CC needed guys. 48 special Harley.

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by !nsane, Oct 16, 2010.

1. !nsane

!nsane Member

Gday all,

did a shoot last night for a mate thats entering a harley build off. one of the requirements was that you get photos of the beast for people to judge. I did my best, but just wanted some opinions. More to come...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan

2. amsm

amsm Member

#3 is the pick of the bunch. Second is OK, but as with the first, the background is too busy and too in focus, the bike gets a bit lost. The last is cool, but probably not a lot of use at showing off the whole machine.

3. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Saves me having to type it my own thoughts as I was going to say exactly the same :thumbup::thumbup:

You should probably just darken up the flash reflection on the floor area

4. Robjess

Robjess Member

Yep agree.. too busy..

5. BuD

BuD Member

num #3 for me to out of the bunch

6. OP
    OP
    !nsane

!nsane Member

Cool thanks guys, I'm running on a limited time frame, so wanted the core shots edited before moving to the close ups. They are there though, I'll chuck em up when their done.

I agree, although I reckon 1 & 2 are sick shots 3 has the separation etc.

Lighting for 3 was a single 430ex off camera in a dark workshop. Took about 12 shots with my assistant walking around the bike flashing, painting the highlights. Then stacked them on lighten blend in PS. I have a side on shot using the same tecnique that I'm editing now.

With number 3, should I kill the strobe reflection off the floor? I think it looks good, but maybe distracting?

7. s4Rg3

s4Rg3 Member

I didn't even notice it till you just said. Couldn't keep my eyes off that sexy exhaust haha.

#3 is my pick as it shoes the real colours for everything and engine etc is better exposed

8. waffles

waffles Member

3 is the best, 2 is better than 1, but as others have said, a little busy.

I wouldn't worry about the strobe reflection, I didn't notice it until you pointed it out

4 is maybe a little tight, it takes a bit of thinking to realise it is a disk rotor.

but 3... very nice.

9. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

#3 fo sho. The bike pops so much better, so much more detail is visible. Nice.

10. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

With these sorts of photos you need to control the separation of the subject and the background. You've been successful in number three due to the use of a back-light & a very simple background with just enough detail to frame the bike (I can just make out the two other bikes on the side).

The first two images don't work as well because you've got a background that appears to merge with the subject. The two shots might have worked better if you had re-positioned the bike or used smaller depth of field to bring the bike out of the background.

Example (Photo 1)
    Both tyres blend into the dark background.
    The neon lighting blends into the bike fuel tank & seat
    Detail of the engine is lost in the dark background due to background being black/dark

Photo 2 is a little bit better but the bike is still not the primary focus point, it appears the Harley Davidson neon sign & the bike are the primary focus. Using DoF/repositioning the bike would help focus the viewer on the bike.

11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

#3 is fantastic

The other two.. has been covered by others :)

12. renagade

renagade Member

I was expecting 48 Photos.

I like all 4 and could imagine them in a mechanics workshop.
    I think that the grittiness of the photos (which may be a desired effect or not) suits the subject matter.

13. OP
    OP
    !nsane

!nsane Member

Alright guys, thanks a lot for comments!

thought I should chuck up some others. number 3 is still the standout though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some from during the build:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    !nsane

!nsane Member

bump with new shots :p

15. wadges

wadges Member

I know dick all about photography, but that is one of the nicer 48's I've seen yet, even though they went away from what made the 48 a 48 - The 16" front wheel and midglide front end. Love that exhaust also, totally suits the bike/theme.

16. TMM

TMM Member

#6 is great. I also like #4 for simplicity :thumbup:

17. Remote Man

Remote Man Member

So shiny! Need sunglasses just to look at the pics.
    Some look way over done, maybe tone down the highlights?

18. OP
    OP
    !nsane

!nsane Member

Cheers for the comments guys.

personally I am a big fan of the bike itself, most definitely NOT a harley person, (I ride a zx6) but they did a VERY good job with it.

as for the photo's, thanks again, some are hits and some are misses, but I worked with what I had. Had planned for an outdoor natural light shoot but it started to drizzle, so the trusty 430 was pulled back into service.

as for being too bright, I personally don't think so, I needed bright photo's to make them standout of a crowd, and I needed them bright to show off all the bling.

I printed up number 1 and number 3 the other day in 8 X 10, and they both came up FANTASTIC. number 1 somewhat better because it didn't come out as dark as it displays on a monitor.

Dan

19. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

I think most of the shots show too much of the most ugliest harley rims I have ever seen. They would look more at home on an old 750/4 then on a harley.

A nice photo of the bike from the back at 45deg with front wheel facing away might give this bike more justice

Like shot #6 but with front wheel facing other direction or shot #7 from a wider angle with more dof.

20. OP
    OP
    !nsane

!nsane Member