1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Charity Wireless Network for Royal Adelaide Hospital Haematology Ward

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by youngpro, Nov 28, 2008.

1. youngpro

youngpro Member

Hey all,

Just thought Id let you know about a project I have started to work on and hope to have active by the new year. The idea is simple. The haematology ward in the Royal Adelaide houses alot of patiences with lymphomas, leukemias and other unpleasant blood diseases. These diseases often leave patients neutropenic (very low white cell counts) as a result they can not leave their small rooms for periods of 4-6 weeks or even more in some cases.

Some of you know I am fighting leukemia myself at the moment, as a result it has given me a much greater appreciation of the sitaution alot of these people are going through. On top of the fact people are stuck in the rooms, they cannot work, and for people without savings it makes going onto expensive 3g internet plans not an option!

My proposal is to build a robust, secure and FREE wireless network for the people unfortunate enough to have long hospital stays at the RAH.

The network I have decided to go with will use Radius Certificate authentication.

I will require the following hardware to make this happen. I wanted to go with Cisco gear but they had some issues with the Leukemia Foundation whos banner I will operate under for this project. So I went with my next favourite wireless gear, freenet!

2x UltraWAP 200mV units
    1x Quality 8 port 10/100 switch
    1x Quality ADSL router
    1x Server for firewall/radius
    1x ADSL connection

I will be using a backend of smoothwall with freeradius as I have good experience of both. First UltraWAP will be AP with the second as a repeater using WDS. I want this to be easy to connect to but also a secured environment for those using it.

At the moment I have the server equipment donated, I have a microsoft 2003 ee license donated if I want to use a microsoft box as my CA.

I am looking for help with the

* 2 UltraWAP units
    * good quality ADSL router
    * 8 port 10/100 switch
    * ADSL connection

To keep it robust I would like to go with good quality brand name products, if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. If anyone has good contacts or works for internet providers that might be interested in supplying a normal ADSL link for us? Anything would be awesome!

Oh and if you think I should setup my network in another configuration please let me know...

Thanks for your support and suggestions.

2. Sniper

Sniper Member

3. yoda123

yoda123 Member

+1 for Internode. They are great people who I am sure would be willing to help out.

4. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

This may be a silly question, but does the hospital ward already use 2.4GHz comms? I ask because a number of 'hospital management' solutions use wireless systems, be they paging, RFID tag locating, auto 'vitals', etc. Any hospital that 'relies' on these sytems may have inbuilt rogue detection and prevention, that will see a quick end to your joy. Sorry to be a kill-joy. Hopefully its a non-issue.

Cheers :)

5. mhgarage

mhgarage Member

How many rooms/connections?

Great idea, just looks like a very complex setup.

Are you going bandwidth limit?

Do patients all have computers?

Can you get some long-term loaner laptops (they would probably have to be sterilized/isolated between patients, this might be hard)?

Where can you put your hardware in the hospital?

I assume you realize that most hospitals require patient safe certification on all equipment, not sure if this affects your setup but you might want to investigate.

Good luck & good on you.

6. caspian

caspian Member

I'll purchase and donate the switch to the project if you like.

7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I'd be happy to help with an AP (depending on the price).

8. Lardman

Lardman Member

I'll be able to help with donations, and possibly a switch. 'Tis a very good cause. (I'd honestly hate being tied to a bed for 6 months...)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  9. zetter

zetter Member

Have you discussed this with any of the people within the IT Department at the RAH? They may have issues with you installing infrastructure within their buildings and especially if it may cause issues/conflicts with any of their clinical systems.

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

+ 1 for this they are fairly narky if they are left out of the loop.

offering my cabling/ install services if needed/ also if anything needs to be picked up.

RAH is a good place spent 15 days there after my fall

11. OP
    OP
    youngpro

youngpro Member

thanks for your response everyone,

yeah its been organized with the RAH it staff, as long as they dont have to fund it, its fine!

thanks to freenet for supporting us with two ultrawap units, we are thinking now the plan might be not to run a server2003 with radius... but instead grab a linksys unit, ddwrt and run chillispot with token authentication..

issue tokens on a weekly basis to patients!

i have also put in a request with internode for full infrastructure support and iinet for internet support.. ill move forward when i hear from the internet companies!

12. LeadAccelerator

LeadAccelerator Member

Great work mate!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

13. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

Nice work good to see you helping out the patients!

14. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Contact Adam Internet too, they may be interested in supporting this.

15. chunksoul

chunksoul Member

who are you talking too at internode.

I know the project and infrastructure guy i play squash with him most weeks.

He is responsible for city lan and i am sure i can convince him it's a good plan

16. BOB_LORDOFEVIL

BOB_LORDOFEVIL Member

Hey mate, I currently work at an ISP and I will put this forward to my managers to see what they think :)

17. davidw89

davidw89 Member

You can have my Linksys WRT54G v5 flashed with dd-wrt micro. Just give me and address and i'll send it over.

18. KonMan

KonMan Member

Sounds like a great project !

Have you been able to do a site test with some wi-fi gear to see if you will be able to cover the area you want to ?

A few years back I set up a temporary wireless mesh network at the Austin/Mercy hospital in Melbourne during construction using WRT54g units (ye old ver2).
    I found that hospital walls just absorb wi-fi with all the stuff going through them.
    (The system was for the builders and not patients).

19. willy

willy Member

I have a CISCO 837 router which i will be willing to donate. Only DSL1 but you said you wanted reliable ;-)

Im sure you could almost get all the gear you need via donations ;-)

20. OP
    OP
    youngpro

youngpro Member

hey guys,

yeah i have scoped the site with a bit of wireless recon and it looks like 2 AP's should cover the area (its not a huge area) just fine!

through kind donations i have so far secured,

linksys 54g (to run dd-wrt and chillispot, act as central wireless hub)
    2x ultrawap 200mV (to act as repeaters in wds mode)
    a pc to handle chillispot tokens

still just looking for a good quality ADSL2 modem (thanks willy for the cisco dsl1 offer, thats a great sturdy modem, but just due to quantity of users adsl2 would be prefered) and of course the internet itself!

to answer a question from above, the leukemia foundation has a couple laptops it circulates around to people that dont have access.. and i also might do a bit of a drive to companies im associated with asking for more donated laptops to add into that loop!

i am also going to shoot off a request to sony and samsung and see if we can rehaul this old CRT/PS1 station they have with a PS3/LCD for the younger kids that are in the hospital ;)

thanks for your kind donations!