1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. grrrr

grrrr Member

I usually just print more objects if they are small.
    Cura has minimum a layer time where it will go park until the time is up.

2. grrrr

grrrr Member

I don't have clear walls and you want the camera close enough to be able to see if bad stuff is happening.

3. m3k

m3k Member

as Ive been told/understand abs+ is just a mixture of ABS and PLA, in fact if that is the case its low warp and pla annealing property's would mean id probably be happy with replacing abs totally with it- I really dislike printing in ABS but there are a few scenarios where i am requested to so i keep some spools offhand

warping is a headache- and using a heated enclosure is neither power efficient or fun to wait for it to heat up etc etc but if you're printing car parts for engine bays etc- and you need to print nylon/PCABS,glassfibernylon etc etc- youre kinda stuck having to use one- especially for larger prints i think the patent has expired too so i think we will see some exciting printers in the next few years

grrrr likes this.
  4. mtma

mtma Member

I actually experienced really good results with both Colorfabb PA-CF (and XT-CF20) without a heated chamber, and another person I know reported good results with the eSun ePA-CF too on an unenclosed Prusa. Though the prints weren't actually huge, but the filled nylon filaments seem to be pretty stable and relatively easy to print. The new filaments aren't anything like the finicky Taulman 618 and 638 which is quite picky.

ED- one thing that you should really do if you get into exotics is to have a dry chamber filament feed system. Sealed from the container all the way to the hot end ideally. A lot of the time spent on exotics is really the initial re-drying process, and being able to keep it dry for longer will minimise the need for that.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  5. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

SO my girl spilt a cup of coffee off the desk and onto my stack of Printer filament. When I go to use some, i have to go through and clean the roll. Sigh. This latest one, i cleaned about 100 metres of filament before i was satisfied there was no more coffee within the spool haha. sigh.

6. rbialek

rbialek Member

So I've been looking at getting a resin printer for some time now, mostly for miniatures and scale models.
    Some of the ones I've been looking at are;
    Anycubic photon S
    Elegoo mars
    Qidi tech Shadow 5.5

Thing is I don't know a huge amount about the differences, if any. What kind of resin I'd be using or what's best fit for each printer. Also where to buy the printers or resins, obviously eBay is an option but I've had issues with warranties and such buying through eBay.

If you've got recommendations on printers/accessories/etc I'd love to hear it.
    Cheers guys.

7. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Elegoo Saturn that was just launched yesterday seems to be the best of the bunch, but won't be available until later this year. I'll most probably upgrade to that. If you want one now, the Phrozen Sonic Mini seems to be the best option.

h2oxide and rbialek like this.
  8. m3k

m3k Member

just print a filament filter?

millsy likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Member

Picked up this dirt cheap Monoprice Mini v2 from Amazon Outlet:
    [​IMG]

Prints quite reasonably straight out of the box with 4 year old PLA:
    [​IMG]

Only thing i did there was give the bed a quick level by eye.

10. millsy

millsy Member

I was very interested in getting one of those, was a bit unsure on the print size to be honest. Keen to hear how it goes.

11. VIP3R

VIP3R Member

That thing is pretty cute.
    What is the print volume?

12. millsy

millsy Member

If I recall it's advertised at 120x120x120

13. kjparker

kjparker Member

Shame, I'm assuming they are now out of stock, as the same machine is now listed at over $1100 AUD, got a link to the one you bought to confirm?

14. millsy

millsy Member

15. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah, i got it via the Ozbargain link. But when i clicked through to checkout it offered me a $50 discount on the $119 ticket price. Who was I to argue with a discount.

Just noticed to that the Ozbargain post has $129 on the ticket, so even cheaper again. https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/545319

millsy likes this.
  16. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Hey peeps! Anybody know why the creality would be printing like this?
    The borders and bottom were absolutely perfect... But this is a complete mess.

[​IMG]

17. grrrr

grrrr Member

Hi Mad, more information please? Material, temps, speeds, layer height, nozzle, fan speed? The infill might be going too fast, or getting too cold. Try increasing the width of the infil or slowing it down. Do you have a some sort of silicone sock or insulation on the hotend to help it maintain temp?
    https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/weak-infill/

so i print perimeters at nozzle width 0.4mm , and often print the infill at 1.2 to 1.5x the nozzle width. You may need more perimeters if the infill pattern can be seen on the outside of the print.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  18. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

spd is 50, temp 200, material PLA, layer height, .16 fan speed was only 20 apparently. Nozzle is .4

I've had nothing but trouble getting this damn thing leveled. I used a guide on youtube, where it printed a series of squares, and it did it perfectly, but now, it's not level again, and I've been working most the morning to get it level :(

EDIT: Can you use paper as a base? I've got a removable magnetic mat, which I think is the problem (it's pretty scratched up and stuff, and the material doesn't seem to stick to it).

I'm looking at getting a glass mat, but won't be here for almost 2 weeks :(

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  19. A Gringo

A Gringo Member

20. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

It's not actually sticking to the platform properly now.

I'm going to wait, replace the magnetic mat with a glass mat and then continue trouble shooting, to rule out the mat being a problem.