Changing Account name on iMac

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by glenpinn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hi, i just sold my daughters 2010 iMac to a fellow member from Hobart, last night i removed the Win 7 bootcamp partition and downloaded/installed High Sierra, but i want to change the long Account name on the iMac from my full name to the new owners name.

I know i can go into the iCloud settings and change the long name to the new owners name, and change the email address as well, plus change the payment details from mine to their details as well, but that does not seem to change the account name from my own name (click on the Apple icon, and it appears at the bottom of the drop down box)

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25150?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

After High Sierra installed, the Users Folders were clear of any files that were in them before.

The buyer has not got an Apple account, so how can i change the account name so my name is not associated with this iMac any more.

Cheers

2. darknebula

darknebula Member

Why not just create a new admin account and then log into that and delete your old account.

3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Its ok now, i realized that to sell a Mac, i really needed to erase the Disk (Option/Command/R) which was fine, and then i tried to re-install High Sierra from scratch, but it got an error saying it couldn't contact the backup server, however i didn't realize i had to connect the ethernet cable, once i did that it started the installation.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204904

I guess this will basically revert the iMac to factory state, only with the latest OS installed, so the buyer will have to boot the iMac and enter his details, which means he will need to create an Apple ID and go from there.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  4. everybodies

everybodies Member

drop to shell (bash) as another user
    cd /Users
    sudo rm -R username/
    deletes everything