1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

WOW Cataclysm Megathread - Beta OUT! (Don't fall for any scams Cata out Dec. 7)

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Kaji, Aug 21, 2009.

1. flinchy

flinchy Member

this..

i just read it on mmo-champ

wtf blizz?

seriously i thought they were some of the best idea ever thought of for the game...

ED:
    Heroic Deadmines / Shadowfang Keep
    Heroic versions of classic instances might not be ready for the release of Cataclysm and will be shipped in content patch instead.

SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

this release better be damn soon, that was the NUMBER ONE thing i was looking forwards to.

ED: i can understand them wanting to upgrade glyphs, but WHY does it mean they have to remove one of the majour touted features of the expansion

now we're straight back to increasing gear as the only form of progression post 85.

Ed:

quote that perfectly sums it up
    this expansion truly is turning out to be a more of the same one.

i mean, really, besides talent trees, and the zones/dungeons.. oh and two new races (omg you can make a new character with a different skin!) with all these removals, what's different about the game?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. IKT

IKT Member

I have to wonder if we're only just waking up or whether vanilla to tbc was really that good.

3. OP
    OP
    Kaji

Kaji Member

Well, vanilla was shit, soooo :p

4. Bonesaw

Bonesaw (Banned or Deleted)

Only shit for people who couldnt hack 40 man raids.

5. ScrumpyJim

ScrumpyJim Member

it wasnt a question of 'hacking' 40 mans. it was a question of finding 40 people who could all manage to stay awake at the same time to kill something. so much afking during vanilla, hald the people in our raids didnt even know half the bosses because they were asleep most of the time.

6. flinchy

flinchy Member

yeah!

vanilla = wow new game
    TBC= flying!, JC, raid design overhaul, awesome areas.
    wotlk.. uh.. similar to TBC, i guess, but that's ok because it's still fairly fresh and awesome.. and killing the lich king!!! :D (eventually haha) (it was the one thing i always wanted to do in wow)
    cata: uhh.. getting a little stale now...

7. OP
    OP
    Kaji

Kaji Member

I raided all through Vanilla, it was shit :p

8. the-enigma

the-enigma Member

This is how I see it. Talking more how I saw the game, not what was introduced.

Vanilla: Need big groups. PvE raiding had huge timesinks (40 man raids, resist gear, stacking buffs). To see all the content, you had to put in serious time (not quite skill). Most classes had niches, some better niches than others. Gear becomes obsolete slower (no welfare/badge gear).

TBC: Don't need as big groups. PvP is now do-able without PvE. PvE raiding made more accessible. Most external-to-raids time sinks removed (resist gear, stacking world buffs). Classes start homogenising. New gear introduced is better and easier to get than old gear.

Wrath: Raiding made even more accessible. Classes are becoming really homogenised, to the point where you only need X dps, Y tanks, Z healers really. Timesinks all bar removed (or made dead simple). Gear from each content patch is made somewhat redundant in one content patch, and all but completely redundant in two. (IE current Ulduar-level gear is all bar obsolete, when you consider level of effort compared to badge gear).

Meh, I get that some people like games going this way, but I preferred the vanilla way. I liked it when it took serious time, when raiding involved considerable group time, and significant solo-able grinds (whipper root tubers anyone). You could play 3 hours essentially solo (as in not require a group) and those 3 hours could benefit the raid still.

9. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

You have any ideas?

10. flinchy

flinchy Member

you still have to understand that while for normal mode encounters, yes, x dps, y tanks, z healers is 100% fine. for hard mode encounters, especially when gear is an issue (ie before shit is on farm), raid balance (buffs), tank roles (aka bear tank uber HP soak), and healer roles (tree?) are much more defined.

and if gear wasn't made obsolete.. what would you rather, a new player, who only level capped midway through ulduar or TOC... would never EVER be able to run ANY raid unless they either
    a) had high connections with a guild, and got geared via guild runs
    or
    b) managed to tag along as a 'raid filler' to a low tier (naxx most likely) raid

raiding still DOES take considerable time, maybe not so much solo (though still hours, dont even deny it, to be a VERY good raider you should still be looking up strats, readign EJ for class optimisations etc.)

but these days, it's still easy to put in 4hrs/day 5 days a week, how can even the above-average wow player justify that, as well as multiple hours and hours and hours of other solo grinds, just to be able to raid?
    heck, even once you hit 80, it still takes multiple days (as in, /played) to get geared enough to raid ICC.. and it's still not an easy instance for the casual average geared fresh player.

11. zoogwah

zoogwah Member

I personally didn't see how guild talents would work out so well. How do you decide what talents to get? It would be seriously annoying of there were only a couple of really good guilds for your situation on your server but you didn't like the talent choices.

Path of Titans is pretty much the same things as medium glyphs without the grind factor.

12. Frostyknight

Frostyknight Member

some ummm, is anyone else worried about the amount of end-game content?'

wotlk had a lack of new end-game stuff. naxx and ony were from vanilla, and TOC just completely sucked a big dick... yet this happened with ALL the focus being on northrend and northrend only

all this redevelopment of the old world means nothing to people like me who dont give a fuck about alts. i dont like playing alts because i feel like any time im wasting on them, could be spent bettering my main character (even if its just making gold or getting vanity stuff/achievements). too much time has been spenting making zones pretty for people levelling characters 1-60. zzzzzzzzzz

13. IKT

IKT Member

they could have 1 raid but if it was fun I'd raid it for years, none of the instances in wotlk want me to be in them for more than 5 minutes...(that's what she said.) get badges, get gear, get out

14. raX

raX Member

with the nuking of a few key factors I'm not sure if i'll even play cata now.

really pisses me off.

15. Shawry

Shawry Member

Meh, stop all whinging, its all the same shit just not as grindy.

As much as I love forums, WoW is a far better game if you dont take other peoples opinions to heart!

16. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Anything seems better if you ignore its downfalls.

I've sold my main for a ludicrous amount, and I doubt I'll play cata... but thats simply because I'm bored of WoW. The entire game is stale to me, sadly.

17. cicada

cicada Member

Are they planning to do anything to address that wow has become World of Gayscore?

Has Blizzard ever commented on this?

18. OP
    OP
    Kaji

Kaji Member

There's not much they can really do, unless they go on a ban spree and ban GS and all future mods that have similar functionality (which would be a nightmare to police).

To actually make GS stop working would be near-impossible.

19. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

GS is fine L2P.

Seriously though, it's a measure of someone's gear, nothing more. QQ less. Just saves me time inspecting you.

20. Frostyknight

Frostyknight Member

you didnt/dont enjoy ulduar?