1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Cat6 UTP cable

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by 3five1, Oct 23, 2012.

1. FiShy

FiShy Member

amazon link, hes got you now ltd!

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Well I couldn't find any other review for it negative or positive. These are user results. There's another Whirlpool thread that has exact some thing with people saying it'll work fine but without actual user experience. If you guys want, I can even do tests with it, just tell me what you want me to test. As far as I can tell you, they work fine. And yes I know he works in the industry. But doesn't give him the right to belittle other people and start with personal attacks.

3. ltd73

ltd73 Member

yeah and he has called me out for being part of the conspiracy that ethernet cables MUST be AWG24 and that i'm part of the cables-must-be-round-like-the-earth society and not a believer in flat ethernet cables (or that the earth is flat.)

its too funny. or sad. not sure which.

4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Mate, seriously I just said they work fine. Stop trolling. You're acting like a 16 years old.

5. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I'm waiting for you to post a rebuttal with some actual substance, and not some hollier-than-though BS.

I understand BER, crosstalk and all the transmission theory stuff, just I don't see how listing a bunch of terms makes his cable not CAT6 rated. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Looks like it has 4 twisted pairs from what I can see. How about you post something without the douchebaggery

6. ltd73

ltd73 Member

the 'standard' covering cat6 is ISO/IEC TR-24750 & TIA TSB-155.

just physical inspection of the cable is enough to know it won't pass that if you were to plug said cable into a real tester or try to use it at 10G speeds.

i have 10G here, am happy to test said cable(s).

other issues i see with these patch cables are to do with PoE. i'd not want to see what would happen to one of these cables if you put 25W down that (IEEE 802.3at-2009).

finally, moot point but its likely it doesn't have A-Tick either.

7. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Mate where the fuck did I ever say 10G? Or POE? Or is the question relating to POE/10G from the OP?

8. ltd73

ltd73 Member

one of the primary reasons you'd use cat6 over cat5e is because of its ability to operate 10G.
    otherwise not much point in spending more, just put cat5e in.

you didn't but you did say "it works." good thing australia doesn't seem to be as big into litigation if someone used your recommended cable and their place burnt down because a cable shorted/melted.

you seem keen to believe anything you read on the internet. good luck with that.

9. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I just said it works for me at gigabit. I never said anything about 10G or POE. You just started attacking right off the bat. I know that you work in the industry and will have plenty more knowledge and experience about it than I do. All I did was shared my experience with the OP. And you came in gun blazing attacking for no reason. Your behaviour is nothing short of disgusting. I hope you don't behave like that to your customers. :thumbdn:

I said work fine at gigabit. And it has and will continue to do so.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  10. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

I think he meant the rotation of the 4 pairs around a centre structure that cat6 utilises to reduce next, fext, crosstalk etc.

He got it wrong by calling it "twisted"

11. OP
    OP
    3five1

3five1 Member

So is it ok to use or not??

12. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Well according to in house expert, if you use it with POE or 10G then you will probably have issue (although this is all untested and just his theory). However you're going to use it to go from Modem to Computer, and at most going 100megabit then I sincerely doubt you'll have any issue what so ever.

13. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

14. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Member

+1. It's not even correct douchebaggery.

If someone is going to discuss the physical characteristics and testing parameters of CAT6 and then lecture them on which standards "cover" that, then they should at least make sure they don't look inept through citing the wrong standards...

Contradiction also seems to negate the impression of knowledge. Like harping about litigation and buildings burning, having previously said that A-tick compliance is a moot point ... especially given that A-tick compliance is primarily in place to improve safety.

My mind boggles when the OP has requested info on a mere 5M patch cord to connect to their ADSL modem and the discussion escalates to specifications and other factors surrounding 10G Ethernet and power loading Class 4 PoE devices onto said cables(?!). I thought I had a high-tech setup. Compared to this geezer it must look like I'm still stuck in the 80's with my trusty Apple IIe.

15. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Member

Does it work?

If it does, then the answer is "yes".

If it does not, or if you or perhaps anyone you know really gives a shit if a $5 patch cord is not A-tick compliant, despite the fact that it probably works just fine, then the answer is "no".

16. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

For those wondering what it looks like up close:

[​IMG]

Following pics clearly shows the twisted pairs with coils.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine came from Vivid Wireless modem. Which is part of TelstraOptus. I would assume that it's A-tick even though it doesn't have any markings on them. This cable is 7mm wide and 1mm thick.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  17. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Since the pins are in alignment to me it doesn't seem quite cat6.

However those close ups seem to reveal that the wires do was positions during the length of the cable.

Only way to prove it is to use a cable verification tool.

Otherwise should be fine for what you are using it for. :)

18. OP
    OP
    3five1

3five1 Member

Thank you one and all...

19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

optus .

20. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

My mistake. Points stands.