cant get second video card to work b450

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by kingmoron, Apr 7, 2020.

1. kingmoron

kingmoron Member

I have the msi b450 gaming pro
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC

the issue is i want to add a second card (just for kids/unraid etc) but i cant get any video card to work in the second pcie16x slot. i have 3 multiple tested cards, 710gt, 650ti and some older one. all work in a seperate pc, and also work in the main slot. normally you would think that its just the slot but i have a raid card that works perfect in there. ive tried updating the bios and doesnt fix it. is there something im missing?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. 335 GT

335 GT Member

I'm pretty sure with nvidia both cards have to be exactly the same.

3. OP
    OP
    kingmoron

kingmoron Member

yeah but i cant get the video cards to work in any slot apart from the primary even with just the one card but raid card works fine.

4. Maldark

Maldark Member

From the Specs:
    SLI Requires at least an 8x slot for the second card. B450 motherboards as far as I know only have a second slot running at x4 from the chipset.

I just spent 4 weeks doing the research on this to SLI my 2x970s to then be screwed by the fact my eVGA 970 won't SLI with anything that isn't the exact same model of eVGA. Getting SLI up and running is kinda a nightmare just with two differently branded cards, let alone different series.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  5. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

These are the bits in the manual that I think will dictate what the problem is

• yPCI_E2, PCI_E3, PCI_E4, PCI_E5 slot will be unavailable when installing M.2 PCIe SSD in M2_2 slot.
    • yPCI_E4 will run x1 speed when installing devices in any PCIe 2.0x1 slot
    The second x16 slot is named PCI_E4 so if you have a PCIe M.2 drive or are using any extra PCIe devices then that could be why it won't detect

6. OP
    OP
    kingmoron

kingmoron Member

im not trying to run sli but shouldnt i be able to whack a video card in the second slot anyway?

i tried with nothing else and just the single card in the pcie4 slot and zilch, boots etc but bios/os doesnt display anything

im starting to think its some sort of bug or faulty board. i have a b450m mortar and it works fine, ie 3 video cards. might need to swap boards or something and give up *shrug*

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020