1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Cereals and bread to take 15% cut in salt "

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MR CHILLED, Mar 22, 2010.

1. aXis

aXis Member

I dont see a problem with salt, as otehr have said there's only a small number of poeple who are sensitive to it.

That said, when i came to Malaysia alot of the savourly food tasted terribly bland at first becasue they use very little salt. When I go back to australia thigs taste too salty again.

A middle ground would be nice, maybe 15% is a good thing.

2. Drew_

Drew_ Member

I want more salt!

I bet they will charge us more now for less salt.

3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's apparently a problem for all of us as we all get too much salt in our diets as it is.

4. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

imo its a bit of a scam, we are told to eat less salt but 95% of processed/junk food has heaps of it.

Thus people make their own meals that taste bland compared to the processed/junky alternative, making those foods seem more attractive. You tend to worry less about the salt in them because you don't add it yourself nor do you really have any idea how much there is.

I'd rather just eat my own homemade meals with good quality salt to taste.

5. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

They should start with Froot Loops.

Had a bowl for the first time in ages and they seemed very salty for what should have been a sweet breakfast cereal.

6. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

I make an active effort to try and consume less than 2500mg / day now. It's surprisingly hard if you have any processed foods at all.

Even sweet stuff like flavoured yoghurts have salt added to them. Store bought breads are bad - loads of salt. Making your own whole grain bread has several advantages, much tastier, far less salt and a bit cheaper too.

Only a small number of people are sensitive to heart disease? :confused:

7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Those are the things you can't avoid unless you start changing your diet away from them.

I think they are looking at bread because it is obviously a major major staple in most people's lives.

8. aXis

aXis Member

Too much salt as defined by what limit? Forgive me for not citing references, I've been reading alot about this lately and saw someone else mention 3 studies into high salt intake that had been done so far - one found an increase in risk, one found no change, and one found a decrease in risk. So clearly there is no hard evidence that salt is a root cause.

Sensitive to high blood pressure. If you are otherwise healthy then high levels of salt have not been found to cause a problem, however for certain overweight people, it exacerbates their condition.

There's many other factors that would be far more effective on heart disease than cutting salt - like decreasing portion size to stop all of the fatties out there. Australia's portion size in restaurants is huge, and American portion size is twice that again.

Not to mention all of the sugar and refined carbohydrates cause blood glucose/insulin spikes, causing diabetes and promoting our body to accumulate fat.

9. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

Unless you are sensitive/hypertension then having a little excess salt in your diet is fine, you'll just pass it out in your wee, provided you're drinking plenty of water.

You can reduce your 'need' for salty tasting food by basically going on a salt diet for a month - no salt on your food, eating foods with little to no salt in them. When you go back to your normal diet, you'll actually find you have been resensitised to salt; won't need as much salt for food to taste 'as salty' and foods you didn't notice before tasted salty, will.

This also works with sugar. Although I don't recommend trying both at the same time, you'll go nuts lol.

The real issue is processed food that masks its salt content or adds salt unnecessarily to ramp up the taste. When you cook your own meal you can moderate the salt; can't do that with processed food.

Salt doesn't belong in breakfast cereal! There shouldn't be ANY in there imo.

10. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

But a root cause of what? : ) Salt apparently is a contributing factor to such things as heart disease, high blood pressure (iirc) as just a couple of examples, but there will be more....so they are trying to simply reduce salt intake in order to lessen it as a contributing factor to certain illnesses.

11. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

I personally believe it's not directly related to salt itself (apart from hypertension) but more to do with the lifestyle that eating heavily salted foods which tends to be junk food, processed, fatty. These types of food taste disgusting when you have a low salt tolerance.

12. omghi

omghi Member

Quantity over quality here in Australia. The number of times that I've gone out to dinner with my parents and they've loved the meal but stated that they won't go back because the servings were too small. They judge value not by the quality of the meal but by the volume/$. I think this is true for a lot of Australia too. In order to change portion sizes you really need to alter the way people think about and value foods.

Another problem I think is that a lot of people don't know how to cook a wide variety of foods and therefore don't really have a grasp of the ratios of ingredients that go into what they eat. I remember the first time I made ice cream I was shocked by the amount of cream and sugar that went into it, I have no idea what I thought made up the volume before if not those two ingredients. I used to eat it almost everyday, now I only eat it every couple of weeks and only top quality or homemade.

A little salt in sweet foods can make a world of difference to the flavour but it needs to be good quality salt and done correctly, that said I don't think it is necessary in 100% of the sweet foods that we eat. I find breakfast cereals pretty boring anyway, not exactly the kind of meal I sit around trying to savor the taste of so they could easily sacrifice the salt.

13. aXis

aXis Member

I've been living in Asia for a year now and the portion size is much smaller, and also alot cheaper. But if you increased the portion size to Australian standards the price wouldnt be that far off. I guess in Asia the benefit is that staff costs are very low, so they can afford to sell small meals cheaply.

In Australia the staff costs are much higher and they need to make a certain amount of $ per head. That in turn sets the price limits, and then the portion sizes are adjusted according to competitions/expecatations.

America is differnt again because the staff costs are much lower, there's no real excuse for the huge portion sizes except capitalism gone mad.

14. mareke

mareke Member

I watched a cardiologist on TV speaking about the proposal to reduce the salt content of foods and he said that salt causes fluid retention and raises blood pressure but he gave the impression that it universally does this when only a minority of people would experience significantly raised blood pressure from salt. He also made no attempt to put it in perspective and say that there are far more serious contributors to heart disease such as obesity and eating too much saturated fat causing raised cholesterol.

15. aXis

aXis Member

Read this study The level they found to be excessive was more like 21 to 27 grams per day, and found there was no basis for the 6 gram limit. They even said that low consumtion was a risk for some pregnant women and the elderly.

Everything in moderation, and according to your own body's needs. Salt is not the biggest enemy here, portion size and highly processed foods are.

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Salt is absolutely essential in the diet, I don't think anyone at all is advocating total lack of salt at all ; )

17. aXis

aXis Member

The article said that some people could benefit from 20 grams. That would make the "recommended" 6 grams too low.

18. Naru

Naru (Banned or Deleted)

Why should food taste bland just because you don't like salt? Saltiness is just 1 of the 5 basic tastes. I don't add salt to my food but I still get plenty of flavour out of it using other things and if I wanted a slightly salty taste I can substitute in stuff like tasty cheese or bacon etc depending on what I'm making. When I buy a packet of chips I never go for original or plain flavour instead I go for something else that overwhelms the pure salt taste like bbq or cheese and onions. sure these things still have salt in them and are a bit salty but at least they not just, salty. Maybe I've had too much boiled prawns and bacon in my lifetime but salty food is something that I avoid if thats all it tastes like.

19. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

If food tastes "salty" then you've probably added to much.

Salt is a flavour enhancer, used correctly it brings out and enhances the natural taste of any food, making it taste sensational rather than "salty".

Hence food without enough can often tend to taste bland. This of course is purely IMHO, you might be happy with food I consider bland, each to their own. I would argue that most independent tasters would rate a meal higher though with a sensible amount of salt in it, as it will have more flavour.

As for the chips example, I would be surprised if a packet of bbq flavoured chip had any less salt in it than a pack of plain salted. I'm pretty confident that if you removed the salt from bbq flavouring it would taste like shit.

20. Foliage

Foliage Member

Does anyone know why salt is a flavour enhancer and by what mechanism it works? I'm curious.