Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I'll be ordering one of those this week as well. Don't totally need it but... may as well :leet:.

It seems to change pretty easily, having it near the door with some sun shining in changes it and being in the shade does as well, it doesn't seem to change when heaps of clouds are out or at least not quickly.

2. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

My Aliexpress order list at the moment.... :lol:

Attached Files:

3. whatisk

whatisk Member

Tried to order some sample filaments myself and despite saying free shipping when I go to checkout it's wanting to charge $24.95. Have emailed to see what's happening there...

4. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I've now tried out all of the eSun filaments I received, except the UV colour change. Still trying to get the correct settings for PETG. I think I have the print temperature sorted (235C) but having problems with bed adhesion.
    The glow in the dark filament really does glow.
    The marble is a nice, matt finish that sort of looks stone like. These two PLA variants print very nicely.
    TPU to date has been a total failure, it's like trying to push a piece of wet spaghetti and jams in the extruder even at slow speeds. I have a bulldog extruder on the way, hopefully it will help.
    I've printed mostly with the silk as I showed some samples to friends and they found things the they needed printed in red silk.
    I fitted some stepper dampers the otherday to the X and Y axis and they certainly help reduce noise. It's most noticeable on diagonal lines for some reason. TMC2208 drivers are on the wish list (c'mon Lotto!)
    I've just ordered a pin 27 adapter so I can add the bltouch without cutting any wires. I'm still to add the MKS Gen L board as I need to design/print a mount for it. There are a couple of mounts Thingiverse but I also want to incorporate TL-Smoothers and a couple of DC-DC converters (12V for fans, 5V for raspberry pi).

5. m3k

m3k Member

blueprint3d filament is going down in price and that stuff has been really easy to print for me i use that and fillamentum vertigo gray pretty much exclusively- id get atomic filament but they dont sell here :<

really enjoy the blueprint3d packaging too- its kinda annoying when they restock most the cool colours sell out fast :<

hoping masterspool stuff becomes more popular too i hate throwing away empty spools >.<

6. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I thought the MKS Gen L supports both 12 & 24v fans? Next to the X motor connector is a spare fan header normally for the main board but could be used for anything really.

As for 5v there is a 5v header on the board but doubt it'll pass enough current for a Raspberry Pi 3 which needs 2.5A or a Pi Zero which needs 1.2A.

Also you shouldn't need TL-Smoothers with the 2208's because they "have the functionality of smoothers built in", however I have read some people did end up installing smoothers as well.

If your using an Ender 3 have a look at TechingTechs MKS Gen L board case, it's simple and easy to print (use support for the lower lid though), he also supplied the STEP files so it can easily be modified.

On a side note, printing without a heated bed sucks, even with a stupid amount of squish prints still come loose or lift :mad: might have to try the Magigoo sample I've got but it needs a heated bed to release properly.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  7. m3k

m3k Member

ive moved most my printers to duet wifi other than the flash forge - (their slicer is just so convenient- you can cut up parts so easy)

do the trinamic drivers need smoothing?! salmon skin?! sure it just doesn't have enough current?

i thought only the drv8825 are trash tier with the wrong decay mode :S

8. whatisk

whatisk Member

I've printed some stuff using eSun's glow in the dark and found it hasn't worked that well. Perhaps it isn't getting enough light to 'charge' it though.

9. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

From everything I've read the TMC drivers shouldn't need smoothers, they have the tech built in apparently but remember most of us use "knock off's" from China so they could be slightly defective chips sold on the cheap.

Speaking of TMC drivers I got my MKS Gen L a few days ago, still have yet to install it but set up Marlin last night and dialled in the stepper voltages today.

Doing the voltages was fiddly as shit but in the end got it. Used 0.76v for X, Y, Z & 0.9v for Extruder, as per Teaching Techs video, also set up the firmware in more or less the same way.

Click to view full size!

Nice little board but the green side of connectors for the X driver are a bit wonky, the driver does go in though so hopefully it works.

Click to view full size!

Was attempting to do a 2 colour print of Teaching Techs Gen L case but as you can see Simplify 3D didn't stick both bits in the same spot :rolleyes:. I'll epoxy these 2 bits together then reprint with an M600 filament change command instead of 2 different G-Code files.

Click to view full size!

10. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Status update, been a fun ride! Modded a bunch more stuff

Setup a RPI 3B+ running Octoprint with a Buck Converter and Logitech C920 webcam, have a BLTouch on the way (replacing the junk 3D Touch which they refunded me on) and fitted a Petsvang V2 mount with 5015 fan.

In the future I'll hook up LED's, the SKR v1.3 32bit board and some 2208 stepper drivers. Seem to be still just under the $500 mark in total with all the printer and mods (excluding filament)

Before I got my printer I didn't even have a soldering iron or multimeter haha

Attached is my running tally lol :Paranoid:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I'm worse, up to roughly $968 including the printer :eek: (some of that is postage as well). The printer was $315 but I've got a BLTouch coming, new bed + bed stickers, silicone heatpad, 500w Meanwell PSU, 3 Noctua fans (board, hotend & PSU), 5015 blower, MKS Gen L & 2208 drivers & Capricorn tubing. Also printed mods :leet:.

Only issue I'm having now is, it's to cold to print without a heatbed, bigish prints keep lifting which is really fucking annoying. The silicone heater will be here but not till next week, BLTouch should be here next week as well so I'll wait till I have both before trying to print big stuff.

But those 2208 drivers, printer is silent with them, here's the comparison video I did, exact same Marvin file:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    CQGLHyperion likes this.
  12. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

The list just keeps growing!! I’m getting 3-4 Alliexpress deliveries a week!

Tonight I finally got around to doing the boot loader and firmware and installing my EZABL. Had to cook dinner before I managed to test or calibrate anything. A job for tomorrow!

tumutbound likes this.
  13. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Main fans that are noisy are always on so I can use the DC-DC convertor for them. I've just ordered a new Pi as mine was a slower, single core with only 512MB memory. Also ordered a Pi zero to use as a dedicated camera.

I installed some stepper anti-vibration mounts and they made a big difference to noise. Can't see much difference in the quality of prints so far but perhaps on a larger print

So far, happy with the results of hair spray (Cedel Extra Hold) on glass. Need to get the bl-touch in before I can go back to the standard Ender magnetic bed

14. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

If you're looking for quiet fans that are cheaper than the Noctua ones, try Gelid fans.
    They have a 40mmx10mm that rates at only a couple of decibels (18.9db) more than Noctua for the same airflow. Under $10.
    Cheapest place online I've seen Noctua fans too.

15. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I like to spread mine out between Aliexpress, Bangood and eBay. Doesn't seme as many that way :)

16. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I'm just running a Pi 3 for everything, seems to do a good job but if I start doing Octolapse I might get the Asus Tinkerboard because it's got more grunt.

I had dampers on mine but they were getting to hot so I removed them and went for the Gen L, basically a silent printer now.

Tried hairspray worked for a little while then started lifting :rolleyes: think the cold and humidity is messing with it because it seemed to stay wet and not go super tacky, perks of living on the Sunshine Coast, tropical weather.

Already ordered all the Noctua fans, only waiting on the hotend one, all in all $100 ish for the fans :lol:, if they end up shitting themselves I'll go cheaper ones.

17. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Pretty chuffed with this print on my ender 3! About 20 cm high and water tight! Printed in PLA Silk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    GumbyNoTalent, larszoe and tumutbound like this.
  18. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

19. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Excellent! That silk PLA is really nice.

20. larszoe

larszoe Member

Hey folks in Sydney, any recommendations for any stores in Syd that stocks a wide range of filaments with printed examples that I could check out?