cat5e or cat6 ?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Borgod, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Borgod

Borgod Member

So I've just moved into our new house and will be wiring it up with network cables soon.

I have a Billion 7800N

Is there any benefit from using cat6 cable throughout the house, or should cat5e be sufficient?

Cheers!

2. Hive

Hive Member

For a gigabit network, cat5e will be fine.

But if you really want to spend the extra money, buy cat6.

As far as performance goes, you will not notice a difference, depending on cable length, with gigabit

3. Pugs

Pugs Member

Cat6 ftw... should only be margenly more expensive but worth it.. make sure your cabler doesn't cheap out by installing Cat5e sockets/ patch panels some do that....

for a retro fit you shouldn't be paying more then $150- $170 per run (2 x sockets, run of cable and labour to install) of course over the entire cost of an install this price comes down...

I dare say Useing Cat6 is future proofing.. some will say that is BS.. but there are some complete systems that only work over Cat6

4. OP
    OP
    Borgod

Borgod Member

Hmm so there is no noticeable difference in speed.

What are the real benefits of going cat6 now, or in the next 10 years ?
    I can't see myself going 100% 'smartwire' ever or installing a rack etc.

5. Pugs

Pugs Member

if you own/ rent the house then it is worth putting it in for future owners/ tennants... Racks come in all sizes not just huge honking wall Mounted Microwave size ones....

benifit comes form extra line noise protection.. which is the characteristics of the cable...

6. caspian

caspian Member

personally, I'd go the CAT6 route and do it once and forever. the additional cost is not that much.

7. OP
    OP
    Borgod

Borgod Member

OK, convinced.

Are there different grades of cat6 cable?

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

it is all the same standard... cablers have prefernce on what they use.. mine at this point in time is ADC Krone Cat6.. as it s generlaly cheaper then most other brands... and comes on handy (for me/ any installer) reel rather then a Pull pack but anything a cabler will use will be fine..

9. Pugs

Pugs Member

I beg to differ on that......

cause that means i could be a network admin/ secuirty expert dude aswell with the simlar amount of knowledge we have on eacth others Jobs...

10. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Depends where you are running the cables, but I ran some under the house into my room, the kitchen and the theater, and because they are hard to reach, I used cat6 for future proofing. You thought of buying a 24 port gigabit rack mount then running cat6 to the whole house. In the long run, just say 10 years down the track, you buy a 10Gigabit switch the CAT6 will work.
    I know my house is 10 years old and it has no cables or anything just a few phone ports, so its always better to have the infrastructure there. I found cat6 didn't cost that much more than cat5e if you add in the cost of paying someone to install it all. the CAT6 could last for 20 years, but the cat5 might last 10 then you have to pay for someone to re wire again.

11. Hive

Hive Member

All cable should be fine for 25-30 years, your numbers are a bit off

12. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

depending on the levels of alien crosstalk and things like are the cables combed and wrapped in the loom (obviously to look pretty) coming back to the DP, your 10GBASE-T theory might have just be blown apart.

CAT6A for runs greater than 30M is my recommendation if you're planning to do 10gbit over copper.

here is some light reading for the people wanting to understand:
    http://www.siemon.com/us/white_papers/06-01-10_10G-horizontal-cabling-choices.asp
    http://www.siemon.com/us/learning/alien-crosstalk-guide.asp

13. OP
    OP
    Borgod

Borgod Member