Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I know this has probably been asked to death.

Can anyone recommend an AU filament manufacturer and or distributor. I do know of Aurarum.

Mostly after good quality (premium) filaments in PETG, ABS/ASA and PC.

2. pinchies

pinchies Member

I might be able to help you with good cheap PETG and ABS... sent you a PM.

dave_dave_dave likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Is the aluminium on your Ender bed flat?

Are the roller wheels on all axis going smooth or is there a bit of binding?

4. tangcla

tangcla Member

I've ordered from 3dfillies for ABS, PLA and PETG.

5. whatisk

whatisk Member

The bed on my Ender3 dips a little in the middle. I've tried glass with no luck. Issues with adhesion (prob need to use glue stick or similar) and the dip still seemed to be there. If printing something small I print away from the middle. If something big I usually raise each corner by quarter turn.
    I have recently received a BLTouch clone from Aliexpress to try out but am yet to install it as I need to flash a bootloader, etc first. It's on the list of things to do.

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Me too, their PLA+ is decent.

7. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Glass is meant to give a flat surface so the dip shouldn't matter unless it's really bad and not transferring heat correctly, if so contact Creality and see if they'll send a replacement. They have been getting a lot better with beds, on the higher end printers the beds are a couple mm thicker so no warping.

For filament there's Kingdom3D or X3D they both sell cheapish filament over here (they don't make it though), can get some decent cheap stuff off Amazon as well, colorme3d makes some nice stuff.

8. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Be interested to know how the BLTouch clone goes, mine too dips in the middle. I got a few good prints out of it but have struggled the last few days to get anything. :(

I heard they arent overly keen on sending out replacement beds....

9. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Doesn't hurt to try, if they don't then they don't.

If your levelling your bed but it's not staying level after a few prints then it's probably not the bed it's something else.

10. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I've been having fun with the duplicator D7. The things it can print are pretty amazing. :D

12. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah I've seen how good they can print, was on one of Nery's streams where he had the Elegoo Mars, awesome for the price.

I'm hoping to use mine for scale models, wanna make 1/48 scale dioramas.

13. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I've been printing 1/6 scale prop stuff for my collection. The ironman print is tiny. About 6cm tall only as a test print. The Skull Vodka bottle is 1/6 scale.
    upload_2019-1-2_11-16-51.png

1/6 Infinity stones and Loki's Scepter stand. The stand is just primed and painted. No touchup. You can still see the stepping on the angled side but the flat vertical is pretty smooth as it is. The stones are about 2.5mm to 10mm for the largest. No work done except painting.
    upload_2019-1-2_11-20-48.png
    upload_2019-1-2_11-18-37.png

And a self powered 1/6 Arc Reactor. :D Battery is in the base.
    upload_2019-1-2_11-27-55.png

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    miicah likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Those are nice. I'll be hopefully doing a Simpsons & Family Guy house, maybe Futurama Planet Express building as well inside and out of all of them. The models are going to be tiny, seeing Homer is 6ft his 1/48 scale size is 38.1mm :shock: gonna be fun modelling everything to fit and getting the scale right.

My Photon should hopefully be here Tuesday :D, works out well because the 1000 Nitrile gloves I bought should be here Monday.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  15. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

My UV LEDs arrived so I'll be building my cure box this weekend. :D

16. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I've gotta do that still, I'm thinking I'll do an mirrored acrylic box with a lazy susan probably with some mirrored acrylic on it being powered by a 3 - 5v dc motor so it spins slowly which will be driven by a 12v supply through a buck converter, can power the LED's and the motor from the one supply ;).

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh I'm building a mirror acrylic box too. Small one. The print area of the D7 is not that large so there' no real reason to make it large. I can build a larger one when I get a larger printer. Thought about the lazy susan but there's light all around anyway so it's going to get all round exposure. No real need for that. There are solar powered ones that you can get which will spin when the UV lights comes on if you're still keen. I tested my UV strip through perspex last night and it still cures it. So I'm happy. I'm planning to make mine dual layer. I'll explain it better after I finish building it. :D

18. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

My semi completed UV cure box. Miscalculated the amount of UV LEDs I need lol and also need to use it now so it's just tape together for temporary use hehe.

upload_2019-1-5_20-45-14.png
    upload_2019-1-5_20-45-49.png

Aussiejuggalo, firey4059 and tangcla like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Nice and simple, I like it.

I'll attempt to model mine in Fusion in a few days, keyword being attempt. It'll be more complicated but I like doing things over the top :leet:.

20. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh I thought about doing it dual layer and stuff with another layer of mirror inside and the LED sitting right behind it and ability to remove the internal layer too. But this seems to work. However the LED I got are 3528 types so not as bright as I had hoped. The 5050 LEDs I got previously turns out to be the wrong type. So I've placed another order for a different type of 5050 LED hopefully they'll be brighter. Which also means I might have to replace some LEDS.