Can't install Bodhi 5 Legacy

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by pfrcom, Oct 28, 2018.

1. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Prompted by GumbyNoTalent's post in Ubuntu 18.04 (gnome edition) thread, I downloaded Bodhi 5.0.0 Legacy to try on an ancient laptop (Samsung NP-R50, Pentium M770, 2GB, Radeon Mobile X300)

Got off to a bad start after their recommendation to create bootable USB, Unetbootin, surreptitiously downloaded and installed Opera :tired:

So I used Rufus instead

After that, Bodhi's default live option seemed to disappear up its own arse

Their instructions say "some users may have to select the xForcvesa or nomodeset option", so I tried xforcevesa

After this did the same, I tried it again and watched grass grow until something appeared on screen

Namely a message about No UMS support in Radeon module

It seems that adding nomodeset as a Grub option may solve the problem, but I've NFI how to do this, seeing there's only two files on the bootable USB - \efi\boot\bootx64.efi and \efi\boot\grubx64.efi

And contrary to Bodhi's instructions, there doesn't seem to be a nomodeset option :confused:

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Burn a CD/DVD and use a USB DVD if you don't have one, since USB boot is an issue.

3. OP
    OP
    pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Thanks GNT

I used Imgburn to burn bodhi-5.0.0-legacy.iso to a DVD (BTW, I have MD5 verified the Iso)

This time, grass hadn't grown quite as high when Bohdi's first screen appeared :tongue:

I then selected xforcevesa, and having this time noticed message about Tab for options, pressed Tab to see:
    /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper nomodeset xforcevesa initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --

Pressed Enter only - after a while it disappeared up its own arse, with activity lights no longer going :sick:

Did this twice - same outcome :thumbdn:

4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Ok the issue is with the x300 graphics, I had one of these years ago in an old laptop, was a POS to get working, get a different laptop or just install Linux without a GUI. Seriously the x300 was a nightmare with 2.6 kernel and long forgotten by any developer, find an old laptop with INTEL chipset you will have alot more success.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/legacy-graphics/ati-radeon-x-series/ati-radeon-x3xx-series

Is the infamous 9.3 ATI Proprietary Driver that caused so much hate for ATI, run you fools... run.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018