1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Charcoal vs gas BBQ

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by jas0nt, Mar 6, 2012.

?

Gas vs charcoal BBQ

1. Charcoal

65 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. Gas

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. kingjam

kingjam Member

Perfect!

I love a hangi.

2. cowsword

cowsword Member

:upset:A hangi?

SINNER!!!!!

That there is a 'lovo'. "LOVO".

Hangi has sand and shit all through it. Kiwi's can't earth oven like Rotumans. :) They too busy watchin that game called league. As opposed to Rugby, or Seven's.

3. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

Dunno bout that as far as clean - BGE are basically self cleaning up top and just need a scrape out in the firepit.

They work really well, lots of people do this idea as essentially that's what a BGE is. Even some US competition BBQ'ers use mini setups for smoking meats in to eat while they're competing.

4. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

I would suggest for low/slow cooks that a kamado is actually a LOT cheaper to run (i use about $2-3) of charcoal for a 16 hour cook. as has also been mentioned, the cleaning is quite easy as well.

also, effort wise, this is also subjective As effort is only based on a like for like cooking method.
    I can have a kamado up to temperature and a lot more stable than a gas bbq in a lot less time but this is experience as well as equipment (about 10 minutes)

My steps for cooking on the kamado (low/slow) are. All the other steps are identical on gas

1. Fill the kamado with charcoal (about 30 seconds)
    2. Put 1/2 a chimney of charcoal on the gas burner (about 30 seconds)
    3. Once the charcoal is lit (about 5 mins)Dump the charcoal in the kamado
    4. Turn on the stoker (unit 1 minute)
    5. Go inside and start preparing the food to place on the kamado (during this time the stokers PID control will stabilise the fire to within half a degree celcius)

5. kindred

kindred Member

I've got a gas webber, and before had a charcoal webber.

Love the convince of the gas webber and it really does come close to the flavour of the charcoal with the lid down and lower heat (leave it for 15mins on full to heat it up initially), well to me at least.

Charcoal Webber is the best solution if you're having a party though ;)

6. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cooking with gas

i bought a webber, just to try out charcoal cooking,

its great for slow roasts, but other then that its just a pain in the ass for general quick cooks.

want a steak? click on the gas wait 1 minute till its bitching hot. bang bang steak.

charcoal, fuck around with coals for 40 mins and then start cooking. and then fuck around with the vents to try and control the heat.

if i did it more often it might help, but if you are cooking a dinner to be ready at a certain time, its been hit and miss unless you really get with it.

with gas its a lot easier to control the heat, but the effects of kettle cooking are missed, but i still wont turn dont a gas bbq cooked roast.

7. caspian

caspian Member

actually, I really can't see the point of a gas webber. better off just getting a conventional 4-burner with plate and grille if you're going to burn gas.

8. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

yup.........

Click to view full size!