capture card for pc including bios/boot

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by BobJustBob, Sep 20, 2019.

1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

hello you!

is there a reasonably priced (under $500, which is a very reasonable budget) capture card for pc that does the following;

• can start to capture "actual" pc from boot, including bios/post, windows booting and everything else including crashes like bsod.
    • obviously has a hdd or memory slot (similar) to store the files it captures since it has to to do the above
    • is preferably external, but pci/etc would be fine too
    • records files as common format (ie: avi/mpg) not some custom b/s you need special player to watch
    • finally since it should record the monitor "output" (i assume) resolution technically shouldn't matter, but if it still somehow would, it should do 1080p at least. i don't want 720p as a max.
    • edit point; it should also record sound once the sound card is initialized obviously by having a cable go to the headphone/output jacks on sound card/io panel

thanks heaps dear human, if you help me in this hour of desperate need.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

If your BIOS runs in 1080p then pretty much any capture card should do it. The big issue is they tend to not like lower/non standard resolutions. Resolution IS the key factor here, non standard HD resolutions, and resolution switching doesn't play nice with capture devices.

3. kelthegeek

kelthegeek Member

Hmmm, I suppose it could be done using an analog/composite output of some kind, but I suspect you'll be hard pressed to do this entirely via HDMI. Mostly due to the content protection built in to the HDMI standards, although the res changes mentioned by terrastrife would also be an issue.

What you appear to want to do is capture the signal "inline" between the PC and the monitor via HDMI, which is precisely one of the things the HDMI standard was designed to prevent. I can find cards that will do most everything you want, once Windows/OSX/Linux has booted, but none that start from power on.. Given some of the other oddball devices I've seen from some places, it's possible such a card exists - but only if you can read 你好,外国魔鬼。

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

I know some people at work have split their foxtel box output HDMI signals using el-cheapo HDMI splitters. Possibly able to plug it into something external to record it?

5. kelthegeek

kelthegeek Member

Like I said, there maybe something out there made of Chineseum, but I couldn't find anything 'en Anglais' in the quick search I did. It appears that some passive splitters may have worked in the past, but I didn't look too hard in to sourceing them - they are still going to give resolution issues.

Oohh, mid response mind wander: A little further digging makes it look like the splitter only worked for some Foxtel boxes, otherwise it just breaks the standard - HDCP is intended to prevent this. Just a thought, could you clone the output to a DVI port? That would avoid all the HDCP/HDMI issues.

I get that you aren't wanting to use this to 'pirate' digital media, but the piracy prevention stuff will cause issues for what you are wanting to do.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've never found a format ffmpeg couldn't tackle. Transcoding media was a perform we squashed at the turn of the century.