1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. miicah

miicah Member

The ender 3 is on sale at gearbest for black friday! $250 delivered.

2. echineon

echineon Member

Between ender 3 and the aldi one which one do you think is better?

3. miicah

miicah Member

I think the consensus is the ender is the best value atm

4. whatisk

whatisk Member

Ender 3. The recent Aldi one was the mini (I believe) that has a small print area.
    Once dialed in, people are getting awesome prints with the Ender 3. I have one myself and have been more than happy with the results I'm getting without needing to tinker too much.

5. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

A few months into ownership and I'm still getting awesome prints with TPU and PLA. I would barely say I even had to dial it in, it just works. Printed a new nose and battery + fpv camera holder for my S800 out of TPU

[​IMG]

6. echineon

echineon Member

I just bought the Aldi one yesterday but will be returning for sure. Control was okay but I feel print quality can be improved. The fact that it only does PLA is more restrictive than Ender 3. Currently Ender is on sale on ebay as well. 15% off sitewide with one seller brings price down to $211.

7. echineon

echineon Member

PSA: just went to Aldi today to return the printer, they are having clearance on 3d printer for $150. Filament also were on sale for $18 PLA 1kg but only a very few left. The one I went to was Bankstown Airport Aldi end of Henry Lawson Dr. Plenty of printers left. 1-2 rolls of filaments there. I already ordered some Pantech ABS+ and PLA so only bought one more PLA roll from Aldi.

For $150 it is a very good buy, but I bought the Ender 3 from ebay, stacked with 5% off gift card and 15% sitewide discount on Thursday so the $249 spent on Ender 3 was only $201 after all the discount accounted for. $50 extra to the Aldi on clearance now in exchange for larger printbed and more selection of filament so no complaint there. :)

8. miicah

miicah Member

Yep, I missed the 15% sitewide and hoping they do it again on Monday. Already have my gift cards purchased and ready to go!

9. echineon

echineon Member

Just got my ender 3 delivered today. Assembly is IKEA level, if you feel lost the SD card includes video for instruction as well. The one I got was pleasantly V2.3 which has the removable bed. No play at all on the frame so I think their quality is improving. The filament feeder is still a little bit stiff and hard to feed through. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and this ebay seller (PM me if you want buyer verdict).

My first Benchy (didn't do Benchy with Aldi one):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dmandn

dmandn Member

Personally, I'd say the Ender 3 or similar model from Creality. Their newer models and revisions are quite good.

11. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

12. miicah

miicah Member

My Ender 3 is supposed to be arriving today!

pinchies likes this.
  13. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I got the Wanhao Duplicator D7 from ebay last week for $440AUD inc delivery. I was after the Anycubic Photon but they're not discounted. Only minor differences between the two anyway. Haven't had time to do a test print yet however. Waiting for my ultrasonic cleaner to arrive first. Anycubic Photon is the one that everyone recommend for budget resin printer. Similarly priced to the Elegoo. I assume specs are similar too.

14. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

The Wanhao doesn't look to bad but not having a touchscreen installed on the "normal" version is pretty stupid and the "plus" version is expensive. The Anycubic is nice, even $610 from eBay isn't a bad price for it really considering what your getting.

I'm holding out on buying resin for a few reasons but the main one is I want a 4k screen, 1440p is great but 4k in one of these cheap ones, you'd be laughing especially if the price stayed about the same.

15. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh the plus would be nice. But I can work around it easily enough so it wasn't going to be much of an issue. I do wish the shroud on the D7 has the see through piece though. Mine's completely solid. I might modify mine or build a new one for that. not too hard to do. Just a box really.

16. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Not having an LCD is a deal breaker for me, printers are so much easier with one. That shroud would get annoying as well, suppose it wouldn't be to hard to get proper acrylic that blocks UV, apparently some of the acrylics supplied on some resin printers don't block UV properly.

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh not 100% sure on that either. I suppose wouldn't be too difficult to do a small test sample. From what I understand, as long as it's orange/red it'll be able to block the UV wavelength. Size is about A4 per side, I can get A4 sheets pretty cheap. So might give that a shot later.

18. miicah

miicah Member

Completely pulled apart my ender3 and followed an unofficial guide on the 'official' fan page on facebook for assembly.

Everything is nice and aligned now, and there were many steps that weren't covered in the 1 page guide from ender (adjusting eccentric nuts on X/Y trolleys).

echineon likes this.