change windows logon

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by bassface, Apr 5, 2013.

1. bassface

bassface Member

hi all ,now before i get flamed for not googling it... i assure you i have....the thing is i have the classic windows logon and i want to go back to the welcome screen .ive checked netware: its not installed ,i have the correct msgina..i do not have the option of "changing how users logon " because its not available...how do i do it????

2. Rezin

Rezin Member

Might need to say what Windows ver you're using.

XP?

Edit: okay, you don't have 'Change the way users log on or off' ... still, some more info would help.

3. OP
    OP
    bassface

bassface Member

ok...sorry XP proffessional

4. Rezin

Rezin Member

Does the account you're using have administrator rights?

I don't actually have an XP install here to test with, but apparently there's more than 1 way to tell.

http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-if-You-Have-Administrative-Rights-in-Windows-Xp

http://superuser.com/questions/27263/how-to-verify-my-current-user-has-admin-rights-or-not

5. OP
    OP
    bassface

bassface Member

yes i have administrators rights but like i said "change how users etc" is not an option in the past it was a symptom of installing netgear /dlink wireless app that would change the gina but not this (its not my comp btw..a friends)..

6. Rezin

Rezin Member

Not sure what you mean by 'msgina' and 'gina', but anyway.... maybe this could do it, seeing as it goes through the registry (directly):

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2993-enable-disable-welcome-screen

7. OP
    OP
    bassface

bassface Member

nup tried that ..didnt work ..when i go to control panel /user accounts instead of getting the usual screen i get a screen that lists all the users and at the bottom it has "to change the password etc" so there is no option for me to select normal welcome screen.

8. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

is this a stand alone computer or a member of a domain?

9. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

Not running Pcanywhere by any chance?

10. EC MEISTER

EC MEISTER Member

I have no idea what it is you're actually trying to get to but I assume you want your computer to start up and go straight to your desktop. If this is the case under user accounts make sure you disable all other accounts. IIRC way back I installed a .NET package and that created another user which stopped me from seeing the welcome screen and lead to picking the user / signing in. If this isn't the case, you should provide a picture of what the problem is.

11. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

He wants the login screen in XP that shows you all the Users available on the machine. You click a user then it asks for that users password and you login. Unfortunately I've forgotten how to switch this on and off...been a few years since I used XP in a home environment!

12. glasswindow

glasswindow Member

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...n-us/ua_logon_at_welcome_page_w.mspx?mfr=true

To turn the Welcome screen on or off
    You must have a computer administrator account on a computer that is a member of a workgroup or is a stand-alone computer to turn on or turn off the Use the Welcome screen feature. Logging on at the Welcome screen is not available on computers that are members of a network domain
    Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
    Click Change the way users log on or off.
    Do one of the following:

To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box.
    A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.
    The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

This isn't available on OP's computer, glasswindow.

14. CirCit

CirCit Member