Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Please don't do this yet. Sanding the build plate should always be a last resort!!!, I can't count the amount of people on the Photon group that sanded the build plate and had to buy a new one because they fucked it up.

Re level with the paper method, it's the easiest and the most consistent, normal printer paper is fine. Try to find some print settings for the resin you are using and your printer and test them, use a small print dead centre in the plate, it'll be the most likely level spot. Keep playing until it sticks then try a bigger print, if it starts to fail further out on the plate, re level and try again.

If you find prints still wont stick in some spots or just wont stick even after making the z height stupidly low, after that then maybe sanding the plate will be an option. However you must have a perfectly flat surface and keep the plate perfectly flat otherwise you could fuck the whole thing up and then you'll need to buy a new plate anyway.

I cant stress this enough, do not sand a resin build plate unless you've exhausted all other options, unlike normal FDM you have very very little room for error and seeing most are aluminium it only takes a little to much pressure on one side to screw the plate up.

2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I haven't had issues with adhesion ever since but yes YMMV of course :)

3. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

With my D7 resin printer, I just push the print plate gently into the FEP while tightening it. Never had any issues. Increase your base layer cure time to see if you get better adhesion.

4. Franc

Franc Member

Guys, with resin printers - its not a matter if they irritate or not - they shouldnt be used in a normal room where you are - put them in the garage or shed or something!

NB Im about to pull the trigger on an anycubic photon (original) - anyone got any clear idea why I shoudlnt?

5. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I do it every print, I've found the bed to change ever so slightly with some of the larger more aggressive prints. Found a youtube video where the guy provides an .OBJ file which moves the head around for you to test all points, so I do that followed by my actual print and I haven't had an issue so far. Probably overkill though :lol:

6. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

For normal FDM tighten the springs on the bed, the more tension they are under the less likely the bed will shift. Just don't tighten them to far or you could actually warp the bed.

Also the flat springs are much better than the rounded ones, stiffer as well.

7. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

QuakeDude I have some spares of the flat springs. Lunch soon and ill bring them.

8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i think i might buy a dremel to help clean and cut models.

9. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

If you're going to be cutting resin you'll need a damn good dust mask or a respirator as well, you don't want to be breathing the dust in.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i do have masks so i am covered there. i just need more resin :D

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I have a filtered mask and a home made dust collector when I do that. Alternatively use wet and dry sand paper. As long as you wet it often, the dust will stay put. Resin is pretty soft so it's easy to sand.

12. datfreak

datfreak Member

Hi, looking at buying a second hand cr-10 cheap.
    But the controller is missing(caught on fire ).
    I was going to buy a $60 board replacment but noticed that the cr-10 has special plugs that go into the controller...

Anyone got a dead cr-10 mini controller that they want to sell?

13. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

3D fillies free shipping is now for orders over $130. Was about to order some flex but now I think I will wait until I need more PLA as well.

14. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

My Prusa Mini has finally shipped! :D

First thing of the bed will be some upgrades to get my ender 3 back up and running!
    I was just going to sell it, but if I can get it working, all the better.

15. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

It arrived!!! Easy as to put together and get printing. Quality is pretty impressive even with zero tuning.

Attached Files:

RyoSaeba, tumutbound and Stewey like this.
  16. m3k

m3k Member

congrats the print looks fantastic, elegant but simple engineering there- nothing too fancy just relying on basic engineering principals to get that repeatable layering with all the cantilevered axis's and i love how smart all the auto diagnostics are, the colour screen looks great, and it doesn't take much of a footprint on your desktop, and if anything breaks or needs upgrading most of the printer can print its own structure! really cool.
    Win win if you ask me! very clean benchy- looks better than even the one from the i3mk3s honestly. and yea im looking past the distracting glitter :p

17. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Excellent quality and great looking filament too.

18. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

One of their sample ones they provide, it is quite nice.

I was really hopeing this printer would be easy, and it is. So simple. Loving it.

19. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

New to 3D printing - but keen to give it a go in the near future. I've done a bit of reading around and seeming to see the Creality Ender 3/5 coming up a lot for the budget/basic machine.

Was somewhat 'settled' on the Ender 5 Pro, but having a second thoughts on whether to just start off with the 3, and if I really like it, upgrade to the next tier of machines down the track.
    The Sidewinder X1 was on the list, but had some mixed reviews.
    The Prussas seem like the 'next step' up, and are priced accordingly.

Budget is flexible - I don't want to waste money, but also don't want to buy something cheap and become dissauaded by the quality. Keen to get any words of wisdom!

20. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

The Ender 3 & Ender 5 are basically the same. Ender 3 is a good printer and dirt cheap, assembly can be tricky, if not done right it'll throw out the whole printer. Ender 5 is much easier to build, self aligning frame, easy to enclose etc.

Haven't seen much on the Sidewinder so can't comment. I know Artillery do make some decent printers though.

Don't think of Prusa as "the next step up", realistically they aren't, yes they use slightly better quality parts (3d printed parts are questionable for longevity) but in reality you can get the exact same print quality from a properly tuned Ender 3 for a fraction of the cost. Prusa also has the massive downside of using rods and bearings, they can be noisy, need to be kept clean and oiled regularly, extrusions and wheels on the other hand can be dusty as hell (like mine) and will still work.

With Prusa, you aren't really paying for a good printer, you're paying for support, if you have issues they'll help you fix them, with Creality or similar brands, once you buy it, good luck. The good thing with popular cheap printers, massive community to help so support really becomes a non issue if you're willing to do a little digging and asking for help.

As far as mixed reviews go, any printer that has to be built by the user will have mixed reviews, people expect these things to be like microwaves, pull them out of the box, plug them in and they work. That isn't the case, any printer you have to build has to be built correctly.
    Lets take the Ender 3 for example, the uprights that support the Z axis have to be exactly 90°so the top rail just drops on and everything lines up without having to force it, this is an issue people still have, they don't make sure they sit nicely at 90°then force the top rail on, now they have a tweaked frame, which produces shit prints because it's not aligned properly and it throws out the Z & X asis, now they give a bad review on a "shit" printer.

Cheap printers are actually good quality as long as you go a known brand like Creality, while the printers are cheap, once built correctly they are solid and really require little to no modding to get good prints.

Andres likes this.