Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Friend whose a sign writer had some spare 6mm thick aluminium so he cut a piece down for me ;). It's a great bed but it is heavy (just under 1kg, same as stock bed with glass) so printing with fast movements can vibrate the whole printer but I can live with that. Also still need a silicone heatpad for it but had to swap out the PSU for a 500w Meanwell one first (heatpads are 300w).

On a side note, got an MKS Gen L with 2208 drivers coming from Banggood :leet: also got a food dehydrator and 7.5kg of silica gel bead things coming so I can dry the filament / keep it dry for longer. Wont be printing at all this week though because its raining :mad:.

2. whatisk

whatisk Member

Cheers. I got a glass bed a while ago to put over the stock bed to hopefully have the bed more level as seemingly like most of the Ender beds mine dips a bit in the middle. Tried it a couple of times here and there and couldn't get prints to stick (though at the time didn't try glue or hair spray) and always went back to the stock bed and printing on about half of it that I could level okay. Am still meaning to give the glass bed a go and use glue. I also really should get around to installing Marlin and the auto-bed leveller I've also had for a while.

I'm still printing despite the rainy weather :) But have been considering getting a cheap food dehydrator off Gumtree to dry out filament when required.

3. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Might print as well, just hard to decide what filament to use because half my rolls are to wet :(.

I got my dehydrator brand new off eBay for $55, thinking I probably should've gone the type with the pull out trays instead of the stackable one though. The stackable ones don't heat the centre so really you're only drying 20 - 30m of filament at a time.

4. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

I just use homebrand hair spray. A few layers after cleaning the bed, and a misting after each print works for me. Easy as.

5. mojos

mojos Member

More Ender 3 bed level awesomeness. This is a December shipped printer now running an EZABL with solid mounts, which is the only way I can currently get decent prints.

[​IMG]

6. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

How are you finding the EZABL? I have mine fitted, just waiting on the gear to flash the bootloader.
    I cant get anything to print due to my bed, eager to get going again.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  7. mojos

mojos Member

I like it a lot and it's actually made my printer functional on such a crap bed, shame it costs almost as much as the printer.

8. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Started the upgrades on the Ender 3.

Originals on the left, new on the right.
    The hold on the tube is so much better and they actually release. Also noticed filament moves much smoother\easier.

Attached Files:

9. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

I also ordered far to many, thought I ordered 3 of each... I ordered 3 packs of 10 each.... :rolleyes: so if anyone needs new ones let me know!

10. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

What size thread is on them?

11. mojos

mojos Member

Put me down, always looking for ways to get better results. Maybe with enough upgrades I will talk myself out of buying a Prusa.

12. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Just as I start to think I can print again..... fucking thing is driving me mental!

Attached Files:

13. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

14. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Same kinda issue I've been having but mines because I've got no heatbed lol. The way I've been dealing with it is making it squish heaps, even then it'll still warp at the corners.

On another note, got a food dehydrator to dry all my rolls, seems to work well but can only fit 1 roll :(.

Click to view full size!

Also went a little overboard on the silica.

Click to view full size!

A little over 1kg of silica in my filament box.

Click to view full size!

And finally X3D Black Diamond filament, nice stuff prints easy but needs more glitter.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

15. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

How much liquid actually comes out of the filament. Do you notice a massive difference between the dehydrated and non dehydrated?

16. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

No liquid actually comes out but it does bubble and pop when its heated, also the layers wont stick. If I've got another wet roll I'll do comparison photos of prints.

The glass blue eSun stuff I have had moisture in it, the silica bag was actually wet to the touch so it was pretty much impossible to print with, after 12 hours in the dehydrator it worked fine.

17. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Hmm... might need to invest in one. More space taken up. :p

18. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

This is the one I got, doesn't take up much space or use to much power, doesn't heat fantastic and even with the 7 tray version you still can't fit 2 spools but it works well, not to noisy either.

19. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

So noticed Monocure had some PLA filament, got the 5 sample pack thing with Wood, Silver Silk, Copper Silk, Matte black & White to Purple UV colour change. I haven't printed the wood yet but I printed everything else yesterday.

Here's the prints & also a quick video showing the shine of the silks.

The silks are damn nice filaments, gonna have to get more of the copper I think.

20. whatisk

whatisk Member

Finally got around to installing the BLTouch on my Ender 3 after having it sitting around for a month or so. Why did I wait so long to do it!?!?!? I can see me getting right into printing again and finally being happy I can successfully do larger prints that take up the majority of the bed.

You find the UV colour changing filament okay? I have some of the eSun UV colour change filament but haven't really given it a try yet. Do you find the object has to be outside, or would it change colour indoors if it gets a bit of sun?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019