Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. m3k

m3k Member

sick looking forward to the final result

2. uLa32

uLa32 Member

i’ve had a quick look but cant find a thread with regards to suggestions on how to improve/fix printing errors. is there one? or do i just ask here?

3. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

I think most of the 3d printer talk goes on here. Mayhaps we need another one for tweaking?

Boom, created.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    uLa32 likes this.
  4. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Printing PETG? I have found that PETG is very picky about glue stick. You only need the thinnest layer possible otherwise it does not stick for shit. Bits end up stuck to the hot end and everything get tangled and just generally sucks. What I ended up doing was putting down a thickish layer and then wiping it off with a damp rag but not folding it over again ect so that the rag got filled with dilute glue and just smearing that all over.

ABS likes it thick and hot.

PLA just straight glass is often OK otherwise a little bit of glue like PETG is fine.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Outcast_Aussie likes this.
  5. Revenger

Revenger Member

I started my own filament spreadsheet datasheet here, so far only have the types I found listed.
    It's publicly editable so feel free to add in data.

Probably needs some extra columns for stuff for the more advanced like first layer and general speed, recommended layer height, first layer tips etc.

Hoping to use it as a reference when I go to print and may be beneficial to all you also.
    I'll rename it be more generic later.

So far I found 34 types of filament.

Go ahead add info in and columns etc so we can turn this into a community guide.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  6. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I have added the ones I have used, Might want to add it to your Sig.

The issue with things like that is all hot ends / printers are different so tuning is required for most people (other than identical machines from a brand with good quality control). So things like ideal temps may not be practical.

CQGLHyperion likes this.
  7. Revenger

Revenger Member

Will do with the Sig.
    Mby we can have recommended columns for the most common printers or something, I knew that each printer the settings are slightly different.

8. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I would still say to scrap that column all together, even different brands of the same plastic handle differently so if you want to provide specific Temps you would need to have Plastic by Type, brand and then printer. It would become a monster very quickly.

Also Ideal Temp can mean different things, IE PLA I find a lower Temp provides a cleaner print (I use 180-185 most times) but for something that is structural I normally run at like 200-210 for better layer adhesion.

9. Andyj965

Andyj965 Member

Hi All,
    Sorry if this has been covered previously. I'm planning on buying a Ender 3 v2 when they're available here. Just hoping to get recommendations for a local seller.
    Thanks,
    Andy

10. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Join this facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/3DPRINTINGALCHEMY
    It's a new group, but the admin previously ran 3D printing Australia and i believe is a dealer for Creality. Was selling Ender 3 Pro for $300 delivered a couple of months ago.

11. Revenger

Revenger Member

You can get the Ender 3 V2 from Creality direct on Aliexpress.

Feel free to give me a pm etc, I understand what your saying and wouldn't mind learning about it more and a way to present that.

12. Andyj965

Andyj965 Member

I was thinking about that but was hoping for local in case there's any warranty issues
    Thanks mate. I'll check that out.

13. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I got my Ender 3 pro from AliExpress end of last year, but currently prices and shipping is not worth the money. Especially when you can get it for cheaper with local stock.

Andyj965 likes this.
  14. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Ebay, with local stock tends to be better than China Direct for anything very bulky. at least in my experience.

The Machine price is low but freight is a killer for heavy/bulky stuff (CNC ect) and you can get slugged with extra harbor fees and tax ect. Got my Ender 3 from Ebay, same with my CNC. When I was looking or for the CNC I could get the size up (6090 rather than 6040) for about the same price china direct but the freight was like $1200+ and that was to the harbor only , had to get your own courier to do the local leg.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Andyj965 likes this.
  15. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh currently climate shipping from China for large items is still too expensive. Gonna wait awhile for things to return to normal or for good sale to see if I can get a K40 Laser cutter cheap.

Andyj965 likes this.
  16. Mystbe

Mystbe Member

Andyj965 likes this.
  17. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I did not think K40s are much more than they used to be , $40 since late last year maybe which is not huge.

18. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh from ebay prices has been pretty stable. I'm just waiting for a ebay sale/code first. Or if buying from AliExpress becomes viable. AliExpress shipping is $4-500 per unit right now.

19. m3k

m3k Member

20. Andyj965

Andyj965 Member

Thanks again. I joined up and got a Ender 3 V2 for $350 delivered through one of the admins. It's still via Banggood but he has contacts there and it's shipped from Sydney warehouse. Now i just have to learn how to create things to print