Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Ah yeah the 3528's aren't to bad but 5050 or 5630 would be better, I'd run them slightly under 12v though, maybe 10v just to preserve them a little longer.

Got something today :D.

(ignore my ugly mug, stupid acrylic!)

Click to view full size!

Doing the default test print although I do have other prints sliced on the USB, just wanted to do this one first. Didn't think it was going to take so long :wired:.

Click to view full size!

Also 1000 Nitrile gloves off eBay ($69 for the lot), think that should keep me going a while :p.

Click to view full size!

Now to play the waiting game. I'm not 100% sure I levelled the bed correctly but hopefully it's right, I also shook the crap out of the resin because I didn't know how long it'd been sitting and was to impatient to wait for the bubbles to go so the print may not be great :lol:.

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Oo nice! I have a box of latex gloves that my friend gave me that is keeping me going. I tend to reuse the same glove until it breaks so it'll last a while lol.

Yeh print time with resin is totally different to FDM. Each layer takes the same amount of time to cure regardless of size of object. So printing 1 object or 10 of the same will take the same amount of time as opposed to FDM. That's the beauty of it. :D Down side ofcourse is that printing 1 takes forever lol.

Also I read somewhere that people's resin has been curing inside the vat when sunlight goes through the transparent lid. Not sure if the Photon has the same issue. But keep out of sunlight/UV is probably not a bad idea.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I do heaps that need gloves so they will come in handy and seeing it cost $6.90 per box for the 1000 of them I'm not complaining.

Yeah I know resin is awesome, I've got 3 files sliced with full build plates on default settings, 2 will take an hour the other one is 4 hours because it's a lot taller.

Looking at the Photon I'm pretty sure the acrylic isn't the right colour to filter out a lot of the UV, I'm going to see about changing it to proper >405nm acrylic if I need to but that'll be down the road a bit, first I'll have to add a better filter (probably a vapour/gas one) and quieter fans.

4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh I was going to custom build an acrylic top for my D7 but after reading that, decided against it for now. I did do some test however. I got some arcylic and polycarbonate sheets and tested them with UV lights. I couldn't get any amber/orange sheets so i tested with a red sheet. Red does filter out a lot of UV light however using my 395nm torch, the resin did cure very slowly. However placing a sheet of 1mm clear polycarbonate infront of the red acrylic that appears to have filtered out all UV from my 395nm torch. Not sure what I have that is 405 so can't really tell if that's gonna work against 405nm. I do have some 5050 UV LEDs on their way and I think I have an old UV cold cathode from years ago when CC was the thing to put into your PC instead of LEDs lol. Anyway polycarbonate has interesting properties when hit with UV. When UV is shined through the polycarbonate sheet, it goes opaque. Again I haven't decided what I'm going to do for now. Might just do a window like the Photon but make a cover that allows it to be closed too just in case.

5. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I've got an acrylic place near me so hopefully they'll know what I need, probably end up going for the same stuff that's on laser cutters seeing its >500nm.

First print cleared the vat aaaaannnnd shit bed level was off so nothing stuck :lol:, I'll clean it all out tonight and try again tomorrow. The smell of the resin after a while is a bit annoying as well, gonna have to filter that soon.

6. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Did you select the right resin profile? If the base layer has not cured long enough it won't stick. Also each resin has different cure time so may need to calibrate each resin.

7. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

It was the test print from Anycubic with the sample resin and it cured fine, I'll take a pic tomorrow of the print once its fully cured, I dont have a uv light on hand as of yet.

My level was way off or the build plate is to smooth and it fell off but I'm sure it was my level. I'll do it again tomorrow but do it lower and I'll use one of my prints as well seeing they go way quicker I'll also pause the print which raises the bed so I can see if its failing before wasting hours.

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Leveling the plate should be dead easy on resin printer though. Just push the whole plate against the bottom and tighten it when it's completely flat.

9. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  10. tangcla

tangcla Member

Need to make an enclosure for my 3D printer to print PETG/ABS more reliably without warping.
    Ikea, here we come!

pinchies likes this.
  11. miicah

miicah Member

If you're still having issues, a super simple fix I found on reddit is to add a few layers of blue painters tape in the area that is bowed. Fixed mine up to a pretty decent level.

12. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

13. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

14. mtma

mtma Member

From my experiences brewing my own bowden upgrade for the Ultimaker, bowden upgrades done right are beneficial.

Optimising backlash is really helpful to getting that little bit more performance from the printer.

15. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

In coming pic spam :D (sorry, not sorry).

Been playing with my Photon for a few days and got some prints, not all turned out great like the test cube, it kinda failed but the rest turned out pretty nice. All the prints were using the default Photon slicer settings.

This is how I took the photos, home made (rather ghetto) light box thingy, going to buy a better one this week and mod it.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Test cube.

Click to view full size!

Failed to print the "Photon" bit for some reason.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Shark.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Dolphin.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

"Articulating" turtle that doesn't articulate.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

2 Piece butterfly.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Marvin army.

44 Marvins jammed on the build plate, all of them 50% scale with the king being 100%.

Click to view full size!

Unfortunately some idiot forgot to refill the vat :rolleyes:... so the King Marvin is missing his head :lol:.

Click to view full size!

Normal Marvin.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Marvin Fett.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Batman Marvin.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Easter Marvin.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Trooper Marvin.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Lucifer Marvin.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Baby Groot Marvin.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

"Cool" Marvin (or as I call him, Wire Marvin).

He's super squishy as well.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

And finally... Yoda Marvin.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 at 4:50 PM
    pinchies, ir0nhide and RyoSaeba like this.
  16. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

That's it. I'm going to lobby the wife for a SLA printer.

17. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

It’s easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission.

18. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

The Photon is only $609 from Anycubic's eBay ;).

19. C0V3R

C0V3R Member

Enclosure + wiping the print base with acetone before printing worked wonders for me on the aldi wanhao printer with ABS

Also printing @ 240 deg with 100c bed temp helped too, but the enclosure was critical

20. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

People still use ABS?