Central American Chilli Beef with Capsicum, Coriander, Avocado and Chocolate.

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by scon, Aug 14, 2007.

1. scon

scon Member

Central American Chilli Beef with Capsicum, Coriander, Avocado and Chocolate.

[​IMG]
    Shot with Canon PowerShot A610 at 2007-08-14​

This recipe is ruthlessley plagarised from the book "Slow Cooking" by Joanne Glynn... it's a pretty decent cookbook, check it out.

275g kidney beans
    3 tbsp Olive oil
    2 onions
    2 garlic cloves
    4 hot green chillis
    110g field mushies
    800g chuck steak cubed
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp caster sugar (any sugar will do)
    2 bay leaves
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    200ml beef stock
    1 red capsicum diced
    the leaves from a bunch of coriander
    25g dark chocolate (something like the lindt 85%)
    1 medium firm, ripe avocado
    1/2 red onion chopped
    250g sour cream

If beans are dried beans (better) soak overnight, if using a can, use a full can, but drain the beans and rinse them.

Heat half oil in pan, add onion, cook till translucent. Add garlic chillies, mushies, cook for another 5 mins. Transfer to a plate. Add remainder of the oil to the pan, when hot, brown beef in two batches.

Return onion to pan with the beef and add cumin, cinnamon, sugar bay leaves, tomatoes, stockand beans. Stir and bring to simmer, leave for one hour. Add capsicum and leave for another half hour, stir every now and then.

Stir in most of the coriander and all the chocolate, season with salt and extra chilli if you like it hot.

Chop avocadeo and mix with red onion and remaining coriander. Top the dish with a spoon of sour cream and a spoon of the avocado mixture. Eat... yum!

2. badsac

badsac Member

Mmmm. That'll go great in me gut. Thanks. :D

3. Myst

Myst Member

Sounds damn tasty!!

4. Speculator

Speculator Member

I'm bookmarking this one. Thanks for that dude, I'll let ya know how it goes. It sounds tops! :)

5. Speculator

Speculator Member

How many servings does it make?

6. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

Four to Six... if it's four, they're huge servings. If i had salad and stuff, it'd easily do six.

7. badsac

badsac Member

I made this tonight. Gave myself a terrible fright after mixing in the chocolate as it gave off a frightful chocolate aroma. I wasn't looking forward to chocolate flavoured beef. :sick: However the tasting was much different. The chocolate flavour was subtle and matched the rest of the flavours wonderfully. Only thing I'd change is to maybe add another chilli. Mine wasn't very hot at all.

No it was the nicest recipe I've made in ages. Thanks heaps for that scon! :D

8. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

arghh!!! I want to be at home so I can make this right now. :lol: Sounds awesome. Never had American chilli before.

9. fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Chilli is great, when i was in America last year you couldn't beat home made chilli on a cold Colorado winter night :D I might give this a go, although im not to sure about the choc :confused:

10. pugsley

pugsley Member

The choc adds to the flavour without it being able to be detected easily. But would taste different without it. Put it in, be adventurous!

11. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

Yeah, seconded, the chocolate really binds the flavours together. You wont notice it a whole lot when you serve it, but it really adds particularly to the aroma of the final dish... wouldn't be the same without the choc.

12. fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Just went a got all the ingredients today, i will be making this tonight. Just a few questions, this is my first time using a slow cooker, how did you 'slow cook' it?

You talked about adding the meat and everything to the pan, is the pan the slow cooker? where and when do i implement the slow cooker?

Thanks. I also opted for the 70% coco lindt as i didn't want such a strong flavor we will see how it goes.

Matt.

13. fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Ok just finished this, i really like this dish, would be fantastic on a cold winters night it has a nice warmth of flavor to it and the touch of spice adds to the overall warmth of the dish, although i feel it needs some salt this is an otherwise great dish, try it yourself :thumbup:

Matt.

14. pugsley

pugsley Member

Glad it turned out well! :) :thumbup:

15. fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

And thank you for your help :thumbup: Ill have to go back instore to find a manual for my slow cooker :D

Matt.

16. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

Yep, you dont neccesarily need a slow cooker to slow cook food. Just bung it on the lowest heat on the stove for a couple hours or even chuck it in the oven at 150C or 160C.

17. pugsley

pugsley Member

Thats how i cook my beef or chicken stroganoff. Always ends well:D

18. username_taken

username_taken Member

I made this on the weekend with Kangaroo instead of beef. I used 2 home-smoked chipotle's and 2 orange cayenne. I was making it for newbs so kept the temp right down, not like last time when I used Hab's :D

Turned out really really well with the kanga. I slow cooked it for around 8 hours in total.

19. AzonIc

AzonIc Member

I have been meaning to make this recipe for a while, drooling over it in fact. Finally got around to it a couple of nights ago. it was AWESOME

cheers :thumbup:

20. Pie_Lad

Pie_Lad Member

Just finished one of these off.

I really enjoyed it, the chocolate is an absolute must! Easy to make too, prepare everything, then sit around and the meal cooks itself.

Will cook again.