Can't perform fresh Windows 10 install on x570 upgrade

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Blue_muppet, Nov 9, 2019 at 8:11 PM.

1. Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

I'm having trouble performing a fresh install of Windows 10 on an recent mobo + cpu upgrade. The hardware is a MSI X570-A Pro motherboard + Ryzen 5 & 16GB (2x8) modules of DDR4. I have tried to install it onto both an older SATA spin drive (Samsung HD103UJ) and a more contemporary Samsung SSD 840 Evo.

I'm creating the windows 10 boot image on my Macbook via the terminal by following these instructions - link

The USB stick boots fine, Windows 10 installer starts, and I go down the path of a new install. I select the HDD and delete the partitions so there's just unallocated space and click "next" where it pauses for a moment presumably setting up the new partitions. Displayed is the screen next is where the windows files begin loading, however a few moments after showing 0% I get one of two errors:
    (1) "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation", or
    (2) "Unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation"

I've tried a bunch of things but can't get past this error:
    - alternated SATA ports on the motherboard to try both SATA controllers
    - flashed the BIOS to the latest stable update
    - set BIOS to defaults
    - SATA mode set to AHCI in the BIOS
    - Boot mode set to UEFI (as opposed to CSM, but still get above errors with both)
    - unplugged anything unnecessary
    - tried different USB ports for the bootable USB Windows 10 image
    - only the one SATA HDD plugged in, which I am trying to install onto

Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 10:33 PM
  2. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

I have literally no idea about Macs, but I'd be leaning towards it being an issue with the boot image created.

Have you tried recreating the USB? Or better yet either yourself or a mate creating the USB using the media creation tool on a windows machine?

3. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

I agree, But in all fairness i've not had much success booting with Sticks, DVDroms seem to be the go for me.
    The other thing i normally do when i reinstall my OS is disconnect any other hard drives...
    I pretty much have CDROM and destination Install Hard Drive plugged in. nothing else /./ then after windows install is complete i power down and plug secondary drives in..
    then theres no confusion for both the operator and operating system during the install.

Can you not grab a bootable install disk from a mate with the same windows 10 version you have? and activate it with _your_ own key when asked?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 4:32 PM
  4. OP
    OP
    Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

Thanks for the support so far, guys.

Honestly I am still struggling in getting this to work off a USB key, but I sure am becoming an expert in the myriad of ways to create a bootable Win 10 USB from OSX! Last night I tried Etcher and that worked insofar as it booted into a Win 10 installation but I received a different error, this time it was asking me to "install a missing media driver for either a DVD, HDD, etc"

Yesterday I bought a cheap SATA DVD burner - I am going to give the DVD approach a shot hopefully tonight.

I've been doing it with all other drives disconnected. One thing I did notice when going into a command prompt is that it allocates C: to the installer USB stick and the target install partition gets another letter like D or G. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it. I can change the driver letters but it doesn't stick after a reboot obviously.

The joys! It's 2019 you'd think you could just install Windows with zero fuss. Even when I used to install Windows 95 off 3.5" floppy disks back in the day I never had this much trouble!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019 at 8:02 AM
  5. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

I've had zero issues installing windows 10 on multiple machines from USB stick, but in each of those cases the install media was created off a windows machine.

I picked up a USB DVD burner a couple of years ago for the very odd occasion I might need to read a CD/DVD. Have probably only used it a handful of times if lucky in the five years I've had it.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

6. OP
    OP
    Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

Given I'm trying to install on a fairly contemporary x570 motherboard, how likely could it be that Windows doesn't recognise the connected HDD due to a missing chipset driver or something? Was thinking of possibly streamlining some drivers into another Win 10 image if I keep having issues after going down the DVD approach.

7. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Shouldn't be an issue. Windows 10 should just pick up and run with it. FWIW, I've recently done installs on my B450 Tomahawk Max (with a 3700x), Z87 boards, H81 boards, and a number of laptops including core 2 era, so 10-11 years old. Installs went without a hitch.

You mentioned about being able to delete partitions, so it sounds as though the HDD is being recognized fine.

8. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

which version of windows 10 iso are you using to create the bootable usb? Id recommend using the 1903 iso.
    Also creating it from a mac isnt a good idea. did you format the usb with ntfs befors starting?
    Using terminal to create the bootable usb is probably where it is falling down .. Etcher should have worked as it claims to be a cross platform app to burn isos to usb and flash cards for any os.
    Best bet would be to get access to a windows pc, format the usb, get rufus and a 1903 iso and let rufus image the usb and then try again

9. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

As above I'd be trying to make the image off a W10 machine using media creation tool or boot from DVD. The error sounds more like source than destination being the problem. You have tried different sticks?

I have had mixed success with Rufus and similar software from perfectly bootable Ubuntu to balenaEtcher completely bricking a USB stick.

10. FOTW

FOTW Member

Use a new USB key and use rufus to create the install media.

You can also try preformating the hard drive to GPT partition with another computer and just click next when it comes to windows install without formatting first.

Official Windows 10 1903 the link is only valid for 24hrs

11. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

make a memtest86+ usb and run that overnight to see if you have ram issues.

12. OP
    OP
    Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

Hi everyone, it seems you were all on the right track with creating the bootable media in OSX.

After remembering I had an instance of Windows 8 running in Parallels on my Macbook, I used Rufus to create a bootable Win 10 USB key and the bloody thing fired up first go after that! Straight onto the m.2 NVMe disk I had in there.

It's odd that the previous images I was creating in OSX were 'mostly' working in that it looked like a duck and quacked like a duck but in fact it was broken :upset:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019 at 9:35 AM
  13. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

LOL but ended up being a totally different animal : )
    good to hear you have it working now!

Enjoy

14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Please change the OP header to "resolved"!