Changing and building a new loop

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Will S, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Will S

Will S Member

Going to move current system into its original lian li 011 case and basically build a new system with new mobo, gpu and cooling parts.
    New System

Lian li 011 Dynamic XL ( already have )
    9900KF ( already have )
    16gig 3600 memory ( already have )
    M.2 and SSD drives ( already have )

2 EK CryoFuel Concentrate 100mL Coolant Clear
    10 EK-STC Classic Fitting 10/13 Black
    1 Corsair Hydro X Series XT SL 10/13mm PVC Tubing 3m
    1 EK CoolStream PE 360 Triple Radiator
    1 EK Waterblocks EK-XTOP Revo D5 RGB PWM - Plexi
    1 EK Velocity CPU Waterblock Nickel Plexi
    1 Thermal Grizzly Aeronaut Thermal Grease 3ml
    1 EK Quantum Kinetic FLT 240 D5/DDC Body D-RGB Plexi
    1 Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard
    1 Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Aorus Waterforce WB 8GB .... yes thats the expensive part but I didnt want to pull apart my 1080ti and water cool. Instead I will sell that with the 8700k and hero motherboard with 280 aio. And along with the $750 bonus from Govt that will go close to paying for that. The Govt wants us to spend to keep the economy going so I am doing that

Now the build will be the current EK 360 slim stays in the case case at top and a 40mm 360 will go in the bottom. The FLT 240 will at the rear/side at top with enough room for a 120mm fan by itself at bottom.

The Flow will be GPU to CPU to top rad .....top rad with a straight run down to bottom rad and from bottom rad up to the bottom of the FLT 240 and the FLT240 will then go from out to GPU

All up this would have to be a very stupid decision................money wise and not really needed. I have ordered and too late to cancel but wtf.......

2. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

ended up changing my mind...way to much screwing around but the 2080 super is way too big to fit in the smaller dynamic so switched it with the 2080 in the Dynamic XL and even then it just fits

I couldnt face the wiring :)

Anyway only problem was I knocked my water bottle over when draining the loop......oh well

Will need another rad.........

Anyway...... it looks great but for some reason I cant get my photos into the PC from my phone

3. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well am a rad short but I can fire it up without it....problem is I put the pump and res down and cant find it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Well think I have killed my M.2 drive..............after taking it from old PC it had all sticky gunk on it so I cleaned it.......and when I booted new PC it would lockup at boot screen so just dod a clean reinstall of Wondows and only have one M.2 drives showing

anyway have it running with win10 reinstalled and activated........and its cool with only the one rad but then its a cool evening and no panels ...gpu is at 26C and CPU package at 30C

Ran unengine benchmark for 30 minutes and temp was max 42C and CPU package 53C

Overclocking will follow ....maybe after I put the other rad in

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  5. arasta

arasta Member

hard luck on the m2 mate... those distribution plates are pretty tho! not cheap, the latest one out i saw on pccg was 450 bucks :S

6. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Give your M.2 drive a good hose with electrical Contact Cleaner. Chances are it's got a short somewhere caused by the sticky residue - coolant from your leak?

There's a chance that it'll go if you remove the short, if the short wasn't across two critical points.

Grab Contact Cleaner from Bunnings maybe - they're still doing Click and Collect I think so you don't have to run around the shop. Use it outside - it's not the nicest stuff to spray around the house. I'm sure there'd be an Electrical shop somewhere in the 'Gong that'd have it if Bunnings don't.

7. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Actually it was caused by a short in my brain or just been lazy. I put it in and then thought the heat sink would keep it in place but it must have moved out ..........so its now running sitting at at 30 degree angle and I will find that little screw and secure it before putting the haetsink back on :shock:

Have to say the EK Flat 240 looks good with some of the RGB effects...........I would give it 10 out of 10 if they had put some thought into the ports...........having 5 on the bottom ( 2 underneath and 3 on bottom front ) and only one fill port on top is stupid, they should have had inlet on the other side and a fill port on the top.Was going to bolt it directly to the case with the D5 pump sticking out into the back but the cables come out the rear and its only about 2mm to bend them so used the thiner brackets . Would have been nice if Lian li instead of having short20 mm sections for attaching things like fans had a slot going at the way up the side so you could slide them were you wanted.

Now its just wait for delivery of the last parts ....PCCG is struggling with getting stuff out as I think its now only online ordering . Those 3 fans with green inserts are Noctua 120mm NF-S12A and only max speed of 1200rpm and are quiet even with covers still of case ( running at 70% ). Even if this is not a Corsair build I still am using Corsair Commander ( it was in the old case withe 140mm fans ) just to control the fan spped with iCue. Am really starting to like iCue .

Finally thinking about putting the RGB base of the D5 pump ontop of the GPU ( doube sided tape ) and plugging that into one of the onboard led connections............mistake I made was not getting the RGB water block for cpu

thats for the Phantek case and it is expensive but I reckon it would look nice

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    juzz86 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Just ran Doom 2016 ( Doom Eternal is the biggest disappointment ever ) for 60 minutes and at the end it was max temp of 50C for GPU and 68C for CPU package with ambient of 24C so will definitely install the other radiator as I havent o/c it yet

edit: and found another problem with the flt240...draining it is a bitch , it drains the reservoir using the drain hole but the rest of the loop is full ....was going to order a y splitter but forgot . So you have to be careful where you put your drain ...wouldnt use their drain port ...only way to get it empty was to remove the tube from the top rad to the input port and get a little water mess......no electrics there so its safe but when I have fans there that will be a different situation

When I put the other rad in the bottom I may put some sort of Y splitter in there with one going to the input and the other going to the drain

wonder if in Wollongong they have water cooling parts ?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  9. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

I will say one thing about ek Compression fittings ... no chance of the soft tubing falling off....a lot tighter then Corsair ones

Thinking about the radiator in the rear/front and bolting the flt240 to the radiator....only problem is you have to use the bottom 240mm of the 360 radiator and that makes the 2 ports at the bottom useless ..if they only had a full port on the top right. By bolting both frames together that will give me 80mm clearance from the radiator for air to disperse...I cant see it hindering air flow and maybe 2 fans at the bottom to give me more air coming in for things like M.2 drives .

Will wait until I get the rad and see how things look ...
    [​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well it didnt work out .......ended up putting rad in bottom and it was so bloody awkward getting from bottom rad to reservoir that I had to move some tubing ...maybe should have used the ones under the reservoir ... didnt have enough 90 degree fittings and then I made the newbie farkup

I forgot to connect my front case connectors :tired::mad:

[​IMG]

The only good thing is the case doesnt have a start button on the motherboard but actually on the rear shield so I will use that...the case will now sit parallel to wall on a coffee table so it is just as easy to turn on there.
    will tie the drain to the back of case so it will lift of the rad

anyway just running the loop to get air out

So what have I learnt......EK's designs are farked......honestly, more ports on the top . The Corsair Reservoir has 2 on the top and easier to mount where I want...............

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  11. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well I relented and drained the loop ( and thats a bitch) , removed the radiator and connected the case connections and its now put back together and have to say it looks good ..........still should have got the EK RGB CPU waterblock or another Corsair one ( marry it with the Corsair GPU waterblock )

The clear tubing flows nicely and with the green behind looks great...no matter my bitching about the ports on the flt240 I have to say it looks great

juzz86 likes this.