Cat: Unexpected behaviour problem after vet visit.

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by callan, Oct 3, 2020.

1. callan

callan Member

Have 2 4yo (early) neutered male cats, a Bengal and Lilac Burmese. They are very close, sleeping together, playing together and completely at ease. Indoor only.
    Yesterday I took the Bengal up for a teeth check, clean and pulling of a dodgy tooth. Dropped him off in the morning. In the afternoon I brought the Burmese in for his annual shots and checkup (doing well).
    I then took both cats home. The bengal was quite alert, but a bit spaced out.. (naturally). All good??

Well as soon as they were let out of their carriers the Burmese started hissing and growling at the Bengal, and hasn't let up. The Bengal hops up to play with his brother and all he gets is hisses and growls: he's being treated as if he's a new introduced cat, and the Burmese wants nothing to do with him.

The running theory at Chez Callan is that the Bengal picked up some other cats' scent whilst at the Vet - possibly from bedding or proximity, and the Burmese, not recognizing it considers it foreign.
    But the Bengal has been furiously washing, and by now surely the scent has dissipated...

Anyone have any suggestions???

edit: added potato quality photo of both

cats.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  2. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Do you have feliway? That would be perfect in this situation to calm him.

I can only suggest wiping them both down with a (separate) damp cloth to try and remove any scent and probably just separating them for the afternoon ?

3. AngelMoo

AngelMoo Member

same thing happened to someone I know... the cats got better for a bit but then it got worse, ended up having to rehome one cat

4. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

Well our blue Burmese boy seems to have "remembered".
    They slept together all yesterday, both boys did their usual play-fighting at breakfast this morning (in turn each raises a paw and "bonks" the other cat on the bridge of their nose - it's quite sweet), snuggled together and slept together on the Callan/Winter marital bed all last night, and snuggled together in a cat cave known to all as "The cube" today - so I hope this is all behind us..

Callan

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Glad to hear your kitties are friendly again!

6. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

Not half as relieved as we are. Winter and I are already beyond stressed with other matters, and alongside our anxiety with poor Satai and his bung tooth, this just added to it all... And I'm sure the cats are picking up on the stress of their owners.. they're canny like that.

7. caspian

caspian Member

an idea for next time if need be - try this stuff: https://www.petbarn.com.au/feliway-spray-60ml

it's expensive but it works incredibly well at calming cats down. you're not supposed to spray it directly on the animal, but a little on a tissue and a light wipe on the coat is OK. would help to mask "foreign" smells and make everything seem more familiar.

8. power

power Member

just keep them apart for a few, cats do this every now and again.

9. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Brought up, and suggested, in post #2.

10. caspian

caspian Member

yes indeed, my apologies for not reading more closely.