1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Charcoal vs gas BBQ

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by jas0nt, Mar 6, 2012.

?

Gas vs charcoal BBQ

1. Charcoal

65 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. Gas

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. dan77

dan77 Member

I have a gas bbq with volcanic rock and I put some charcoal with the volcanic rock sometimes too. I'll get a webber if I want to play more with smoking and slow cooking.

2. Recharge

Recharge Member

Given the choice, I'd go wood, always seems to give a better flavour and atmosphere, it's just a little more effort.

mind you, I don't haven't been to, or held a BBQ in a dogs age, so it really doesn't matter.

3. Anteros

Anteros Member

I went out to look at BBQs today, i have to get a new one now after seeing the Kamado Joe(spell check?). It's selling for $999 in bbq galore at the moment, is this a good deal or should i look for something/somewhere else?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. Fishface

Fishface Member

Some disambiguation is needed here I think.

Charcoal: a product obtained by heating wood in a sealed oven. Low density and lights easily.

Heatbeads: A mixture of sawdust and coke ( produced from coal) which is molded into round beads approx 50 mm in diameter. Best lit with some kind of firestarter cubes

Weber BBQ kettles generally are used with heatbeads. While you can use charcoal it does not burn as hot and the distance from the fire tray to the grill is a bit large to get nicely grilled meat.

Charcoal BBQs are usually open and have grilles closer to the charcoal layer.

5. Brett

Brett Member

Charcoal burns hotter than heatbeads and burns away faster but leaves less ash.

6. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

One thing I'm curious about, how are you guys getting your coals hot in a charcoal BBQ? I always built the fire, threw in the charcoals, and let it burn down, but it was like an hour long process and you needed kindling, wood, and coals so it was a bit of a PITA, but it sounds like you're doing something different?

I'm quite keen to get a solid Hibachi to go with our gas BBQ

7. Brett

Brett Member

One of these, takes ~15 mins for a full chimney, that number of beads is more than most people will never need.
    ~$25 locally.

8. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

just found this thread, WIN!!!

9. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

The choice is easy.

Go to the BBQ Pron thread.

Look at Amfibius' piri-piri chicken.

Buy Kamado.

Thank me later.

10. renagade

renagade Member

Kamado Joe Owner.
    Wouldn't give it up easily.

11. caspian

caspian Member

having just gotten my natural gas converted barbie going in the last month or so, I am very happy with it. wheel barbecue to gas point, plug in lead and hit the tap, 10 minutes later you're cooking, and when the cast iron burner bars are glowing red I don't see how much more heat you need.

I may get a kamado one of these days, but I really can't go past the convenience and ease of town gas.

12. snapsy

snapsy Member

I've also gone down this route, as i have a natural gas plumbed in. Although i also have a Weber and smoker ill be looking to upgrade to a kamodo later on.

Having a gas BBQ really only serves one purpose for me and that's because i really don't want to be stoking up a fire for bacon and eggs in the morning. I like the fact i can turn the BBQ on and listen to my kids scream whilst not lighting a fire is valuable to me.

If we have i have a little bit more time on my hands or have planned a lunch or some occasion id generally whip out the weber for a low and slow type meal.

13. caspian

caspian Member

I'd like to experiment with a Weber, maybe I'll go that route to avoid the cost of a kamado - I can't ever see myself doing an ultra slow cook, I just don't have the time. watching BBQ Pit Boys on Youtube does look good!

14. kingjam

kingjam Member

Ideally you have both, but Amfibius' post on page 1 sums it all up perfectly (except I'd replace the phrase 'Kamado Joe' with 'Big Green Egg' :D - but I know they're a bit hard to come by these days in Australia and are essentially the same thing).

If you're doing a big cookout, being able to fire up a gas plate and cook a huge load of snags is handy. But to choose only one - charcoal, without question.

As an aside - I found this mob up in China doing BGE/Kamado knock offs. Given I only have a gas grill here I'm quite tempted. The largest size gives a 65cm cooking area! I love the last photo - reminds me of Alien....

15. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

I know charcoal tastes better when done properly, on the odd occasion dad will get it going and it really is awesome.

But for the random BBQ night with just cheap sausages/burgers, gas all the way, just for the convenience and effort/speed.

I agree that ideally you would have both. Which is what we have. :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  16. pugsley

pugsley Member

I'm in the market for a bbq and i'm considering charcoal. My biggest issue so far has been finding a place that can provide me with fuel for my fire :p

Anyone know of any places around the Brisbane/GoldCoast area that sell good quality lump, turd or brick?

17. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

Gas for convenience.

Charcoal for taste.

Whenever I have a BBQ I like to make it an occasion where I can chillax and eat well cooked/flavoured food. I use my weber kettle for that. If I want convenience I just go cook food over the gas stove or in the convection oven.

18. cowsword

cowsword Member

If you really enjoy the whole bbq experience, you can't go past charcoal. More effort, cost, cleaning, but more taste and 'barbecuedness'.

Nothing beats wings or ribs in the kettle with some hickory.

Id like one of these 'big green egg' smoker/oven things, but I dont have enough people to cook for to warrant it. Then again, its a reason for hunting trips. Mmmmm boar :L)

[​IMG]

At bunnings the other day, I was in the garden section and I thought that two terracotta pots inverted on each other with some holes, handles, and a grate or two could do the same thing...

19. kingjam

kingjam Member

Cooking for 1 is enough :thumbup:

You could certainly cook food in that contraption, temporarily. Wouldn't hold the heat so well :p

Just dig a hole in your backyard - cleanup will be easier.

20. cowsword

cowsword Member

Too late :)

[​IMG]