Capacitor fallen off, what to do?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by BlaCkAdDa, Feb 21, 2005.

1. BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa Member

I sold my old computer to a friend (computer illiterate just about!), who now says there's a capacitor lying on the motherboard near the videocard and he's removed it from the computer and believes he can see where it's come off the videocard. The vid card is a Gainward Ti4200 with VIVO.

The computer is still working fine, but I need to give him some advice re: the cap. Should I send him to an electronics place and get someone to solder it on, or just have him continue to use the thing as is?

The cost of having someone put it on is probably a factor here, but I don't want it to cause other probs with PC, I mean could it cause windows programs to screw up and so forth?

2. Wolf

Wolf Lex generalis

Happened to me too. I just soldered it back on. :D

3. OP
    OP
    BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa Member

I don't solder and neither does he... so I would have to take it 'somewhere'??? if I did.

so I'm interested to know what purpose it serves and what is likely to happen if it stays off

Or is there another way to get this back on? (liquid nails lol?)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  4. luke o

luke o Member

run a suite of tests (3dmark, memtest86, etc etc) to determine if the cap was on the video signal processing side of things *unlikely if its a large one.

If it was on the power filtering side of things it actually should not matter too much, assuming the pc is working fine graphically then I wouldn't worry about it.

The cards worth all of $60 dollars and the risk of damaging it resoldering is high.

If it works leave it IMHO.

5. OP
    OP
    BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa Member

Thanks that's what I was hoping.
    It was a cylindrical one so yer a 'big' one. I believe it was on the power side of things, as it had some voltage stuff printed on it.

When he brings it in for me to do the horrid task of trying to transfer all his old emails, I'll give 3dmark a good whirl.

So I take it, it would only be noticed gone in the case of a power surge or something like that where caps can blow instead of the card?

6. luke o

luke o Member

Not really a power surge will kill any card, caps or not.

Caps (power filtering ones) just regulate the flow of electricity acting as a store of power for about 1millionth of a second. They smooth out startup ripple currents (that last for less time) and when the power fluctuates over the course of a few mili seconds they are there to make sure the card gets good clean power.

Missing one power filtering cap might perhaps result in a few wavy lines across the screen when the lights in the house flicker or something like that.

I wouldn't worry about it mate if the card is still going it will keep going.

7. scragley

scragley Member

If you live in adelaide i can solder it back on for you :)

8. A-e-e

A-e-e Member

9. OP
    OP
    BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa Member

thx for the offer scragley.
    I think we'll just let it be... it's not my concern anymore ... unless something goes wrong. :Paranoid:

10. scragley

scragley Member

ok then. let me know if it does would only take 30 seconds to fix :)