Cat peeing everyone but in the Litter box

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Ravennoir, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hey Everyone,

Im wondering if anyone has some good solutions for this

Our male cat has a habit of standing in the Litter box and peeing outside, normally he starts sitting and then stands as he is going so it goes everywhere

We have setup elaborate guards for the walls to protect them, but it doesnt stop it from ending up on the floor (we currently have newspaper under the boxes)

We did think about getting a fully enclosed litter box, but not sure how either of our cats would take it

Any tips to get him to stay sitting down :)

Thanks

2. mr626

mr626 Member

Is this something that has started recently? If yes, has anything changed recently at your place?

Have you changed brands of cat litter at all?

How do your two cats get along?

I'm no expert, but I've heard of all of the above being factors in this sort of thing.

Our ragdoll (male) would pee in random places around the house when my son was first born.

3. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Its been going on for a while

Its not that he is peeing in random places, its always around the litter box

hes just not very good at getting it in the box

4. mareke

mareke Member

I use a very large black plastic box I bought at Bunnings for a litter tray. It measures around 65 cm long x 45 cm wide and 26 cm high. It's large enough for my cat to have plenty of room to do his business. I fill the box to about a third of the way up with litter consisting of recycled paper pellets. The tray is inside a large plastic dog kennel I bought at Bunnings and my cat has no problems going inside the dog kennel and jumping into the plastic box which is big enough for him to move around & dig in. If he peed outside the tray (which he has never done) it would land on the bottom of the plastic dog kennel.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

If it is something that he didn't do before, have you had him checked out for bladder issues? If he's uncomfortable when peeing, that might be causing him to change position. If he's ok, then.....

The jumbo sized tray might help? They have deeper sides than the ordinary trays. Otherwise, as mareke describes, you aren't restricted to cat trays, you could put the wee tray inside another tray. I put my bunnies' wee trays on one of these, it catches hay and any overflow (they pee backwards, like your cat is doing)
    http://www.prestigepetproducts.com.au/72_dash_34992/PET-FEED-TRAY-(-cm-68-x-55-x-17h)/pd.php?scat1=0

You could also give a corner bunny tray a try? It has a high side in the back (but your cat would have to get in and turn around, if he went in front first, it would be worse, because they are low in front).

As for the overflow, Aldi were selling pet sized Conni pads on one of their special days. One of those underneath would absorb any misses.

6. Baringa

Baringa Member

Agree with Broc, if this is new, get him to a vet to check for bladder problems, some bladder issues in male cats can be very serious so it's best to rule them out!

Otherwise, try a bigger tray! One of our male cats is huge (hes over 8kg at last weigh-in) and he is just a gigantic cat, and he just cant fit in a normal tray. We had a lot of accidents before we realised we just couldn't teach him to use a small tray, he needed a big cat sized tray to suit him. We've used a jumbo sized tray from Pet Barn/Animates but we now use a plastic storage tub (it has smooth sides and bottom), with a little depression cut in one side to help them jump in and out. The sides are really tall, so litter stays put, and its too big for him to have accidents over the side.

7. Baringa

Baringa Member

Oh, another thought, is he having problems with his joints? Maybe it hurts his legs to be squatting deeply, thus the higher stance?

8. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Thanks for the replies guys

This isnt a new thing, its just to the poit ive had enough of cleaning it up when the tray is mostly clean

He is a big cat (7.5Kg) but the trays (we have two) are quite large, if you have links to the ones you got I can check them out

We dont think he has any issues, we take him to the vet regularly and have him checked out, he can do all the normal cat things without issues

9. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Have you heard of these magical creatures called dogs?

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  10. Tinian

Tinian Member

Is it a territorial issue?

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

I can't find mine online. They are just bigger and deeper than normal and thicker plastic.

Found this though, might be worth a look. Price seems ok, I spent a LOT on my jumbo trays, I remember thinking how ridiculous it was that I was spending so much money so my cat could wee indoors.

https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/p...ge-pearl-white-pearl-tan-pearl-silver-p-23468

12. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

hahahahahaha, yes I have

I would think it would be all over the house if that was an issue

Thanks, it looks like a similar size to the ones we have, but ours dont have the big side attachments, they might be good

13. callan

callan Member

Our dear long-departed Boo had this problem. There wasn't any underlying reason behind it: he just would start peeing sitting down and raise his arse as the peeing continued.
    We set up a couple of litter "trays" using storage/general purpose crates similar to this one (at Bunnings)
    crate.png
    You might be concerned that the cat would avoid using it, or have trouble jumping into and out of the box, but that never seemed to be a problem, with Boo, or the other cats which were forced to use it as well, due to Boo's - issues..

Callan

BurningFeetMan and samus like this.
  14. Baringa

Baringa Member

Okay! So when we lived in Australia, this is one of the ones we had. Its So Phresh brand, I'm pretty sure, and we got it from one of the big Pet Barn stores, but they dont have it online.

litter1.JPG

Now we're in New Zealand and jumbo litter trays do not exist, and also I hated spending heaps of $$ for some plastic just because it was a speciality item, ya know? So we got this 112 litre tub instead (make sure its totally smooth on the inside, ours is Taurus brand, because if it has grooves or whatever the litter will get stuck).

litter2.JPG

It sounds like he's just a huge cat, so a big tray should really help. He might get wee on the sides which will run into the litter, but you can always hose it out once a fortnight or whatever, but the wee will be contained.

BurningFeetMan and samus like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Thanks guys these look good

16. Hater

Hater Member

This.

A bonus of him being a 7.5kg cat is that you'll get a lot of chou mien out of it!

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

oh, bugger off, hater.

Tyra, come here, and get those claws OUT! :D

18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Let's see a pic of this 7.5 kilo peeing machine!

19. Amran

Amran Member

One of my cats used to do this, he'd poop in places he shouldn't as well. The guy I bought them off said to just rub the cats face in it until they got the message, took about 2 tries and he's never done it again.

20. mareke

mareke Member

I won't let my cat go much above 6 kg because it would be unhealthy. I buy dry cat food specifically designed to keep a cat's weight down and after the cat has his usual wet food in the morning I give him a little dry stuff later. If I gave in to my cat's demands for more food he'd probably blow out to over 7 kg and at around 13 years old that wouldn't be healthy. I realise that some cats are naturally bigger than others.

mAJORD likes this.