Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. arytel

arytel Member

I had similar issues with my Ender 5. with Cura I have a an initial layer settings where I reduce the layer height. For a 0.16mm layer, the first layer is 0.14mm.
    This seems to work with the magnetic mat for me.

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I have a feeling it's because the mat has imperfections in it, particularly, that I've noticed since I've removed it, some indentations.

3. arytel

arytel Member

my mat is possibly the same, have you done the 5 point bed levelling prompt with the printer.
    I use a )nonsticky part) of a post it note, which is about the thickness of adjustment for zero you need.

This is under Prepare - Auto Bed levelling )except it isn't), you have to go in and move it to the next point. Do this, adjust, and redo all points as a recheck.

btw, the F-up'd parathensis is due to my kids loosing my key 9 *sigh*

4. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Oh dear :D

But yeah, I've done the leveling. It isn't working, because there are points (that aren't in the corners or direct centre) that are the same as others. Unfortunately they're all over the mat.

I just used normal paper.

My only concern is, do you do it so there's pressure on the paper when you move it? No pressure? Some? Can barely move the paper? HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH DAMN IT! haha

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  5. arytel

arytel Member

I adjusted it so it was slightly scratching the paper at all points, however between an outer and the centre, I made sure the centre was best.
    Find a small print i.e. 20mm cal cube to try this out, mainly due to it being small and quick.

Also what temps are you using I'm using a print temp of 205°C and bed temp of 65°C and its working well.
    Keep the speed down until you get the adhesion sorted.

6. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Hmm fair point.

Can you print directly onto the heat bed?

If I were to put a layer of masking tape (the white stuff) over the bed, would that be fine?

7. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Problem with focusing on the centre though, it can be significantly lower than the outside, which means the material won't come out when it does the test run up the left hand side, and then the centre printing will be thrown oiff bercause of it.

8. arytel

arytel Member

maybe, but I've never bothered. Just make sure you can get adherance.

When I had these problems what I read was to up the bed temp until it sticks.

9. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah. I increased it to 65 and tbh, it's much better. It's sticking. I've started a cube printing, and it seems to be going, but I've noticed a corner is slightly risen.

I've also reduced the speed at which it's printing.

So it's now: 210 nozzle, 65 bed, 14 layer height, 40 speed.

10. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

It legit almost finished, then detached from the mat and stuffed up :(

11. Franc

Franc Member

I have magnetic beds in 2 of 3 of my printers. Not printing properly with the magnetic bed was a leveling and first layer settings issue, I played around with it a lot to get the prints to work - and it generally does now.

Oh, and if you dont have auto levelling, get a feeler gauge and level with that rather than a random sheet of paper.

12. grrrr

grrrr Member

I use a feeler gauge to level.
    I used the M3 scotch blue painters tape from bunnings on the heat bed to get PLA to stick.

Is there a specific reason for using the 0.14mm layer height? Try a 0.24 test cube.

Curling with PLA is unusual but is usually caused from rapid cooling or 'wet' filament.
    Is the printer exposed to drafts? In a room and every time you go to check the printer u bring cold air into the room and warp the print? Can you try rigging a blanket over it and doing a test print.
    If PLA has been out of a sealed environment then it can benifit from drying in a dehydrator or build a ghetto cardboard enclosure around your hot bed with a fan between the bed and the filament (i have done this multiple times as i dont have a dehydrator yet and not allowed to use the oven).

13. kjparker

kjparker Member

WOW. I would have bought one at that price too! Sorry I missed it!

14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Just ordered another resin SLA printer. Elegoo Mars Pro hopefully arriving this friday. Was waiting for the Saturn but my resin printer UV array died and can't really wait for the part to arrive from China. So I'd just get something for now and maybe sell one of them on later and get a Saturn. I did order a Photon S previously but they did not deliver and after weeks of waiting they said they couldn't work out my address because I put Perth down as the city and my post code doesn't match that. I got a refund instead. Was gonna order a Sonic Mini but that was out of stock too. Such a pain currently getting anything.

I fixed my curling PLA with a grow tent off ebay. It's now nice and warm inside the tent when printing and curling is not an issue anymore. And got a dehydrator off facebook market place to dry my filaments and prints. Loving the dehydrator. :D Dry my painted parts so much faster.

15. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

really enjoying this wham bam buildplate, it's a spring sheet steel base with a PEX sheet ontop. You get the mirror finish of a glass/mirror build plate but none of the difficulty in removing prints.

First vs final layer comparison, shine on the top is nuts. Huge difference coming from buildtak.
    [​IMG]

A quick vid on removing prints
    https://imgur.com/GGSkP9d

Definitely not a cheap mod but well worth it IMO.

m3k likes this.
  16. Franc

Franc Member

I have generic magnetic bed, and love it for removing prints.

17. kjparker

kjparker Member

Nice. Where did you buy yours from?

18. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

DIrect from whambam. Pretty costly but came within 2 weeks from the states.

19. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I like the glass plate that I got with my Ender 3 Pro. Print sticks well to it without needing any extra tape or glue and after it cools off a bit the prints just pops off it naturally.

20. kjparker

kjparker Member

I like the idea of the metal build plate, as I am considering adding an inductive sensor to my printer for bed levelling and this would make life so much easier