CAT6A UPGRADE / WALL PLATE

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Do It Yourself, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

And indeed if it's even close to that, including 55m, I'm perplexed why you wouldnt make it om4. 100m's at best marginal if you're running it through a building across all sorts of other cables producing interference, with multimode that'd be a non-issue. People seem to be so unnecessarily afraid of fibre...

Aetherone likes this.
  2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Well for a home set-up Fibre is pretty pricey in comparison to Cat6 / A and you really do need some skills and equipment to install it. Not to mention the SFP / SFP aggregation switching needed. More commercial applications people have embraced fibre because they have the $$$.

Also I thought the recommendation for 10Gb on Cat 6 was ~30m with 55m being the absolute max including patch cables so not really applicable with talking purely about a wall job.

As for the OP, don't bother with Cat6A STP, just get Cat6 or Cat6A UTP the shielded version is mostly intended for high density environments (IE data centres with bulk cables bundled) . Unless your house is multi storey you runs are likely to be 10-30m so Cat6A is overkill already even for 10Gb.
    Also just go for your standard Keystone jacks and skip the whole Female to female jacks. Will be cheaper , its pretty easy if you have a punch down tool ( very cheap from ebay / Aliexpress) , you take up less space behind the plate and its way easier to drag a bare cable down a wall cavity then one with a jack on it if you wanted to use pre-made cables.

3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Sure if you're only going to use it for mostly 1G applications. When you want a whole stack of machines on 10g, it's substantially cheaper now that 10g kit is being dumped from data centres. Switching isn't even expensive any more and fibre/SFP+ can be done with 75% less power and heat. Modular keystones make DIY install dead easy and being totally non-conductive you've got a point to argue with your insurance should your house burn down.

Plus, once you yank the OM3 through the walls, it's good up to 100gig. It's also cheaper than copper.

4. OP
    OP
    Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Member

I appreciate everyone’s comments and help. I have another question at the moment.

- I need to buy some conductive adhesive copper foil tape. Does anyone know where to buy from online and which brand is good etc? Please recommend me a good brand and where to get from.

5. R4+Z

R4+Z Member

Ok so to try to actually answer your questions sensibly (just watch that bring out the trolls) My apologies if I get too simplistic...

Female to female plates are useless for Cat6a as they don't cater for the 9th wire (the earth) Yes screened cables have an additional earth wire in them. Faceplates (not female to female ones) are just a plate that can accept multiple versions of an 8P8C mechanism (commonly but incorrectly referred to as RJ45), the Mechs are purchased separately (Cat5, Cat6 and Cat6a for example) and clicked into the standard faceplates.

Yes undoubtedly, all connections cause reflections that can slow down transfer rates and especially so for Cat6a as they don't pass the earth connection through.

Yes there is a considerable difference and there is also the standard clipsal type wall plate each plate style is different, the Female to Female does not accept mechs, keystone faceplates only accept keystone sockets and the clipsal type accept clipsal format sockets however they do do a keystone to clipsal adapter.

Sheilded cables require an earth (also known as Ground) cable to be run into the rack so that the shield of each cable can be grounded. Shielded cable doesn't just have the foil screen, there is an uninsulated wire running next to the foil and it is this wire that connects to earth, effectively a ninth wire. If you are going to DIY, I suggest you get an electrician in to run the earth first as you don't want to be going into the power board to connect that yourself (or do you) and if you get them in after, they could be the ones to blow your cover.

When running Catx cables also bear in mind that you don't want to run them neatly, a factor that can affect speed is Alien crosstalk where signals in one cable get induced into adjacent cables. The longer the run of cables together, the greater the crosstalk. This is why screened cables are preferable, less noise and crosstalk.

I am a registered cabler and couldn't care less if you DIY, I'm not that desperate to want to be house bashing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021