Caselabs and Fractal clones by thermaltake?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Freebee, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Freebee

Freebee Member

im starting this tread to discuss the recent news article's and hype about thermaltake and them releasing incredibly similar case designs to those off other manufacturer's...

more info here:

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/thermaltake_designs_at_computex_2015_look_familiar/1

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1413341898991146&id=100009460486462&pnref=story

personally i have always bought by the rule "friends dont let friends buy thermaltake" (cant remember who said it first, but credit to that ocau member)

but if they are actually found to be copping other manufacturer's designs that will be the final nail in the coffin for me...

so what are your thoughts?

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

If I had designed that fractal case and saw the other one, I'd be heading to my lawyers.....

That is so similar, it couldn't (IMO) be arrived at otherwise than by copying.

3. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Man that caselabs copy (WP200) looks near on the money. I'd never be able to spend caselabs money on a case, I wonder what these are gunna retail at?

4. OP
    OP
    Freebee

Freebee Member

your kidding me, you actually want to buy one? :Pirate:

5. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

If they dont hold a patent or copyright on a case design there is sweet fa they can do about it. They will have enough differences to avoid an infringement anyhow. Then the other company needs to actually have the $$ to be willing to go to court and loose.

Likely thermal take may keep particular designs out of the USA or Europe and just focus on sales in Asia if there is actually a patent issue.

Currently I am on the siselines of a patent infringement worth 100s of thousands and it turns out the patent only sticks in the USA and Europe. Here and asia they have no case.

6. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I'd consider it, after they were on the market and had enough positive reviews to open my wallet. I cannot afford caselabs and if this was a budget option, of high enough quality then yes, I would buy it :thumbup:

7. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Ha I had the time to fully read the article and then the comments.

What a joke. Caselabs is a premium product if people are willing to spend they will buy it. No one who was legitimately going to lay down the money on a caselabs will buy a thermaltake due to the lack of epeen.

People who cannot be bothered forking out obscene amounts of money might buy a cheaper copy because at the end of the day it only needs to hold a fucking computer.

There are heaps of cheap copies of everything in the market. Ever bought an Ozito drill.... and compared it to a real one? It is shit but it screws screws for long enough to be useful for a home handyman. i.e it gets the job done.

8. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

I don't think people who look at case labs would consider thermaltake... But then again, why would thermaltake just copy instead of actually making something themselves? They'll just turn their company into an irrelevant cheapie Chinese generic copy brand, how stupid is that.

9. leck

leck Member

Isn't that tt's business model? :)

10. DNX

DNX Member

So because Thermaltake is filling a market for the people that cannot afford Caselabs there are a lot of upset people that are taking the moral high ground. But I'm sure that most people who can get a similar looking case would buy the Thermaltakes to save money and spend it elsewhere.

You really think that Thermaltake would not have made sure that their cases are different enough to not be able to produce them. I'm pretty sure they would have checked with patents and lawyers first before revealing them and while morally they are probably not doing the right thing, they are there to make money and doing what they have done is probably good business.

While Caselabs cases are bloody nice and great quality they are too expensive for most people, maybe they could have come up with something in steel at a cheaper price to fill the needs of people who can't afford the big dollars.

There is only so much companies can do with the exterior of a case and one case or another will always look like some other case.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  11. broccoli

broccoli Member

Stealing intellectual property is the quickest way to a lawsuit.

*hint: this has nothing whatsoever to do with "morality".

12. DNX

DNX Member

So, Intellectual property has been stolen?

Where is the lawsuit?

Quote from Shannon Robb Facebook page "First off anyone who has seen these cases, they are in no way as far as fitment and functionality a copy of anything. The scalability and modularity are simply awesome.

as far as exterior appearance, we chose a design that ideally fit everything we wanted to accomplish with the design and similar with the panel grille designs. Its only partially about appearance and more about what will provide best airflow without sacrificing panel integrity and rigidity.

Lastly, do remember that as a chassis manufacturer we all make cases and if you remember we all used to have beige boxes, its not about copying anything its about what makes the best fit for the design you are trying to accomplish.

We are pushing the limits on many things as far as performance and feature sets and im glad you think our chassis is so awesome, because if you really like it that much you will like the price even better"

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

oh, right, his opinion makes all the difference :rolleyes::lol:

14. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Monkey see, monkey do :thumbdn:
    no different to all the mocks, eg ss comdores, gt falcons
    its not the 1st or last within the computer sector

15. DNX

DNX Member

Lol, if Caselabs were so worried about TT why did they send them their cases and why have they not protected their IP etc, etc.

Do you really think that the TT cases will affect Caselabs bottom line as the people who want to pay the high prices for Caselabs cases still will?

Without actually seeing the actual cases side by side both internal/external, how can you say they have been copied as they are both just boxes with mesh.

Sounds like a mountain out of a molehill.

16. power

power Member

thermaltake are just cheap cases, they may achieve a similar look but they are firmly in the budget arena.

I mean and where was the crying when Antec, Thermaltake and every man and his dog knocked off the FS710B ala Chieftec Dragon?

I know this was more of a branding thing but since when did chassis design become so precious.

17. leck

leck Member

I think people are more outraged at the laziness more than anything. Sure most cases are derivative works but they could have at least tried to put their own design spin on it as it is, from the outside at least a pretty blatant copy.

Using the imitation is flattery defense doesn't apply when its a copy.

Using the 'cases can only be so different' argument. There is literally hundreds of case designs out there. Normally the higher end cases are brand statements and quite distinct from one another too. Big difference from likening flagship models to the obligatory $50 biege box of yesteryear. When your brand statement is a direct knockoff it kinda puts their company goals into perspective lol.

Extra points for quoting the poor wageslave stuck trying to defend tt.

18. Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Because ThermalTake legally purchased a case from them and paid for it. To not send one out would be breaking the law which get CL in trouble.

19. DNX

DNX Member

I assume most people know that every company/manufacturer get like products from their competitors to see what the competition is doing.

Why has Caselabs made such a big deal with the statement that Shannon Robb said "I will just buy one" after being told he could not take photos. Caselabs should have looked at protecting their IP right then if they were so worried.

Again, I can't see the problem as the case is marketed towards cheaper cases rather than the expensive Caselabs and is not really going to affect anyone.

Maybe Caselabs will learn a lesson from it with regards to IP's and looking at a cheaper range of products.

And I can't see why people are stating it's a blatant copy when there is a resemblance on the outside and no one has really seen the inside as to whether that's a blatant copy.

You could also say that Caselabs copied Mountainmods to an extent.

20. leck

leck Member

Looking at the comparison photos it's a bit more than a 'resemblance' and more of a 'copy' hence the issue.

Caselabs failing to protect their IP by not denying an order for a product that is out in the common marketplace is a laughable statement too. I also fail to see what lesson they would learn from having someone else copy their work.

The statement from case labs is relevant as they have proof that tt bought the case, which supports the claim that they copied it.

Lastly don't confuse tt taking an opportunity to copy an existing premium product to a cheaper market segment with it being 'ok' to do so. They could have easily made it look a little different, shifted from being copycats to being derivative and avoided any negativity. If anything its a dumb move by tt.

Do they care, nup. Large china based manufacturer. They wouldn't give a shit what one boutique manufacturer thinks.