1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Cat6 UTP cable

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by 3five1, Oct 23, 2012.

1. 3five1

3five1 Member

HI guys

This is probably a silly question but I'm a networking n00b. I bought a role of 5 metre Cat6 cable to use between my router and [4m apart] the computer as I can't get it any closer. I haven't seen this one before as it is flat and coloured orange, on the pack it states that it is UTP ...was not sure what this meant so I Googled it and it turns out that this cable is Unsheilded.

Is this still good to use with home Naked-aDSL or should I return it?

thanks

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

It's fine, that's normal. You'll find that all the cables you buy will be unshielded twisted pair.

3. OP
    OP
    3five1

3five1 Member

Thank You!

4. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Just about all cable out there is UTP, there are very very few circumstances that require STP.

The twists in the twisted pair allow protocols to cancel out most interference fairly easily.

5. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i would be more concerned about its shape.

when you say that it is flat, do you mean the cable is flat and broad. eg. 2mm thick by 10mm wide or thereabouts.

6. OP
    OP
    3five1

3five1 Member

It is identical to this but orange in colour and 5 metres long ...any good?

thanks

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  7. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yes it's fine. I use them at home without any issues.

8. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Just out of interest, where the wires are terminated in the plug (look at it from the end) are they all in a row or are they staggered up and down a little?

9. FiShy

FiShy Member

Cat6 cables are used for networking, data transfer, and phone lines primarily. connect a PC to a DSL/Cable modem, hub, switch and router. Connect a Xbox to DSL/Cable modem, Hub, switch, router, or PS2 play station. Support 10 / 100 / 1000 Mbps.

bolded the lols

10. ltd73

ltd73 Member

its not cat6 if thats what you're asking.

will it work for DSL? probably.
    it may however pick up EMI which causes signal degradation.

reality is that since its so cheap to be a flat cable rather than twisted, likely they've cut corners on other aspects of signal integrity too.

if the purpose of buying "cat6" for this purpose was to ensure you got your 1337 performance then i'd be replacing it with bog standard cat5e which will have better characteristics.

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I've got a few couple of them (came with modems) and they work fine at gigabit.

12. GooSE

GooSE New Member

I wouldn't think they'd be great for more than a few metres though. I don't see any way that a cable this thin could have twisted pairs.

13. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Actually they are twisted. Take a look at the last pic on the ebay page and you'll actually see the twisted pairs.

Btw flat UTP cables has been around for ages. Whilst I haven't tried any longer than a few meters, The ones I've tried works exactly the same as any other UTP cables I've had.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  14. NSanity

NSanity Member

BUT its good for 500Mhz!!!

:D:D:D:lol:

15. ltd73

ltd73 Member

i love someone trying to tell me i'm clueless about this stuff.

sorry dude but you're wrong on all counts.

16. OP
    OP
    3five1

3five1 Member

Yes, they are all in a row.
    I did ...so cat5e would be more stable on long line from the exchange. I took a closer look at the cable and printed on it is: AWM E212689 STYLE 2835 32AWC 30V CAT.6 PATCH CABLE B011140212 ...I made a mistake with (bad vision) colour, it's red with white release clips if that helps?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  17. GooSE

GooSE New Member

The type of cables you use between your router and your PC aren't going to affect your ADSL performance. You are limited by the speed of the ADSL WAN link, which is many times slower than Ethernet.

18. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Where did I say you're clueless. Just told you my experience. From what I can tell, you don't know me. Thus how am I wrong on all counts when you don't know me?

As I said, I've used a few of them and they've been around for a long time. They work fine. How is that wrong?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  19. ltd73

ltd73 Member

you've said "they work fine" without seemingly understanding why the cables are twisted, what that achieves or what happens if you don't have the twists.

i could show you ethernet working over some barbed wire. does that make it suitable? by your logic, since "it works fine" that means we could all go use barbed wire instead of patch cables for short runs.

i don't need to "know you" to know you're wrong.

bit error rate.
    impedance.
    near end crosstalk
    far end crosstalk
    ability to function within distances of the spec

i could go on but it seems somewhat futile.

20. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Actually I do know how twisted pairs work. And they are twisted in pairs surprisingly. :shock: Even in one of my previous comments I said that.
    In this pic, you can clearly see the cables are twisted in pairs before the outer flat jacket is applied.
    http://img2.dib-bid.com/gallery2/022817/022817_01.jpg

Anyway, I'm not the only person who says it works.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-UTP-1800-50W-UltraFlat-Patch/product-reviews/B0007QQJX4

But hey, what do people know right? And I do agree with you. "i could go on but it seems somewhat futile"