Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. larszoe

larszoe Member

If you wanted something even easier, as in just take it out of the box and ready to use like any other home appliances, I'd look into a Flashforge one. Is just most of the Chinese printers can have crappy QA issues, so you might be unlucky and get one that needs a lot of tinkering to get it print well. Flashforge is Chinese as well but they're a bit more established and in my experience with a few of them, they're are the only ones under $1000 that you can literally take it out from the box and print pretty well for anyone that's not tech inclined.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/flashforge-finder-3d-printer/p/TL4220
    I'd look into a Flashforge Adventurer 3 too, completely enclosed, so might be good for the kids. Go to a Jaycar to check them out in person and then look at prices online since it'll be cheaper. I I know some schools uses Flashforge so maybe your kids might be familiar with them too.

Of course the trade off is much smaller print volume compared to the Enders. The Ender 5 makes the perfect sense if you don't mind spending a little bit of time on it. On that note I would Artillery Sidewinder X1, the print quality on it is pretty amazing after some minor tinkering out of the box.

2. Juggs

Juggs Member

thank you for the advice will have a look at what you suggested

3. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Thought you guys might find this amusing, Creality CR-10s Pro in the latest Mr. Robot episode: S04E05 - 405 Method Not Allowed.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Edit, the room had heaps of Ultimakers as well but they chose to use the Creality, maybe the glass bed on the Ultimaker was to much of a hassle to film... or royalty issues.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  4. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

The anycubic resin gave me some head coudyness from just being in the room. Monocure resins the way to go. Hardly offensive and good results. Top shipping and support as well.

Not a fan of thier resimax cleaner however. That stuffs pretty dam awful.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Still have yet to try the Anycubic stuff with the filter. Had the floors redone last week and haven't got everything set back up yet. Monocure is probably what I'll stick to seeing it's made here and easy to get.

I don't both with any of the "special" cleaners, just 99% IPA bought from Sydneys Solvents in 5L bottles. I also reuse it as much as possible, using IPA through a spray bottle works well for quick and easy cleaning.

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Still looking for a 3d resin printer :D suggestions would be nice.

7. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Depends on budget, but Anycubic Photon is a great starting point. Also buy a bunch of nitrite gloves, Ultrasonic cleaner and either DIY a UV cure chamber or buy one. IPA is required for regular resin too. But I use water washable resin that doesn't use IPA.

8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

will say around $1k for a printer.

9. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Surprisingly 1k for a resin printer wont actually get you much here, you have Anycubic, Epax, iSun, Phrozen, Wanhao, Creality, think theres more.

Epax & Phrozen are pretty damn good but cost over 1k for even the smallest ones. Anycubic, iSun, Wanhao & Creality are much cheaper but quality can be iffy sometimes. I'd look at Anycubic tbh, it was one of the first reliable resin printers and have a pretty good community on the Facebook page, Anycubic are a little slow with firmware updates and the latest firmware for the original Photon is buggy as hell.

10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh if I had the money I'd get a Phrozen Shuffle. The paraled is sexy.

12. larszoe

larszoe Member

I've been looking around for one as well and this was the biggest I've found for 1k with a decent print vol.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32861315223.html

Though there's almost no reviews on it on youtube, but I'm on their facebook group and some users are getting decent prints out of it so yeah.

From what I've seen there's are like 3 main sizes for LCD resin printers

Small: the Anycubic, Epax, Elegoo Mars. The length and width are pretty much all the same, but with varying heights, from like 150 to 200

Med: Phrozen Shuffle XL, The Kelant, special mention to the Peopoly Moai that's not LCD

Large: Phrozen Transform, Peopoly Phenom

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

so long as one dimension is larger than 200mm

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Found a review on the Flying Bear Shine 3D printer.

15. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

me thinks this model might be a bit to advanced for me but fuck it, jump into the deep end.

16. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Most models can be cut up and printed in pieces, bit more of a pain but if you use clear resin you can use resin to "glue" it back together again. All you have to do is use a thin layer of resin on 1 piece then stick the other piece to it and use a UV torch to cure the resin, it'll cure fast and make a pretty solid bond. Can also use this method to fill gaps but a slightly thicker resin is needed.

17. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Unless you go the photon 1k's still going to be second hand market.

The next jump I'd go is the peopoly moai. I had a guy locally selling one second hand and it still needed a vat for $800.
    Keep in mind resin and all the accessory gear to utilise it adds up as well.

18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i am just wondering if the flyingbear shine is worth it for a starting 3d resin printer?

i can hold out till 2020 for a printer with a larger print volume.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  19. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Just my opinion but the type of models DLP's good for are not usually not that huge. Figurines, gears or other high precision pieces.

With all things there are exceptions. The proton for the money is excellent and nothing is close at the moment.

I say get one, ensure your're happy with the intricacies and mess the tech brings before going big. I have both a proton resin and a FDM and they make a super combo.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I am assuming there's no set rule on the resin - ie. how many prints 500ml will do.