Case. Dust. Bugger off.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by illdrag0n, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

I think most cases for as long as I can remember have been factory-configured that way. Maybe it's coz so many peeps get hung up on the "gotta suck that hot air outta there" idea, and don't really comprehend that same amount of air gets exhausted from a positive pressure case as from a negative pressure case.

illdrag0n likes this.
  2. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I think the fractal will do a really good job at keeping dust out.

As mentioned before if you have too many exhaust fans you create negative pressure. Which means that the intake fans cannot provide enough airflow. What happens is the exhaust fans pull air from the cracks and openings of the case. Which wont be filtered. Meaning you'll get more dust.

Just having 1:1 intake/exhaust ratio. Or slightly positive pressure ie. more intake is the most effective method.

Also having too many fans can also create vortex's within the case and end up doing more harm then good. But that is kind of a rare situation like in the lian li pc-011 dynamic and having 9 fans going all out.

broccoli and illdrag0n like this.
  3. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Define R6 is a good case. They do get dust in the side front door section, but not a lot.

Another good choice is the Corsair Obsidian 750D. I get dust on the front of the meshing, but sweet FA inside the actual case.

4. dasa2

dasa2 Member

If filtered intakes or intakes on a restricted front panel vs open rear\top this would still result in negative pressure.

5. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I leave the side off all my computers.They can get as much ambient air as they need.
    Don't have heat issues with any. I do run closed circuit water cooling on all, needed or not.
    I blow to dust out when needed, which is not often.I found more dust when the sides are left on.
    What works for me may not work for you.

6. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Yes but not in a catastrophic manner and only if the fans are at equal RPM. 2 in 2 out is probably the most common scenario for most modern cases. Especially with the popularity of 240mm AIO.

1:1 is the easiest and most effective way to control your airflow. You can adjust the RPM of the intakes to compensate for the loss of pressure from filters and chocking intakes.

I'd also argue that in an front mount AIO scenario you are going to be running SP fans and that the system will automatically ramp up those fans to keep the CPU cool. Resulting in positive pressure. Although I have no stats to back up my theory, its more of an educated guess.

Love how you removed 2/3's of my sentance lol.

7. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

That's the case I'm using and it's so much better than my old HAF 922 that was the biggest piece of shit I've ever used.

I have it on carpet on top of a strip of cardboard in my room so still requires occasional dusting out but not too bad.

8. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

so looks like its turning into a little bit of a project

I have the R6 blackout TG here with a PCIE riser and an extra 140mm Deepcool RGB fan

Planning on running the RGB's on the fan, mobo, 2080 and thermaltake psu all red.

Also have some red and black cablemod extenders coming and a deepcool UF92 red to replace the fan on my HyperTX evo.

Excited to see how it comes out.