Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. bYrd

bYrd Member

I was looking at the larger Fabrikator but they seemed to have too many problems out of the box; check the HobbyKing forums for more info. These look cool though.

2. aXis

aXis Member

Build area is quite small - 80 x 80 mm. I'd probably only fit about half of my prints in that. You can print multiple parts and then join them but it's painful.

My current unit is 150 x 150mm, but I'd say 95% of my prints are under 120mm. Beyond that I get a fair bit of warping.

3. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Aside from me giving my signature a cheap plug right now, if you're mech minded the RepRap approach is becoming yet more affordable, especially now there is some feirce competition between australian retailers of chinese import parts like NEMA steppers, arduinos, hotends and bits like bearings and rod. $40 will get you a full arduino/mega/stepstick/endstop setup ready to plug your electronics into and go

Looking back I could have built my Wallace for considerably less than the $800 it cost me at the time

4. aXis

aXis Member

Yeah i'm hoping to take advantage of that to get cheap parts for a Cyclone PCB Factory build. They have a lot in common with the structure of the open source printers, just a different head (router spindle).

5. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Are there any 3D printers that would be suitable for printing double shot keycaps?

6. aXis

aXis Member

Surface finish on most printers isn't great, the keycaps would be a bit rough. Also standard filament printers will have a hard time with the overhang, and small details required for the lettering.

Maybe a photolithographic one would be better but it's a challenging print for any hobbyist printer.

7. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I reckon you could do it but you would need to take it very slow, fit a very fine nozzle, and to spend a bunch of time tweaking the printer to get it exactly right

8. salem_christ

salem_christ Member

It's down to USD$235 right now.
    https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/full-acrylic-reprap-prusa-i3-kit

How is it going? I've never even seen a 3D printer in the flesh before, but have been obsessed with the idea for a while. Would it be any good for a complete novice? I know how to use a screwdriver, and can solder in a pinch....but I'm not exactly an engineer.

9. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Thought I'd give a little update on this V3 printer.

I'm up to issue 27, I subscribed so I get 4 every month with all the binders and tools etc, here it is in it's current state as of today.

If you want better pics of the printer or pics of the tools and magazines I can post some.

[​IMG]

As you can see it's coming together pretty well, it's a little fiddly with some things but all the parts seem to be pretty good quality and the instructions are clear enough (for me at least).

The magazines themselves still have a lot of info about 3d printers, how there being used etc and they have a few designs in the back of them that you can apparently get from the website.

The SketchUP tutorials are well explained, easy to follow and also tell you what shortcuts to use which is good.

The tool kit isn't the greatest (I'm spoilt with Kincrome tools tho :leet:) but it's good enough to put this together and do maintenance on it so cant really complain.

10. katastrophe

katastrophe Member

For a complete novice who knows how to use google and doesn't mind having to tweak stuff, they're great for the price. I have 2 of them. 1 is kind of my "don't mess with it once it's working" machine. The other one is for playing around with a trying stuff out.

If you're expecting something that works perfectly straight out of the box I'd suggest looking elsewhere, though you'll be paying considerably more. On the other hand, for this price, the unit (once assembled and levelled) works well enough without messing about to print components to make up for it's shortcomings. Calibrate your extruder steps (mine was pretty woeful stock), add print cooling and do an upgrade to the latest Marlin and it's a pretty exceptional machine for the price.

Little things are annoying, like the flex on the LCD panel but there's so many people that have bought this machine that there's fixes and printable parts to fix just about every little quirk, and quite frankly if you're buying a DIY machine that's the point really. Google has a lot of useful information from people that have bought this machine and how they've tweaked it. Auto bed level is my next addition personally.

Great machine for the price, but don't buy one if you're easily frustrated I guess.

11. salem_christ

salem_christ Member

Thanks for the feedback..... Will have to have a think about my tolerance for fiddling.....

12. bYrd

bYrd Member

I'm still rocking out with my eBay special CTC3D printer - was $699 but now I see you can get it for $599; it's noisy but hasn't skipped a beat. As a novice I get reliable prints and don't have to mess around with much to get it there.

When I have the guts I'll mod the firmware to Sailfish to make it think it is a Makerbot Replicator Dual :)

13. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I bought one, built it over the weekend and did some calibration. I got the first layer down fine. However after that it just all goes to hell. Possibly leveling issue. When you say calibrate extruder steps, what do you mean by that? That sounds like possibly what my issue is. After first layer, the extruder doesn't seem to be pushing out plastic at a sufficient rate.

14. aXis

aXis Member

Your gcode is going to tell the printer to extrude say 10mm of filament, and then the printer firmware will need to know the steps per mm in order to drive the extruder stepper the correct amount. To check this you can mark a known spot on the filament and measure to some datum (e.g. the extruder inlet), manually command it to extrude 100mm and then measure again.

The proper way to apply the correction is to update the setting in the printer firmware using a manual gcode command. Alternatively you might be able to apply a filament volume adjustment factor in your slicer, but if you then use a different slicer you'll have to apply the correction again.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  15. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Not sure what that means. I'll look around the software and do some google reading for it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :thumbup: :)

16. aXis

aXis Member

Just to take a step back...

Your slicing software is configured to know your nozzle size and layer height, and uses that to calculate how much volume of filament is required for any particular line segment. It's also configured with your filament diameter, and uses that to then calculate the length of filament required (volume = Pi * radius^2 * length). If everything goes well the appropriate amount of filament is laid out.

If the slicer is configured wrong (layer height, nozzle diameter, filament diameter) or the printer is configured wrong (steps per mm) they it wont dispense as much filament as it expected and will cause problems.

The first place to check and fix is the printer calibration (steps per mm) and then move up to the slicing software.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  17. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

I know officeworks have offered a printer for a while, and that probably qualifies as 'mainstream', but now Aldi are in on the act. [$499] (the link will be dead around the 20th)

Edit: they are also offering filament at $35/kg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  18. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Dunno if any of you guys would of seen this but Jaycar has 2 3D printers, ones a standard square style pre built $1,399 and the others a delta kit $649 (normally $699).

No clue how good they are but I thought the price for the delta wasn't to bad.

I've been looking at the resin printers, seems like some company's are coming out with compact ones like the iBox Nano & Photocentic LC, granted they are still expensive and the build area is tiny but its better than having a big projector setup.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  19. mike-s

mike-s Member

I tried to subscribe to this, but couldn't get the subscription to complete, I'm glad to see someone else could.

20. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah I had problems to the first few times, the website is a bit spastic.

Really though unless your a complete n00b (like me) a better cheaper faster buy would be a kit printer from eBay or a prebuilt one like the Aldi one.

This printer should be a good one but the amount of money and time that's going to it is a bit over the top when you factor in build area, quality and overall support. The only reason I really went for it was for the SketchUp tutorials because there stupidly easy to follow :p.

I'm up to issue 31 atm but its going to take me about another 14 months to finish it :upset:.