Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

2. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

I'm tempted as well but I've already had to split models in half to build.

I do wonder if it's worth it to just punch through smaller jobs but that could be another 2 ender 3's.

Whats up with the ender 3?

3. Soontir

Soontir Member

I bought a Sidewinder X1, now to get my head around this machine

4. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Lack of time on my part. I bought the EZABL and everything, new board, nozel, glass bed.
    I just dont have the time or patience for it. Ill probably thow it up on the for sale forum soon.

5. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Does take a while , took me like 2 months to get my Ender 3 fully upgraded and tuned.

6. larszoe

larszoe Member

Anyone go dual Z axis on their Ender 3 or other single Z axis lead screw printer? Worth the improvement?

7. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I notice that the CR-10 is now on eBay at <$330 (eg. here, although there are lots of sellers listing them). These claim to have the V2.1 board too (ie from the CR-10S series) and the filament sensor (I've sent two of the sellers a message to confirm this).

Any thoughts on these? I've got a Monoprice Select Mini V2 currently. It's been good, but I've been pushing it pretty hard and it's struggling (I've had to replace the power wires for the heated bed three times, and on the weekend it popped the filament tube out of the filament feeder - waiting on replacement parts to get it up and running again). The CR-10 looks like it'd be a decent option for larger parts (on the Monoprice my current model has to be split into six sections and printed as two jobs) and there seem to be plenty of sensible upgrade options (magnetic bed, auto bed levelling, etc).

8. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Pm me if you do. I'm pretty happy with it and may put a little more time into upgrading it. That and I'll probably buy the mini.

9. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Any of you guys with resin printers want some Monocure Rapid Grey or Anycubic Clear? Both 500ml unused.

I've gotta get rid of it and go to the eco stuff instead because people complain about the smell even though the printer is in a virtually air tight enclosure :rolleyes:.

Click to view full size!

The Anycubic bottle is leaking a little bit from the top, not sure why but it's been doing it since I got it.

10. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I use Wanhao water washable clear resin. The smell is fairly low and bonus of not requiring IPA to clean. I found the grey coloured water washable ones had stronger smell.

11. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

The Anycubic and eSun Eco / PLA resins aren't meant to smell much either so I'm going to try them. I don't really like water washable resin because it's still dumping heaps of shit back into the water.

Maybe I'll try a water washable one as well.

12. Franc

Franc Member

If they can smell it, its not virtually air tight

tangcla likes this.
  13. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Got an order of filament from Cubic today (5 days to rural Tasmanai, not too bad)
    One of the items was a 3Kg reel of black PLA - I'm going to have to make a bigger reel holder!

Attached Files:

14. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Well it is virtually air tight, short of pulling a vacuum in it. Tape around every single edge of it and the printer lid with the internal "filter" fan removed and the hole taped up. I was using the Anycubic resin which does smell far worse than Monocure.

Anyway I found a little ducting system that uses a cheap respirator filter on Thingiverse so I printed that up and testing it now.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Printed with eSun Blue Silk on my Ender 3 and using a Gas / Vapour filter instead of the P2 one because it was only $2 more. I'm just using the internal 40mm fan for now but it pushes a decent amount of air. Might add the 60mm Noctua fan in the future.

Also ignore any imperfections in the filament, hit a wet spot, apparently 12 hours in a dehydrator doesn't actually dry the whole roll :rolleyes:.

15. Franc

Franc Member

if you are using mask filters you need charcoal filters to filter out most likely - just cloth isn't going to get the small VOCs id think about possibly using a vacum cleaner hepa filter.

16. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

It's a gas / vapour filter for small particulates, it works fine with Monocure, have yet to test Anycubic yet. I have charcoal filters if needed, I'll cut one up and stick it where the 60mm fan is meant to go.

On another note, 28mm Panzer I A tank printed with Monocure and a sneak peak of the diorama base it'll be going on.

Click to view full size!

Good to finally be able to print on the Photon again, have to work on my supports and model orientation this came out a little screwy around the edges but it's a tank so luckily it doesn't need to be perfect.

mad_mic3 likes this.
  17. larszoe

larszoe Member

So you can't smell it at all when you're printing now?

18. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I can't smell the Monocure stuff at all but it has very little smell. The Anycubic does smell worse so I'll be trying that this week.

19. Juggs

Juggs Member

my kids are using these at school and want one for home for xmas for the 3 of them to use

are any really ready to use out of the box ?
    budget $600
    use would be trinkets and toys nothing serious

20. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Pretty much all are ready to use out of the box as far as hardware goes, just gotta stick a couple of bolts in them. As far as I know the Ender 5 is still one of the easiest to assemble, the frame self aligns, belts and things are easy to assemble etc.

Slice settings will be the tricky bit, even thousand dollar machines like Ultimakers need the settings tuned before getting good prints.