Cat constantly urinating on the floor

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by neoprint, Apr 9, 2019.

1. neoprint

neoprint Member

My cat is about a year old, for the last month or so she's been pissing on the floor multiple times a day. I'm getting to my wit's end with her.

It's always in the same spot (in the bathroom, on the tiles, next to the drain). I've tried different litter, different litter box, getting the vet to check her out, cleaning up straight away, different food, keeping her entertained etc. No idea where to go from here, can't really keep her if she's pissing on the floor all the time. Anyone got any ideas? She is a indoor cat which I hate but we're not in a position to be letting her out (live in an apartment)

Just seems odd we've never had a problem with this until recently. The vet said she had ear mites which we've since treated, and she seemed to stop while we were putting ear drops in but started as soon as we stopped. Starting to think she's just messing with us.

Should probably post a pic of her...
    [​IMG]

Dodge M4S likes this.
  2. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

5 minute, 47 seconds in...

hehe :p just a joke

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

what have you cleaned it up with? can you move her tray to this preferred spot?

4. OP
    OP
    neoprint

neoprint Member

Mopping the floor, have tried a few different things. Most recently a strong smelling eucalyptus based cleaner to mask the smell.
    Not easy to move the tray, it's right in front of the sink but really I'd just be moving it 2 feet to the right anyway, it's right next to where it is now

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

People things don't necessarily smell the same to a cat and some cleaners actually smell like cat piss to the cat and encourages them to go over the top of it (anything ammonia-based). Try some urine off or nature's miracle or other urine killer, or sprinkle some bicarb over top. Watch her when she goes in there to try to figure out the reason. There's a reason she's going there and not in the tray. Are there any noises? Door opening onto the tray? Anything that might have spooked her?

firey4059 likes this.
  6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

My cat used to do the same thing... ended up training her to go in the bath, as it's another drain. :)

I had to be forceful at times... follow her to the bathroom and knowing she's going to pee, pick her up, throw her in the bath. Shut the door... keep putting her back in the bath. Cat will figure it out...

At one point I had to hang my towels up higher as she'd sometimes pull those down and pee on them... or a basket full of clean clothes!

It makes for an easy cleanup too... pee get's washed down, pickup the shit in a plastic bag. It helps with smell too I felt as it's not hanging around in a litter tray. If it sits there too long though the shit can leave a stain... seems to go with a good soaking of bathroom bleach.

I've heard of people training their cats to use the human toilet too... look it up.

Good luck there, nice looking pussy cat. :D

JSmith

firey4059 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    neoprint

neoprint Member

Like I said I've tried a few different cleaners all with different smells. Will try those things though.

Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, have tried a few trays, one had a door and was covered, current one isn't. Have only caught her in the act a couple of times, but if I clean it there's a 90% chance that if I go back in half an hour there's a fresh puddle right where the last one was. Thanks for the input will definitely take it into account

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

litter kwitter. As she's only young, she could probably learn that quite easily.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    neoprint

neoprint Member

Luckily she poops in the tray without any dramas, will try and follow her to the bathroom and do the bath thing

10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

You need vinegar and water 50/50 mix, brush it right in with a bristle bathroom brush and that should neutralise the ammonia in the urine, so the smell.

As mentioned, be forceful but not cruel... will take patience and time. A quick medium tap on the nose with a stern vocal sound or a squirt of water usually helps them grasp what is acceptable or not. Just don't let them think you're playing a game with them. :)

JSmith

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    firey4059 likes this.
  11. broccoli

broccoli Member

and the vet has definitely excluded a kidney problem/diabetes? Just like us, we don't get a full bladder again so quickly. There's a difference between weeing there when she needs a wee, and weeing so frequently. Not normal.

EDIT: I'd be reluctant to try to throw her in the bath. If you catch her squatting put her in her tray, wait for her to go, and then praise.

firey4059 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    neoprint

neoprint Member

Yeah, something seems off and if it was behaviour related I wouldn't have thought I'd have a year of trouble free tray use then suddenly using the floor. Vet said she had done urine tests and everything else "seemed fine", she's gotta go back next week for a follow up for the ear mites.

13. OP
    OP
    neoprint

neoprint Member

Not with this one, she loves water. will jump in the shower with me given the chance

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Use "Piss Off" to clean the spot:
    https://www.petbarn.com.au/piss-off-odour-eliminator-250ml

[edit] Or "Wee Away", same thing:
    https://rufusandcoco.com.au/products/wee-away

Cat urine doesn't break down in water, detergent, vinegar, bleach, etc. Cleaning it with regular cleaning products still leaves enough behind for cats to smell (even if you can't), and they'll continue urinating in the same spots.

Use a proper enzyme based product like the above to break down the urine and clean the spot properly (you might need to do it a few times over - make sure the area is moisture free first as any moisture will prevent the enzymatic breakdown process, then clean, dry, clean again, dry again). Try and lock the cat out of the area for a week or so if you can so that it develops a new habit of urinating somewhere else while you're getting rid of the last bits of urine.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    firey4059 and neoprint like this.
  15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

LoL that is funny... very unusual. :lol:

JSmith

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Also, cat urine fluoresces under UV light. A good quality UV torch like this one (exact model we have):
    https://www.jaycar.com.au/3w-uv-light-with-adjustable-lens/p/ST3446

Will show up cat urine even if you can't smell it. Handy to track down the exact location even after human noses can't smell it.

Nah, young cats can often enjoy water. Our Tonkinese would jump in the shower with us for the first year or so, and give zero fucks about the water as long as he could join in with humans.

Once he turned 2, then he turned into a shitty teenager and hated everything, including water.

He's 4 now. Isn't a shitty teenager any more, is cuddly again, but has given up on loving water.

firey4059 and the_fuzz like this.
  17. broccoli

broccoli Member

definitely speak to the vet about the frequency/quantity when you see him/her again.

18. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Sorry, can't offer any advice but she's gorgeous :)

19. shredder

shredder Member

Exclusion is one method. If you obstruct, cover, or shut out the offending area, then it can't possibly be peed on. Then you can move on to re-education.

New tray, small amount of litter (e.g. one cup, not even covering the entire bottom of the tray), shut her out of the bathroom and put the tray just outside it. Lightly dab the smell of her urine onto the bottom of the tray, with a cotton bud or something. Then use positive reinforcements when you see her using it (e.g. praise, cuddles and treats).

Litter type is also a factor. Sometimes they start to hate the feel of certain litter on their feet, and will avoid it.

Make sure the tray is big enough too. Sometimes cats outgrow their tray so they can no longer use it comfortably.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  20. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

True, but careful changing dramtically the type of litter. I had a lovely kitten who decided to eat a new litter type that was very absorbant... swelled up in his thoat and he died while I was in the next room just thinking he was going to the toilet. :upset: :(

Still scarred by this to this day... miss the little fella, was very special.

JSmith