Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

so i got some random screen marks in the masking LCD so i am hoping to get a replacement screen so I can go print a 600mm tall statue of old man logan. just need more resin LUL

2. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Man...resin will be my next step eventually. For collectibles/statues/figurines etc its just great

I actually bought a resin printed mini Thorn handcannon from a seller on Etsy and its awesome

3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Printed this a few weeks back :)

[​IMG]

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  4. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Oh wow

How long did it take?

5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

about half a day :)

it's only 15cm tall. i printed it at an angle on it's back so the face wouldn't be riddled with support material.

I have also got plans to print a 60cm tall statue of Old Man Logan and stick it somewhere in my room :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  6. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Haha that's sick. You any good at painting/finishing or just gonna keep them raw?

7. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i have 0 painting ability so just keep them raw or at least paint it with primer :)

8. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Resin is great for detail stuff, currently printing some windows for a diorama I'm making, overall size is 19x15mm, outer frame is 3mm, window is 10x14mm with 0.5mm internal supports one main centre one with 2 supporting ones 4.5mm apart, the extruded bit that'll hold it in the wall frame is 0.6mm thick. Prints in 30 mins and comes out perfectly smooth :leet:.

Painting models isn't that hard either, clean it thoroughly with warm soapy water and dry it, don't touch it again without gloves, prime it then paint it. Thanos is pretty easy to paint compared to "humans", get yourself some white, black, purple, brown and bronze / gold? can't remember his exact amour material. Use the white to make the purple lighter then paint his skin and the interior armour plates, bronze / gold for the higher ones, gloss clear coat then make up 2 washes (highly watered down paint with a drop of dish soap (add soap before paint)) do a black (90% black 10% brown) then do it all over his armour, make a slightly darker purple wash and do it over his skin. Job done :thumbup:.

gtarmanrob likes this.
  9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

the LCD in the printer has some dead pixels in it so i am in the process of getting a replacement screen.

10. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

So are we expecting to pay around $1k for a good enough resin printer?

11. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

1k? hell no, the Photon, Elegoo Mars and a few other smaller printers do a perfectly good job and those are well under 1k. If you need a bigger printer you'll be paying more but if you're ok with a smaller one and cutting bigger prints up then the cheaper smaller ones do fine.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

The print volume of mine is like 6.5L and I paid just over 1k for it. build volume is 192x120x280 while the photon and elegoo mars are both roughly the same small build volume. for the price it's cheaper to go with the smaller one not just on face value but on price per cubic mm - the photon is roughly $2 AUD/mm^3 while my printer is about $6 AUD/mm^3.

I am looking to print a 600mm statue in pieces and i feel like this can be done... I have encountered an issue with my printer's masking LCD leaving some dead pixels and that, in turn, is leaving chunks of my prints out and it's no good and i feel like it's a waste of good resin. I've spoken with the seller to get a screen sent so i can fix and test again. Sadly the masking screens are considered as a consumable.

This isn't stopping me from trying again with this new "hobby"...would be a waste of money if i didn't keep learning by doing :)

[​IMG]

So the software I used is meshmixer to do slice models and add registration plugs and chitubox to hollow, add supports, slice, and export into a printer friendly format.

[​IMG]

There were some attempts where the model wouldn't adhere to the print bed so I went and roughed it up with 80 grit sandpaper and that seems to have done the trick.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  13. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Yeah k sweet. I only mention spending $1k because the one you linked looked to be that much.

I use Meshmixer too if i need to edit prints, its great and reasonably friendly for 3D modeling noobs. I have (what I think) is a really cool idea for a model, don't think its been done before, and would be just great in resin as a final product. When I get enough time, gonna attempt it with PLA just to see how it goes

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

had to clarify: the printer i bought has a larger build volume compared to the photon and elegoo mars.

15. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

So the wife bought be the an Ender 3 Pro for Chrissy, and after printing a 25 part stormtrooper rifle, I've almost gone through the 1kg spool of PLA it came with. Where do you guys get your filament from? I had a look on Aliexpress and Ebay and there's tonnes there, but are there any particular brands I need to stay away from? I'm not interested in paying $56 for a 1kg spool from Jaycar to be honest.

16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i should buy more resin :D

have a look at matterhackers.

17. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

18. nibennett

nibennett Member

I buy mostly from 3D filies as well. Would have a very large portion of their PLA+ and PLA Silk on hand. (Prusa Mk3 with MMU2 so print with up to 5 colours at a time)
    I also have a few more expensive filaments on hand for as needed for extra strength / temperature resistance.
    Fillamentium CPE - (higher temp PETG),
    a few rolls of 3D filies PETG and ABS
    a few rolls of prusament (galaxy silver, galaxy black, opal green)

Been happy with all of that. The prusament is a very nice filament, expensive to get into Australia though. (I get it when getting other things from prusa otherwise works out to like $50 AU a roll)

19. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I like eSun filament which I get from Cubic Just started to buy 3Kgs reels.

20. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I use Cubic Technology for eSUN $25 for 1KG PLA+, they are the only licensed distributor in Aus. Also X3D but they are a bit more expensive $40 for 1KG Pro PLA, think it's meant to be made in Aus. Monocure sell resin and filament, no "normal" PLA though, most silks, wood, marble etc, $36 for 1KG of silk PLA.