That link doesn't seem to work btw.

3. OP
    OP
    MegaBaz

MegaBaz Member

i've got heaps of photos.. here are some more just look over HERE

enjoy them.

try www.pcmarket.com.au for a good price i got mine for $855 there a while back when they were going for $999-1050 everywhere else,

4. Xizor

Xizor Member

Thanks. Only 2 pics there.The pic with the weird looking Ronald looks a bit grainy aswell..? Although i guess when you resize images down it fixes that?

PCMarket have it for $759. Looking better. :) Is 256mb card enough, or you reckon 512? 512 is under $200 right?

I know movie mode is limited to 3mins, but can you store say 5 x 3min clips on the cf card providing it has the room?

Sorry about the questions, i've never owned a digital camera despite it being on my list of wants for years.

5. ConundruM

ConundruM Member

Im probly gunna grab one of these cameras before I go overseas (UK/Europe) in November.

dirtcheapcameras.com.au seem to also have good prices...but pcmarket looks a little better..thanks for link

Xizor, theres a review of the camera here

after reading that review and this thread, It sounds like the one i want

6. tangcla

tangcla Member

Sorry, gave you the wrong URL -- http://ctang.iscute.net/temp/eXclusive
    I bought my 512 on eBay for $202 :)

7. OP
    OP
    MegaBaz

MegaBaz Member

more photos for some reason the uploads stopped to my webspace there should have been a couple of photos in there.. now they are uploading.

You can take movie after movie after movie, you usally dont have to wait for the movie to save too, it can start it straight after the last one.

I would recommend the 512 card, i often fill 300+ mb on my outings because of the movie feature. but without movies 512mb if around 445 photos, highest rez. medium detail. and having a big card is good for holidays when you can't upload them to a computer.

i picked up my 512 card for $210 around 3 months ago. i would imagine the price has come down.. just make sure you shop around and find the best deal.

8. tangcla

tangcla Member

Where from, and how much?

9. archie

archie Member

10. Xizor

Xizor Member

$243 from that website now. I don't get all this stuff about 30x flash cards, 40x, 52x etc. What is standard, and are standard ones perfectly fine or are they indeed slower and restrict use of certain features which is why there are faster ones?

11. archie

archie Member

when i bought it was 24x.

i think the faster ones will allow you to transfer files faster off the card to the hard drive using USB2 or firewire.

12. Piggaz

Piggaz Member

Havent read many of the posts but ill say what i think.

I bought one of these cameras in the first half of this year with a 512 mg memory card.

AWSOME camera.
    Fits really well in the hand.... still havent mastered how to use the thing yet (all those funky features).
    Flash is very good compared to other cameras i have used.
    Mates brother had the IXUS 300 and i thought that was good (before i bought mine).
    Build quality is great.
    ONLY complaint is that it needs more optical zoom, but i spsoe your always chasing zoom on cameras........
    Batteries last quick a while but get another one.... so many times the 2nd one has saved my ass....

You wont be disapointed!
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    MegaBaz

MegaBaz Member

The faster the card, the faster the images are saved to the card and the less waiting time between photos, also means you can capture more images in shorter time with the burst feature.

the slower card still work with usb2 and firewire, but they are just slower to copy but still faster that fast cards on usb,
    if you have a 512 card, get a firewire/usb2 reader, they are sooo much faster, and so worth the money.

14. tangcla

tangcla Member

For the IXUS, it's not too big a deal whether you get a 24x or a 52x memory card :) Only when you get really high-end cameras like DSLRs that save images as TIFFs :p

15. Xizor

Xizor Member

So what type of memory cards do you guys have?

16. Piggaz

Piggaz Member

512 MG 20 Speed... "Ridata"

17. tangcla

tangcla Member

512MB SanDisk.

18. Xizor

Xizor Member

Ok looks like i won't be getting a camera before i leave this sunday after all. Just discovered i cracked the exhaust on the shit kicker me and my dad drive to the station everyday, so i gotta get it fixed. If it can't simply be welded and needs to be replaced, there is no way i can afford a camera. :(

I'm so dissapointed. :(
    Leaving work early today and taking it to Midas. Its an early 80's Toyota Corona. Real piece of crap. Hope it can simply be welded.

19. tangcla

tangcla Member

hmmm, that certainly puts a spanner in the works eh? :(

20. Xizor

Xizor Member

Yeah, sure is. And my new boss here (transfered new job/department) is easy going but so uptight on "policy".. he wont let me make up the few hours over the next 2 days cos we would be ripping off the employment agency since i'd technically be working overtime, but they only be receiving normal rates.... wtf??

Sucks the big one.

On the plus side, looks like i'll be set to wait if u can get me that Camera Tangcla.