Cast Iron cookware

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Kommandant33, Dec 24, 2018.

1. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

Nup, properly seasoned. Used grapeseed oil. Has actually been seasoned multiple times.
    Initially using the oven method. Repeated about 4 times.
    Then when I first cooked sausages and it went to sh#t I scoured it all off and started again. Oven method again.
    Then whenever it gets ruined I generally just touch up - grapeseed oil rubbed around with paper-towel to a thin layer. Heat past smoking point for several minutes, let cool, repeat.

Maybe it's my expectations. Maybe the fatty deposits are fine and don't need to be completely cleaned off after use - maybe they should be kept to help build up the seasoning?
    But it looks wrong and they don't feel like they help the non-stickness.

Cleaning the pan after use is actually usually REALLY simple. When things are working fine - eg after shallow frying, then it's just a case of emptying out the excess oil, rubbing what's left to a thin, even layer and heating it up to smoking.
    It then gets stored with a cloth over it.
    If it gets a bit 'dirty' during cooking, then a scrub with hot water and plastic-bristled brush.

If i stick to steaks and schnitzels, it's a great pan. But it just doesn't seem to be as useful for a variety of things as I read about from other people with their pans.

2. Revenge

Revenge Member

I love mine.. perfect for putting a sear on steaks or chicken that were cooked sous vide.

Kommandant33 likes this.
  3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Are most of you talking about enameled caoted ones or raw?

4. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Given the discussions on seasoning I’m going to assume raw, for the most part.

5. shredder

shredder Member

What is the actual chemical definition or mechanism of this "seasoning" that's spoken of? Just curious from a nerd point of view.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. neRok

neRok Member

Cook mushrooms or onions in it - tastes great.

7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Polymerised oil. A quick google will turn up a page that's mostly right but written by a non-chemist. They've latched onto some stuff that doesn't matter and have started spreading it as gospel, but that's the internet for you.

(Hint: Generations of people have managed to season pans perfectly nicely without buying a specific oil to do so)

I no longer own any non-stick pans. Even if something does stick to my cast iron, it's simple to remove because you can put your back into cleaning it without ruining it forever. Throwing away all my stupid nylon and silicone implements was the best thing ever - metal spatulas and tongs are just so much nicer to use and clean.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    firey4059 and shredder like this.
  8. scon

scon Member

For this purpose, yeah, but a silicon brush for cooking is much better than a fiber one.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't know how you are supposed to get oil out of a fibre brush. eww. I like on telly when they use a hunk of rosemary or other herb as a "brush"