1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

CAT6A UPGRADE / WALL PLATE

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Do It Yourself, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Member

I am currently using CAT5 ethernet cable and will be upgrading to CAT6A. Also adding some female to female RJ45 wall plates as extension for easier access.

1) Will be buying a CAT6A (Shielded) ethernet cable and wondering what female to female wall plate do I need to get? Do I just get a CAT6 wall plate? Or do I need a CAT6A wall plate which I don’t think there is any of these.

2) Will these female to female wall plates for my home cause any performance drops on internet/lan speeds?

3) There is no difference between female to female wall plates and keystone wall plates right?

4) With a shielded ethernet cable I heard you have to ground it. Can someone explain what is needed to do this? Isn’t it just putting the 4 or 8 wires into the RJ45 clip and crimp it along with the foil of the cable?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  2. Pugs

Pugs Member

Same reply to your whirlpool question.

If you need to ask all these questions you shouldn't be doing this work...

And your plan is far from Best Practice even from a DiY standpoint

And fyi.. Cat6a comes in Unshielded too...

Employ a cabler

rodgrech, alch, AgB deano and 4 others like this.
  3. bucket23

bucket23 Member

How come you're upgrading to CAT6A? Any issues with your current CAT5 or is it just something to do in case?

4. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

probably because teh c00l k1d3 t0ld h1m t00

5. OP
    OP
    Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Member

No. Stalker. I done everything myself and my own cat5 myself and will not spend money on a job I can do. Just need a little info. If your not here to help then no need to comment.

6. OP
    OP
    Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Member

Because I need to move my router and the cables now are restricted. So rather upgrade and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Now would appreciate if anyone could answer my questions :)

7. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

I think the cost of a cabler will be much cheaper than a 2500 on the spot fine, certainly cheaper than if you contest when the court can penalise you last I heard 90K ! ohh and the forced ripping out of all that cable too ;)
    so how much is that cabling worth to you now.

8. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

clearly, you can't do, or you wouldnt be here (and apparently elsewhere) asking how

Idafe007 and Pugs like this.
  9. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Catx cables come in shielded and unshielded versions. You need to match the cable to the jack and to the termination tool. You then need to match the jack to the faceplate that you're wanting to use which may involve it being a keystone. You'll also need to match the other end to the patch panel if you are using it.

Shielding is better for 10GBase-T as it helps stop crosstalk from one cable to the next cable. It performs better when the patch panel end is grounded (you don't ground both ends) but still performs better than a unshielded cable even if it's not grounded.
    If the above sounds all too hard to work out, then I would go with the CAT5 stuff as that's a lot less complicated.

10. McRutch

McRutch Member

I've actually seen some equipment be extremely picky with a combination of CAT6A cabling & regular CAT6 patch leads, to such an extreme that they would only get 100mb instead of gigabit until all cabling from A to B matched and was correctly grounded at one end.

This was with high end Panduit gear too, not the cheap shit you'll probably buy online, cause you're obviously not going to spend big if you want to DIY.

So good luck, unless you know what you're doing, you could end up worse off than the CAT5.

Pugs and Nobby6 like this.
  11. Recharge

Recharge Member

on the spot fine by whom? the magic inspect every house randomly for network cabling DIY fairy?
    get off it.

12. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

you'd be surprised what happens when ppl kick someone out of share houses, vengeance is theirs in many ways.
    no of course they dont check up every house, stop being a f'wit and keep it real, but if you think they dont act on complaints you are sadly in la la land.

13. McRutch

McRutch Member

TCA2 form?

:lol: I heard they where just a myth though

14. Recharge

Recharge Member

which will come from where and by whom? the "flatmates" of lore?

there is no mention of shared accommodation in OP. so again, which fairy is catching him?, who's complaining? (apart form you being rude)
    as for "stop being a f'wit and keep it real" beep beep clown world Karen.

15. McRutch

McRutch Member

You’re right, there’s no mention of shared accomodation, but is there any mention of home ownership either?

I’ve attended rental properties before and spotted diy data cabling, diy electrical work, etc.

Sometimes if they’re rude, contacting ESV or giving the agent/owner a TCA2 thoughts do go through my mind :mad:

Nobby6 likes this.
  16. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

yaaaaaaaaaawwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

its ok, you keep living in your little bubble of beliefs that if you dont see it happening it aint, I'm not here to wake you up into reality, I couldnt care less about you or your thoughts, much like you couldnt care less about mine, but people like you come undone eventually.

17. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

1) Will be buying a CAT6A (Shielded) ethernet cable and wondering what female to female wall plate do I need to get? Do I just get a CAT6 wall plate? Or do I need a CAT6A wall plate which I don’t think there is any of these.
    CAT6A is only for runs longer than 100mtrs. No there is no such thing as cat6a wall plates.

2) Will these female to female wall plates for my home cause any performance drops on internet/lan speeds?
    I doubt anything you would notice

3) There is no difference between female to female wall plates and keystone wall plates right?
    What do you mean? A keystone needs to be hardwired where as a female to female the cable in the wall will need a rj45 plug. Also a keystone is the square box that connects TO the wall plate.

4) With a shielded ethernet cable I heard you have to ground it. Can someone explain what is needed to do this? Isn’t it just putting the 4 or 8 wires into the RJ45 clip and crimp it along with the foil of the cable?
    Just use normal cat6 cable. It is very rare you would need UTP in a home network.

18. Renza

Renza Member

No ethernet runs should be more than 100m, regardless if it's cat6 or cat6a. you need cat6a for 10gbe runs longer than 55m

19. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Yeah good pick up, I meant up to 100mtrs. Cat6 is up to 55mtrs

20. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Or just CAT6 shielded for 100m