1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I wouldn't mind printing out statues to stick on my shelf after printing :D

I watched some videos and the kelant requires assembly so that's a big oof for a newb who's looking to go into the deep end with a challenging printing tech.

2. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Resin printers should be much easier to assemble than a filament based one.

The Ender 3 for example, the uprights have to be exactly 90° or it'll twist the frame when you put the top support on, the wheels on the X arm have to be aligned to go on smooth or it'll cause the right side to bind and lag, the bed wheels also have to be aligned and tensioned correctly or it'll cause the bed to slip on one side.

Resin you just have the Z axis, aligning that may be a little hassle but shouldn't really be that bad as long as every things been machined right.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

fair enough. i personally don't like the look of FDM 3d printing with the visible layers in the print. it just looks ugly and it is why I wanted to just skip FDM and go straight to printing eith resin.

4. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

FDM has it's uses, if you do a lot of practical or prototype stuff it's extremely good because it's cheap, for instance I've got some small drawers I need to print for electronic components, it'd be a massive waste of resin for that. For figures, models and things yeah resin is much better.

Don't be afraid to build a printer (resin or FDM), most of them now a days are pretty easy to build you just need to take care with the motion bits and with resin it's much easier because all it does it go up and down.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  5. larszoe

larszoe Member

Yeah honestly if you can put together your own computer, putting together a 3D printer isn't that much harder.

6. clonex

clonex Member

7. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'm more of the figures / prop type of maker. make shit for show only :D

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

The larger printers seems to have a lower DPI screen so the details won't be as fine as a smaller printer. For example the Anycubic Photon has only print size of 115x65mm with resolution of 2560x1440, the larger ones like Kelant S400 has print size of 190x120mm but LCD resolution is only slightly higher at 2560x1600. Not sure how much of that will translate into the final result though. Even the Wanhao D8 has similar print size/resolution. It's not until you go higher in price that you get a 4k printing screen at that print size.

9. larszoe

larszoe Member

Yeah that's a good point, and really hard to say unless you have one side by side. From photos of prints, I think you can tell if you put it inches from your face or look at it with a magnifying glass. I guess it depends on the type of things you want to print, if is minis then yeah I think the Photon is definitely the way to go, but bigger things then the finer resolution matters a little less.

The Ender 3 are pretty great as an entry level printer clonex. You can makes lots of upgrades to it if you want it to print better too. Is pretty much one of the most popular printers out there and one of the best to get into 3D printing if you want to learn the ins and outs of how a printer works.

10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

still doesn't hurt to try for a starter... i guess :p

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

For a starter printer I'd suggest the Photon lol. Then save up for a Phrozen Shuffle XL. :D

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

true. don't waste a fuck ton o' money on a printer that might end up being trash...oh well.

i'll keep looking.

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Having some fun with meshmixer and mucking around with some character models like the doomguy collectable model and figuring out to use meshmixer to hollow it out and generate supports.

14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Get the Photon. Trust me you won't regret it. You can easily print larger models in parts and join them, but you can't make a lower resolution printer print at higher res.

15. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

hehe I am still tempted to go balls out :D

Would I need to worry about resin curing in a tank with the printer's door open?

16. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I would keep the printer in a room without direct sunlight if you can. Even with the cover on, I've heard stories where resins are curing incorrectly with some see through covers. My D7 is a solid cover so I can't see what's going on but realistically I've never really had to. Also keep shits from falling into the vat. The film at the bottom of the vat and the LCD is pretty fragile. Even a little tiny bit of cured resin that's not removed can crack the LCD when you zero the print plate. That said, you're free to do what you like. Plenty of people take the risk and print without covers. :D

17. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I've already asked RyoSaeba this in DMs but would it be a good idea to get a printer + extra film and get the resins from elsewhere?

18. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Monocure have film and their resin's pretty dam good. Often get a tim tam or two as well.

19. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

all the prices for the printers i like are going up probably cos the prices were all sale prices LUL.

The tianfour T200 printer looks good for the volume it prints.

20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

how long do you need to cure under a uv light?