1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon RP - Weird Autofocus Issue

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by UnexpectedError, Apr 11, 2020.

1. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Hi all, I have a Canon RP and am noticing weird autofocus issues using a 17-40mm f4 L lense. Shooting in the green all auto mode it seems to be almost incapable of focusing on anything except the right side of the screen. I took over 40 photos today and I'd say 95% grabbed a focus point in the right, irrespective of the framing, light, distance. Recomposing doesn't change the outcome and if I flip the camera over (so the right side is now the left side) it continues to focus on the right side (now left side) even though the scene is the exact same scene and the subject is different.

Manually picking an autofocus point gives me reliable results, but this is a pain.

Using my 50mm seems fine, and while I've not checked on my 24-105L specifically for this issue, I don't recall this.

I've tried with and without the CP I use on this lense. The lense appears clean and in good condition.

Any ideas?

2. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Not sure if this is related but I did find this:-

"Instead of turning back on as expected, the RP will indeed awaken but you will have no autofocus points at all and the camera won't focus and you will not be able to capture a photo. The only way to wake it out of this weird state is to toggle a switch; I've gotten it to wake by changing the shooting mode or toggling the AF/MF switch on the lens, but there are probably other ways to do this as well.

This glitch doesn't always happen (in fact, it's more likely that it does not happen as I've personally only experienced it four times while shooting, and a fifth time when specifically trying to recreate the bug), but when it does it always feels like the most inopportune time. Consider being on a nature hike and seeing a bird you want to photograph. This actually happened to me, and I missed the shot of course. This could also pose a problem if you're trying to take photos of your kid's soccer game.

Frustrating, though somewhat predictable, the best way to avoid this glitch is to just always use the physical power switch until Canon patches it,"

3. Renza

Renza Member

I have an RP and 17-40 as well, will try auto mode and see if it happens to me too

4. OP
    OP
    UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Thanks guys, no response from Canon support on this so I'd be quite curious. I'll toggle the AF/MF switch and see what happens next time. It's very odd behaviour.

EDIT: Ok so I think there may have been some fog on the lense on the inside element causing this. Hardly perceptable and I couldn't see it under most light but I gave it a clean and the problem has gone away.

Last edited: May 3, 2020