1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Caramelized Apple Crepes with Whipped cream

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by woja, May 24, 2010.

1. woja

woja Member

After coming home from dinner, the gf discovered that there wasn't any more ice cream in the freezer. After about an hours worth of complaining I decided to make some dessert myself. Once I finished making a complete mess in the kitchen I came up with this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty much the usual recipe for crepes
    Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons butter, melted

Along with some caramelized apples inspired by a roast pork recipe from Gordon Ramsey

20g unsalted butter
    2 Fuji apples, cored, peeled and cut into slices
    50g caster sugar
    a sprinkle of tarragon

I pretty much made the crepes, melted the butter, dredged the apple slices in sugar and put it on the heat till the sugar caramelized and then sprinkled some tarragon on top.

I then placed a few slices of apple in each crepe and rolled it up, then drizzled some of the syrup from the pan over the crepes.

I had some cream left over so I whipped it up with a touch of sugar and put it on the side.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Olly

Olly Member

these look delicious, how long did it take you to make?

i never made crepes before is there anything i need to keep in mind when trying to cook them?

p.s also your links to the pictures are broken.

3. T101

T101 Member

Those look amazingly similair to Polish Nalesniki. A type of euro pancake with flour, milk, water and eggs. For sweet ones the insides are usually granny smith apples boiled and then filled inside. Sour cream on top and sugar. Mmmm Mmmm!

4. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

Less time than you think, about 30 minutes start to finish.
    Just use a non-stick frying pan, not too hot and oiled.
    The first crepe generally doesn't work too well, just try to spread out the batter on the pan as fast as possible to make it nice and thin.

I'd've used a green apple but had a few Fuji's at home and couldn't be stuffed going out to get other types =P