1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon Powershot IXUS 400?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by MegaBaz, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Logistics

Logistics Member

The battery life is good since I never head anyone complain from the reviews and things I read.

I'm not sure yet where I will buy my one. My dad said that he was going to look at some places himself as well.

The cheapest I found so far is in office works for $748 or something like that.

But I'm confident it can be bought cheaper :)

2. antstar

antstar Member

you can get plus corp to pricematch =)

3. tangcla

tangcla Member

Let's just say, Officeworks isn't exactly my idea of a cheap wholesaler ;) :D

4. Logistics

Logistics Member

Well if people know cheaper places in syd, plz do share.

Mega Center will give you 20% of it if you find a cheaper place then them, but I don't think they would give 20% off on items that are on special in other shops

5. Opteron

Opteron Member

6. tangcla

tangcla Member

Here are a few photos of Hong Kong at night that I love. Very much so the wallpaper-type of photo :D:

Night shot of Hong Kong in December 2003. Used a tripod, didn't control shutter speeds. (Too bad it was a happy-snap camera, otherwise I'd change aperture, shutter speed etc. Perfect chance! :D)
    [​IMG]

Same as above (Hong Kong 2003), but with my girlfriend and I in the foreground. Because of the low-light conditions, the focus was in the background - and it looks really nice (IMHO). Looks almost fake, but it's real :D
    [​IMG]

Photo of Hong Kong roads at night, with high exposure and resting the camera on the window ledge of a 14-storey building. Hate to drop the camera! :Paranoid:
    [​IMG]

7. Onyx

Onyx Member

Does this cam have slow synch flash mode? I can't help but wonder how much better the 2nd pic would be tangcla, if we could have seen the people's faces correctly exposed as well as the thrilling glow of the background.

8. tangcla

tangcla Member

Yes it does have that flash mode. Most of the photos on my phone gallery site use that mode, otherwise the LED colour doesn't show up properly when the flash is on:
    [​IMG]

Onyx, unfortunately for the HK night photos the tripod was borrowed off a complete stranger who happened to be taking photos :D so I had to take a few good ones and give him the tripod back. :p but yes, I agree totally.

9. tangcla

tangcla Member

Also, not sure if anybody else has mentioned it, but night photos are very hard to take without a steady hand, and the only way to take quick snaps at night is to increase the ISO rating.

However, when you get to ISO 200 and 400, there is a lot of graininess in the photo.

here's a photo of Shanghai at night, taken at ISO 400, on a boat (you'll really need to open the photo in full size to see what I mean, like with all the other photos):
    [​IMG]

10. Blade707

Blade707 Member

my family and i are thinking of getting one of these camera's

ill get my dad to read through the thread ;)

11. tangcla

tangcla Member

I think pictures speak for themselves :D

12. Logistics

Logistics Member

The camera is arriving tommorow :)

I'm exicited, are you excited for me as well guys :p

13. hollstar

hollstar Member

I work for a retail company which sell remain nameless and they have been walking out the door!!! For a little while there, you couldn't get your hands on them due to short supply but things have picked up...

In my eyes, I would be going for something like this, an Olympus or one of the Panasonics... The FZ1 was a great camera and the quality of the shoots, even for a 2 was great! You paid for its zoom and features of course, but a great camera...

The Canons are more designed as a point and shoot I guess you could say, but a good array of features more so than most so a good buy!

My only advice is that you go easy on the zoom - I have seen some Canons go out under repair because the lens, when it moves makes this really bad motor crunching sound... I think its due to to be over working the lens and leaving there finger on the button lol...

The only other thing I say to people is, as far as MP goes, you can always go down, but never up... Once you have 2MP, thats it! :p

Regards,

Hollstar

PS: Good hard case, like the MJU Series... A MUST !!!

14. Blade707

Blade707 Member

yup, ill print off the picture tonight :p

15. tangcla

tangcla Member

wow, I feel special :D :lol:

16. Logistics

Logistics Member

Yay I got my toy today woooot.

Need to get soem time and play with it now hehe

17. nez

nez Member

the ixus 430 was just announced - 5 mp with the same form factor and design as the 400.

Don't suppose anyone here will sell theirs second hand to me and upgraade to the 430 =D

18. tangcla

tangcla Member

If I needed 5mpx, I would... but I don't even use 4mpx :rolleyes: :p

I wouldn't mind being able to choose 3mpx resolutions on this camera...

19. tt_j65

tt_j65 Member

my A40 has seen so much abuse/wear and tear and yet nothing is wrong with it :leet:

however, my friend's ixus 400 decided to change the panorama mode into the movie mode and now he cant take any panorama photos :confused: :sick:

20. Blade707

Blade707 Member

im haveing a bit of trubble were to find this camera, what shops should i have a look at?